Prot's Painted Chaos Armies +Added Pics!+

Prot

• 1 month later...

Okay here comes some updated pics. Perhaps my Red Corsairs need more work before deciding.

I'm so torn. I love a lot of the new stuff. My old Iron Warriors though... they almost seem... boring? Maybe I'm wrong but rules wise it's hard to see how to get as much 'fun' out of them with all the new fun assault elements in the codex. I can see even Night Lords being fun, Red Corsairs, Emperor's Children, etc.

Anyway, whether it's apparent or not, a lot of work went into this IW Warpsmith. He's got a lot of layers to him and I wanted him to be a definite step up from my previous IW armies.

iw-warpsmith-front.jpg

prot-iw-phases.jpg?w=1024

Details, etc here- https://prot40k.wordpress.com/2022/07/03/a-new-chaos-iron-warriors-test-theme/

But you get the idea from these pics. (Sorry short on time.)

I like your IW. I tend to go grittier on mine as well and have 3 different overall washes before I do any sort of details making them very dark. If I wanted bright silver I would play Silver Skulls :P Your skin results look familiar. Did you get the recipe from a youtube tutorial?

I am still on the what legion to do spinning wheel thing. I have 8k of IW at this point, granted a lot of it is for 30k. I am working on an EC army, I like pink and black together and they are weird for me that I prefer them loud and bright when every other army I own(outside Praetorian Guard) is dark. I cringed a little when you said purple and gold earlier LOL. My contenders for a new army are Red Corsairs and World Eaters as both play very different to anything I currently have in 40k. Im just hammering out details on both sets of test models until I decide which one I prefer to paint. Red and black or crimson and gold.

I think you should think about style you want to do. I love my IW, they do look great, especially in mass numbers as a wave with artillery and heavy tanks backing them up. Their rules this edition are great even with the massive nerf to terminators combi-weapons.

Night Lords havie been my go to army for decades in both 40k and 30k. Maybe one day I will return to them but am still ticked about not being able to field my clawed jump pack lords so today is not that day. Paint scheme wise, they are awesome looking and not incredibly hard and rules wise, if you count the fear thing as a bonus and not something to rely on, they arent too bad since the codex itself is pretty decent. They have some nifty stratagems and relics that make them a fun tool kit army even if the rules dont directly support them as fast movers like the old days. I would actually be tempted to run them using Red Corsair rules with Night Lord Paint schemes. 

Red Corsairs as you have read already are fast moving assault guys. They have nothing that particularly screams put me in assault but they can at least get there and once again, the codex basic data sheets are good enough and unlike the night lords, their rules can be used in every turn of every game. Paint scheme is fairly easy as well. 

Emperors Children are another shooty army. Noise Marines this edition are effective shooting units with relatively no modifications for making them close combat dudes but then you can easily add in possessed and Chosen to make up for that. Even Warp Talons are pretty impressive since they at least get to go first. I see them as a very effective mid range army thats fairly balanced for both melee and shooting, but no real standouts for either. Im planning on running my NM in one squad of 10 and two squads of 5 then mixing and matching from there. I have a squad of terminators done but will have to do some arm ripping for the weapons  but if you are starting from scratch then no biggie. 

So you are still up in the air?

After playing my IW, I do see them as having a stronger edge with the shooting. And as you say, and I experienced myself, the Red Corsairs tilt towards close combat.

What I've seen/experienced from Emperor's Children is they do both.... really well. IW can shoot well, but they have no distinct edge otherwise. EC seem to be very capable and I've seen games now where Noise Marines get within half range and wow.

World Eaters will hit super hard, but the EC will always shoot better than them. I love Lucius and the idea of it all, but the being forced into one mark is the only downside I see.

I think.... I have ruled out Red Corsairs. Cool army for sure, but I played White Scars a long time. Also IW are cool and fun as well, and I kind of miss them. I think I may just end up back with Black Legion since I played them competitively so long while they stunk. lol

• 4 weeks later...

So I took my Iron Warriors a bit further.

I am definitely still considering the Black Legion and even something off base like Night Lords. So far the IW have been 'good' but hard to really maximize those cool assault units that you see a lot of strong Chaos lists based on.

Nevertheless, here's the latest effort.

iw.jpg

iw3.JPG

iw2.JPG

Thanks so much folks. It really means a lot to me to hear you like them. This time around my process for the metaillics is quite a bit more involved than my first big Iron Warrior army from back in the day.

So to have you guys give me the thunbs up on them means a lot.... it just seems to justify that extra time on them!

Tonight I have a game. I've played 3 in the past week, and I keep getting hammered by REALLY good close combat armies. Tonight I am not playing Iron Warriors, but instead a close combat army.... so either Emperor's Children, OR Red Corsairs.

Wish me luck!

I actually had several games I haven't reported on, but the Corsairs aren't really doing it for me. 

Personally I love Huron (latest novel is great) and the scheme, and playstyle suits me, but I feel like the rules are a bit of a trap. Just like White Scars, I'm having very similar results.

I've played a winning game (by a hair) against SoB, but two big losses from two different Deathguard players with very different lists. The Deathguard are a brutal match up right now (I think) against any overly assault army limited to damage mostly from melee.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.. perhaps a final round of testing. Since play style wise I have been juggling the armies: IW, EC, and RC. I've also painted a few more tests. Please have a look:

image.thumb.jpeg.b6a2b0e5adce0236d65476fa17ef51c7.jpeg

Above we have some very large pictures... but you get the idea. Alpha Legion. Personally I wanted to try a very different technique. I don't think it worked for me personally.

Alpha test 2.JPG

EC test1.JPG

EC test12.JPG

RC and IW.JPG

RC test IW and EC.JPG

It took a while to come up with an RC scheme I liked. I didn't want the red too... pinkish/or bright. The IW are fine. A lot of refining to get to that lok. This is also my second take on a test EC model.  

Edited by Prot

For me, my favourite of this batch are the Alpha Legion - very striking.  My least favourite is the Emperor's Children (surprisingly, since it is very close to my own scheme).  The RC is also very nice, but I'm not certain about the bright blue loin cloth - otherwise, the model is spot on.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thanks guys.

I am always surprised at how differently people view these things and the feedback is always welcomed. Ironically one of my friends loves the Emperor's Children... he wants to see me do an army of them. 

Another friend told me he thought the Alpha Legion I did looked too much... like toys. 

The Red Corsairs I get mostly very positive feedback on, and IW fall in the category of "I love grimdark metals" or "I dislike grimdark metals". 

I love your Alpha Legionaries and think if you tried to make them look more grimdark they'd be perfect and it'd be a good answer to your friend's critique while also allowing you to continue your awesome paint job for them.

12 hours ago, Pirate Empress said:

I love your Alpha Legionaries and think if you tried to make them look more grimdark they'd be perfect and it'd be a good answer to your friend's critique while also allowing you to continue your awesome paint job for them.

Thank you! Honestly I did think of trying this, but I haven't figured out how to "Grimdark" them while retaining the overall metallic look. So I'm wondering if I do the same process I have with the Iron Warriors, but after the Enamels have been applied, I then apply that cool looking looking blue/green Contrast paints...

What do you think? I'd love to play the Alpha Legion. Very cool rules.

Just paint them as normal and have a grimy dirty terrain base and then make sure to keep the spikes and trophy racks for that grisly look CSM can really pull off. It'd be a nice contrast to the beautiful pearlescent blue and silver.

On 8/25/2022 at 7:50 AM, Prot said:

Thanks but after all the testing I decided to stick out the IW's. Not the most competitive option, but it's a project that is near and dear to me so I'll stick it out. :)

That's a good choice. You can make them look like a really Industrial Metal album cover if you try and I think that's awesome.

• 1 month later...