Ideas and Hopes for the next Codex

Rumor has it the CSM codex will have Vigilous style mini-supplements for the various Legions, I hope Marine Codex 9.2 follows that lead.

That was in one of Valraks rumours vids from one of his reliable sources, 9.5 marine codex contains the supplements for the 6 supplementless founding legions

Makes me think therell also then not be much else new in there and maybe even not an essential purchase (cards might suffice)

Makes me think therell also then not be much else new in there and maybe even not an essential purchase (cards might suffice)

That would be nice. BattleScribe will have all of the updated stats/points. Guess it depends how major the other rules changes are.

Rumor has it the CSM codex will have Vigilous style mini-supplements for the various Legions, I hope Marine Codex 9.2 follows that lead.

would be an improvement. Minicodex rules can be very good because normal books often have a lot of crap which noone uses.

And people are complaining about codex floating and they started with the Aeldari Codex and so BA, DA, SW, DW and BT would be more outstanding - more divers then the others.

That would be nice. BattleScribe will have all of the updated stats/points. Guess it depends how major the other rules changes are.
Think we got 2 new charcater datasheets in a campaign book/CA at the start of the year, only 3 or 4 even rumoured marine releases, Heresy getting a big shine and kept kinda separate, supplemental stuff for 6 chapters in it, seems like very little room for anything generic or new

Hel the book might JUST be the 6 supplements, the 3 or 4 datasheets and everyone else carries on as they were

Has me hoping for generic warlord traits and relics not changing so I can save on a book

Edited by Dark Shepherd

Are you guys sure Valrak said that? I remember him saying there weren't any new models, but he also said he hadn't seen the actual books and was just relying on datasheet info from his sauce.

It just wouldn't make sense to me as the page count on the supplements would only increase with the crusade content and I can't see GW actually walking away from the easy money scenario. They already went to the trouble of coming up with enough stratagems, relics and such to fill out each of the supplements. Turning around and condensing it all (or massively inflating the page count of the core codex) just really seems way too customer-friendly and profit-avoiding for GW.

There are new models coming with the codex, but apparently none with the supplements.

The second point might not be correct as GW went out of their way to hint at, and showcase the artwork for, a Primaris Cato Sicarius. To me this indicates that the various chapters might get some new models, but it could be entirely possible that the Ultramarines are a special case in this wave.

The models that will ship with the codex are apparently:

New Big Dreadnought

Missile Launcher Primaris squad

And I think there was something else but I can't remember?? Was it jump pack Primaris??

You are correct - he did say there would be new chapter-agnostic models. My point was that there supposedly were no new chapter-specific models that would be tying in with new supplements like the round of character models we got last time.

And I believe the only confirmed chapter-agnostic models to date have been the Brutalis Dread and the Rocket squad, although Val has endlessly speculated about a jump squad to tie in with Space Marine 2.

Even though I firmly believe 10th will be the beginning of the end for FB I hope the las/plas razorback makes a come back.

I converted one years ago never got to use it and now it’s not even a legal load out.

(And this statement is not intended to reignite the debate over if FB are sticking around or not.)

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

I would like to see the supplements rolled into a larger tome, sort of like the Liber Astartes/Liber Hereticus books for 30k, at least the UM/IF/SA, etc. ones. Having a separate book is nice, but I don't know how tenable it is to do 3 months of book releases for SM every edition like they did during 8E. I think it'd also be more consumer friendly in the long run, especially as the books increase in price.

Just a thought, don't have any particular attachment to it, but I think it'd work if done right and would be more realistic if they eventually did the same for Chaos Space Marines vs them actually getting full supplement books outside of Codex: Chaos Space Marines.

I would like to see the supplements rolled into a larger tome, sort of like the Liber Astartes/Liber Hereticus books for 30k, at least the UM/IF/SA, etc. ones. Having a separate book is nice, but I don't know how tenable it is to do 3 months of book releases for SM every edition like they did during 8E. I think it'd also be more consumer friendly in the long run, especially as the books increase in price.

Just a thought, don't have any particular attachment to it, but I think it'd work if done right and would be more realistic if they eventually did the same for Chaos Space Marines vs them actually getting full supplement books outside of Codex: Chaos Space Marines.

books are a source of income why would they want to lose out on that?

The topic is what we want though, our hopes/ideas, not what they want.

The topic is what we want though, our hopes/ideas, not what they want.
if that’s how we’re doing things then id like the game to become completely free, books, models, everything.

Sure, although what I proposed is well within probable scope, as it's done elsewhere in the company, even if not necessarily likely. Those have no probability.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Are you guys sure Valrak said that? I remember him saying there weren't any new models, but he also said he hadn't seen the actual books and was just relying on datasheet info from his sauce.

It just wouldn't make sense to me as the page count on the supplements would only increase with the crusade content and I can't see GW actually walking away from the easy money scenario. They already went to the trouble of coming up with enough stratagems, relics and such to fill out each of the supplements. Turning around and condensing it all (or massively inflating the page count of the core codex) just really seems way too customer-friendly and profit-avoiding for GW.

Pretty sure he did but I could be wrong

Its feasible. We saw a low selling codex like Quins folded into main Aeldari one. Templars having their supplement strips a big chunk of demand from fists one. Last Iron Hands was OP as heck. Raven Guard I would suspect mightnt sell too well

It might be more profitable to charge 5 bucks more and put them all in one book than have a few supplements just break even or lose money. Less work to do too. Also PR headache of 2 codexes and a supplement for mot marine players per edition

possibility of Codex 2.0 PLUS a combined supplement book both being released

Because its one of the main complains of their fanbase AND they already done it with Eldar. And BA, SW, DW and DA lost their own book.

Because its one of the main complains of their fanbase AND they already done it with Eldar. And BA, SW, DW and DA lost their own book.

They did it with Eldar because Harlequins were a spectacularly under-selling faction on their own and Ynnari were never anything but an Index faction. And BA, SW, DW, and DA ALL still have their own books. In fact, GW is now counting on players of those factions to buy TWO books - the main codex and the individual faction supplement books. None of those factions were combined into one "non-compliant" supplement nor were they moved into the main codex. They just had their common rules ripped out and basically replaced by the Crusade material.

Edited by Lord Nord

They did it with Eldar because Harlequins were a spectacularly under-selling faction on their own and Ynnari were never anything but an Index faction. And BA, SW, DW, and DA ALL still have their own books. In fact, GW is now counting on players of those factions to buy TWO books - the main codex and the individual faction supplement books. None of those factions were combined into one "non-compliant" supplement nor were they moved into the main codex. They just had their common rules ripped out and basically replaced by the Crusade material.
The thing is DA, BA, SW, DW, and BT all have significant differences from the vanilla codex in terms of additional and forbidden units, and they were gradually getting out of date with the ridiculous "we need an FAQ to be able to take the new Primaris Gamebreakers", and despite all that there's still no particular reason that they couldn't all be rolled into Codex Space Marines 9.2. I'd be annoyed at having eleven Supplements become obsolete all at once but not having to buy replacements would absolutely make up for it and then some.

And I'd be surprised to find that sales of the vanilla Supplements weren't pretty uneven.

Edited by TheNewman

The supplements certainly don't sell evenly. Ultramarines and Imperial Fists probably sell the most, with the outlier of Iron Hands last edition for obvious reasons. If we look at the print pages however, most of the supplements are only ~60 pages.

If they could be rolled into Codex: Space Marines like they seem to be for Chaos Space Marines, that would be handy. Even if they're rolled into a Supplement Omnibus of sorts, that's still a win.

30k is showing you can roll them all together with some quite vast differences in a 300-400 page book, although it'll be expensive at ~$80 I'd guess. However, that's the same price as a Codex + Supplement, so if it had everything, that'd be solid. They already did this before, although with separate army list and legion supplement books, but this sets a precedent on that I think.

BA definitely have their own book still…so I’m not sure what you’re talking about there

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Codex-Supplement-Blood-Angels-EN-2020

And is it a main complaint? It’s one I haven’t really seen.

Price, lethality of the game, balance, how awful vehicles are, those are all the complaints I normally see, and GW doesn’t seem to take much stock in player complaints.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

i do think the next logical thing to do would be to follow heresy structure and have:

Loyalist Astartes
Traitor Astartes

Loyalist book has all the loyalist units across all chapters, Traitor one has all the chaos stuff. But the chaos release shows they arent moving that way (death guard, thousand sons and soon world eaters aren't even supplements, they're standalone books, which feels REALLY weird considering the approach for loyalists these past two editions).

BA definitely have their own book still…so I’m not sure what you’re talking about there

Price, lethality of the game, balance, how awful vehicles are, those are all the complaints I normally see, and GW doesn’t seem to take much stock in player complaints.

NO. Blood Angels had a codex. Now they are in the Codex:SM and their supplement is (lit. a book but not a standalone) ---> just an addition to the codex.

And btw... I dont have any problems with more rules and more books... But in the fandom there are many people who complain about their need:

- Rulebook

- Chapter approved 20XX

- Codex Space Marine

- Supplement ChapterXYZ

- FAQ Rulebook

- FAQ Codex Space Marine

- FAQ Supplement ChapterXYZ

- Warzone ABC ...

@Blindhamster

I think not. The godspecific legions are far more divers then space marine chapters. 

I think the best way would be

- Codex SM with minisupplements for UM, IF, WS, RG, SAL, IH and their successors

- big Supplements for DW, BT, DA, SW and BA

- Codex CSM with minisupplements for ....

- standalone codex books for WE, DG, EC and TS. 

Edited by Medjugorje

NO. Blood Angels had a codex. Now they are in the Codex:SM and their supplement is (lit. a book but not a standalone) ---> just an addition to the codex.

And btw... I dont have any problems with more rules and more books... But in the fandom there are many people who complain about their need:

- Rulebook

- Chapter approved 20XX

- Codex Space Marine

- Supplement ChapterXYZ

- FAQ Rulebook

- FAQ Codex Space Marine

- FAQ Supplement ChapterXYZ

- Warzone ABC ...

@Blindhamster

I think not. The godspecific legions are far more divers then space marine chapters.

I think the best way would be

- Codex SM with minisupplements for UM, IF, WS, RG, SAL, IH and their successors

- big Supplements for DW, BT, DA, SW and BA

- Codex CSM with minisupplements for ....

- standalone codex books for WE, DG, EC and TS.

a supplement is still literally their own book.