Prot's Painted Chaos Armies +Added Pics!+

Prot

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/29/2023 at 9:11 AM, INKS said:

Looking awesome man, all of it. which armies do you have now that you are keeping? 

Good question!

I'm tempted by World Eaters, but the lack of codex options makes me hesitant, though the line up as it stands would be fun to slowly paint/play.

IW is my first Chaos army dating back 20ish years. Hard to get rid of that. But it isn't the best to play right now.

Black Legion. This is my 2nd go at them. I sold off after a bit of a run in ITC tournaments. Abaddon/Termies is nerfed hard right now though, so hard to play. I may stick out the Black Legion though. 

Now that I see what I've typed, it becomes very apparent I don't have a clue. lol

Great work Prot, but alas I see you're still on the path of Discovering your true love army :laugh:... how many years has it been now :tongue:... 

Your work is stellar though, the Iron warriors look great! and your latest Abaddon rocks the worlds :cool:.

I did like your Alpha legion though!...  So many armies so little time...and money!

Cheers, M 

2 hours ago, Mumeishi said:

Great work Prot, but alas I see you're still on the path of Discovering your true love army :laugh:... how many years has it been now :tongue:... 

Your work is stellar though, the Iron warriors look great! and your latest Abaddon rocks the worlds :cool:.

I did like your Alpha legion though!...  So many armies so little time...and money!

Cheers, M 

Thanks so much. 

often I become inspired to paint something but it won’t translate on the tabletop. Thousand sons for example were very labou intensive but so limited. 

I don’t think IW have ever been good since 3rd so it’s nostalgia to repaint them yet again. 

im a sucker for named characters and Black Legion was utterly unplayed competitively in 7-8th Ed. I used Abaddon in every tournament. I eventually painted everything you could and sold the entire army when I felt I could paint it much better. 

Now I’m stuck. I’m painting new BL units just literally duplicating my IW. It feels like a waste of time/energy/money but I do like how the new BL is looking. 

when I was trying to convince myself to do something completely new for chaos and that’s why I did the test figs for ECs and AL but I wasn’t in love with how mine looked. In hindsight EC is too good on the tabletop and I think AL would have been super fun. 

im trying to convince myself to skip WE right now. 

5 hours ago, Iron Father Ferrum said:

You should definitely do World Eaters.

4 hours ago, Khornestar said:

SKIP World Eaters?! You’re lucky to still have your skulls. ;)

Ahhh... you guys are the devil's advocate! (literally... the red devil).

I'm trying so hard to be reasonable with my 40K Chaos, and I just end up playing everything. It's like I have no self control when it comes to my Chaos armies. I'm all over the map, playing/painting/collecting everything.

Maybe if I sold Abe and some other painted BL stuff it would help fund this mess. lol

I feel like models are more important to enjoy/collect than care too much about their rules, but you also play way more than I do.

This, I note, has not stopped me from collecting multiple armies, either. :D

I more mean it would be a bummer to sell your awesome looking Abaddon. No need to jump in to World Eaters immediately. Their combat patrol will come around eventually and be great savings.

44 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

I feel like models are more important to enjoy/collect than care too much about their rules, but you also play way more than I do.

This, I note, has not stopped me from collecting multiple armies, either. :D

I more mean it would be a bummer to sell your awesome looking Abaddon. No need to jump in to World Eaters immediately. Their combat patrol will come around eventually and be great savings.

That is true, however I have done that in the past, and I found a weird side effect... some of the stuff just becomes so difficult to locate that I often regret just not... jumping in from the start. I was talking to a friend about this very thing and he agreed. The problem is the supply chain appears to be constricted to this day. (IE: finding Chosen in my area is nearly impossible. Possessed are hit and miss, but a single Helbrute, or a Disco Lord is also nearly impossible.)

I do feel like the World Eaters could be my coolest looking army yet. I'll have to think on it.

The good thing is I have some 'red' stuff already to go: Landraider, 1 Rhino, Khârn, a Maulerfiend, and 10 primed Termies. Also I have cultists already and a new Daemon Prince which could be in any legion.

I'm pretty sure if you Painted some WE they would be Dialed up to  Awesomeness 11...  :cool:+:thumbsup:

Sorry to hear the logisitics of getting Models is as cut throat as your game scene :sweat:... jumping in now would definitely net you the Models for sure but waiting for that combat patrol would save some serious imperial credits !.... 

Don't skip World Eaters... The least you'll get out of it is some awesome painted models...playing some games with them then some credits at the end for selling the army which judging by your current efforts will get scooped up pretty quick !!

Cheers, M. 

News from the Rurmor mill, the patrol box won't be out for a few months. so depending on your list and if you were waiting on that might let you have some breathing room and what to buy now and not. I have now shelved them completely until that patrol releases.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am still on the fence. I may have to sit it out based on the fact I've got 2 Chaos armies going right now. I do love the new units, and sculpts of course Angron would be fantastic too.... 

On a side note I just got the Black Legion dice. I gotta say they look amazing. They did a great job.

1 hour ago, Prot said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am still on the fence. I may have to sit it out based on the fact I've got 2 Chaos armies going right now. I do love the new units, and sculpts of course Angron would be fantastic too.... 

On a side note I just got the Black Legion dice. I gotta say they look amazing. They did a great job.

Those dice are pretty awesome. I have a set and they look really great.

working on my iron butchers (warriors) list. had any new success lately?

I think I have a decent list but I might still be blinded by Terminators. all the little upgrades really nickles and dimes you. Wondering if it might be better just to take them stock

Yup, as mentioned in another thread I did play my Iron Warriros vs. the new Astra, and it was a real dog fight and the Landraider is probably useless against Votann, but it worked great here. It sucked up a fair amount of shots.

I want to really badly get the Terminators working again, but they just don't really work for the points imo. 

I am now at a crossroads I believe. I am skipping World Eaters (I think they just priced it all out of my league.) So I am going to continue with Iron Warriors or Black Legion. I just have so many units I am holding off on painting because I don't want to duplicate them for the other legion.

So far I give Black Legion a very slight nudge because I feel like they are a bit more fun with -all- the units in the codex. I do love the IW though and they do have an angle that I do believe is underrated. I love Bastion and Daemonsmith (usually for marking Oblits hit hard, or Forgefiends.) But I really miss the Termies.

Abaddon is really cool, but my Warpsmith with Venomous mechatendrils laid a beatdown on the Astra Hellhound to net me bonus points for Rise to Glory. (Normally Black Legion mop that up for me.) Black Legion do participate a bit more in all phases. 

I was trying to make a good strong list with 8-10 Chosen in it. I felt with Iron warriors if they had 2 plasma pistols, and 2 Combi Melta's they could hit hard. But I have no idea what GW was thinking with 10 point costs on those combi's. (Termies get them free.)

So I'm a bit in limbo. Both armies offer a unique angle to the game. So I looked at it from a hobby stand point. I got the new Daemon Prince model and put him together. He seems to be a bit of an... odd fit for IW, and perhaps a more natural fit for Black Legion? (Maybe I should make a thread about this. lol)

The hobby side seems to speak volumes for the Black Legion. On my instagram or here I often get much better response on the Black Legion posts.

I know the Chosen combis are nore expensive than they should be but I feel it's warranted or at the least that they're necessary.  Like so much of our codex, they sre primarily a melee unit.  To get the most out of them, you really want to get Wanton Soup activated as quickly as possible, and preferably before they go into their first close combat.  The combis (plasma & meltain particular) give them the best chance to do that, providing low-volume but high-strength multi-damage ranged attacks you can use to "finish off" something wounded by another unit.  Every man with a bolter is nice, but there's a lot of units that bolter shots are simply ineffective against.