Local Round Robin Tourney - 2k - BA

Morticon

Greets all. 

Myself and my coworkers are having a 6-man round-robin tournament this month. 

It's a little bit of fun to get us all engaged and active. 

I'll update you all with games and do some batreps!

I've taken the following:

BA Successors - Whirlwind, Warded   

Priest - Teeth, Artificer

Chaplain on Bike -Rites, Visage

1x5 Assault Intercessors - Power Sword

1x5 Assault Intercessors

1x5 Incursors

5x Sanguinary Guard - 3 Axes, 2Swords

5x Sanguinary Guard - 3 Axes, 2Swords

5x BladeGuard

5x Terminators - 4 Chainfists

1x Relic Contemptor - Plas/Plas/Cyclione

1x Relic Contemptor - Twin Las/Plas/Cyclione

3x Eliminators - Fusils

Land Speeder - MM

Land Speeder - MM

3x Suppressors 

Land Speeder Storm 

With the local meta being what it is  (Tau, Admech, Nids, TKSons and Orks) I opted to get myself a little defense from mortals.  I sacrificed the hitting power for some more survivability vs mortals which the TKsons, Nids (and even AdMech) pump out plentifully. 

I've also gone with two units that I think are local meta choices - Storm/Suppressors - to help out with the OW of Admech, TKsons and Tau. 

Will keep you posted!

Plan for that plasma Contemptors?

BGV and Terminators for centre denial?

Bike and Priest with the SG blobs?

Plasma Contemptors provide some much needed range support vs the nids, the Tau and the TKsons.  I'll get 9 plasma shots, that wound on 2s, killing a  Scarab (if he doesn't pop the strat). 

Also, it helps with suits and the like.  Ive found the plas/plas/cyclone combo to be really, really cost effecient and versastile. 

BGV and Terms for center for sure! The terms also likely to use the sneaky teleport trick if they take a casualty. 

I'll keep the suppressors hiding 90% of the time, and only use them for removing overwatch, sometimes even forsaking shots. 

The speeders will either get me Engage or RA or something similar if need be. 

Bike and Priest with the center units usually, unless i need a mini flank - in which case an assault squad, the biker and an SG squad will be supporting each other. 

For sure! Depends on the mish. 

For example in Tide of Conviction, with no center obj and only a 10" deployment channel, I will likely not go RA or stranglehold, but engage. May not even go Oath.  

I presume you take units of terms as the most expensive unit for to the last, then emergency teleport them away through the homer if they get whittled down?

Land speeders seem worth a look in, with the changes to engage. They still seem a little over costed for what they bring, but in retrospect +20pts for +4", +1T and +2W over an attack bike isnt too bad. 

I presume you take units of terms as the most expensive unit for to the last, then emergency teleport them away through the homer if they get whittled down?

Land speeders seem worth a look in, with the changes to engage. They still seem a little over costed for what they bring, but in retrospect +20pts for +4", +1T and +2W over an attack bike isnt too bad. 

The FLY is nifty, too!! Makes for some solid options getting into enemy territory for quick RA grabs, if you're not able to fight for the center with Oath. (RIP double dipping) :(

So, lists have beeen submitted and theyre pretty hardcore! 

I'm up against TAU first, playing Tide of Conviction. 

it's a Crisis Bomb army <_< (Which i'm a tiny bit salty about, because I used the 25points from Infiltrators to downgrade to Incursors and grab a twin las on the dread, thinking that the player I play doesnt use the bomb.  But, he pulled the Uno Reverse....so..that's gonna sting. 

His list is something like:

2x Crisis Commanders

Shadowsun

10x Kroot

10x Kroot

1x4 Hounds

1x Pirahna

1x 5 Vespids

2x3 BodyGuard Crisis (Ion/2Plas)

1x5 Crisis (Mixed weapons)

1x3 Crisis (Ion/2Plas)

1x4 Crisis (2AirFrag)

1x3 Stealth

and a bunch of drones in squads. 

________

Last time I played a fluffier version of this, I got absolutely BLOWN away - the plasma and ion just tore me to shreds.  I even considered switching to Stalwart as a chaptac to mitigate this on account of all my firstborn - I kinda wish I did.  I dont see any way to win this match up, unfortunately.  And we're playing on set boards.  

There's a lot of terrain, but even if i hide, and try use range, I will lose on secondary. Anything that jumps out to claim will get nuked, and my counter will be largely ineffectual on account of their range:movement options. 

I'm probably going to go with:

RA, Banners and, oddly, TTL.  

Just remember, marines are trained for battle to a greater degree than any other humans, given armour and equipment to kill any foe, but they ate born for the last stands that must be held and the forlorn assaults that must be carried whatever the cost.

Death in victory is still victory. Good luck

The FLY is nifty, too!! Makes for some solid options getting into enemy territory for quick RA grabs, if you're not able to fight for the center with Oath. (RIP double dipping) :sad.:

Personally CORE is what tips it in favour of Attack Bikes for me. I normally run a Jump Priest and Jump Captain at 1500 points so those Bikes will often be rerolling 1s and can be healed/resurrected if they take casualties. It annoys most opponents no end. They either give up on killing them or fixate on them to the detriment of the rest of the battle. Either result is usually good for me.

The moment I take a casualty (hopefully only one or two max), I zap them away with the homer. 

Then, I position them to come down within 3" of the priest. I then use the priest to bring one back, which gives me enough distance to the charge target for a 5" charge! 

I don't really rate that. I mean, they lose 2 turns of movement to do it, and therefore the potential to have 2 models brought back rather than one. If the goal is to get them into combat, they'll probably get there faster walking. If they're in the middle for oaths/the priest is in the middle, the opponent is like to be close anyway. Or move the bladeguard forwards for the charge, and move the termies to where the BG were?

I guess it might have niche application if you bounce the priest way out - you can charge onto an objective 21" away from where the priest starts the turn, however then the priest is high and dry.

The moment I take a casualty (hopefully only one or two max), I zap them away with the homer. 

Then, I position them to come down within 3" of the priest. I then use the priest to bring one back, which gives me enough distance to the charge target for a 5" charge! 

I don't really rate that. I mean, they lose 2 turns of movement to do it, and therefore the potential to have 2 models brought back rather than one. If the goal is to get them into combat, they'll probably get there faster walking. If they're in the middle for oaths/the priest is in the middle, the opponent is like to be close anyway. Or move the bladeguard forwards for the charge, and move the termies to where the BG were?

I guess it might have niche application if you bounce the priest way out - you can charge onto an objective 21" away from where the priest starts the turn, however then the priest is high and dry.

All very valid commentary.  I'll have to see how it goes. 

It's worked well for me twice before with other units, which is why i'm keen to see if I can make it work again - but will have to be a case by case situation! 

Also, I had another look at the damage output of the big squad - the 30" range is a killer.  It easily kills a dread a turn.  Easily.  

Also, can destroy most of the terms in a volley, too.  
I may need another secondary. 

Any thoughts? 

Do you know the mission yet? 

hold 1 hold 2, you can sit on 2 objectives and play passive with banners, to the last, +/- engage/stranglehold, throwing a unit per turn to get the 3rd objective. You'll get 12 for banners if you can get onto 2 objectives T1 and hold them all game. Dont even really bother playing for the 3rd, stay alive and out of sight. Airburst frags are the issue, but between nerfs to indirect, area terrain and AoC, you should be getting an effective -1+ save from tda models. engage for 3 quarters might be a good one. Sit in cover, weather the storm, force them to close to get LOS, then counter. 

We'll be playing tide of conviction. 

I also know the table lay out- and its gonna be rough. 

Only 1 of the objectives are camp-able behind cover, the rest are in cover or in front of it- making me super exposed to be on it.  

Hold 2, hold 3 is tough.  The middle of the board has four crates stacked, blocking los, but, is open on the flanks. 

Whew. Tough game, you have to spread out and advance on tau. Push straight down the centre for an easy run at their objective in the final turn, or refuse a flank? If you mass your stuff in the middle and try for those central objectives you can probably score well on engage and do good on oaths also.

Refusing the right flank, you can get a speeder onto the opponent territory objective T1, still do good on engage, and hold 3. You also probably make it harder for the tau player to do their 4 table edge aerospace thingy objective. it's ~20" from the far left objective to the opposing DZ objective, so a speeder advance could do it. The termie trick would also work from the central forward objective if you havent cleared their dz objective by turn 4/5. 

TideOfConviction.png

Got pretty smashed. 

The board was, as expected, tough to play.  It offered some good staging points, but the amount of firepower via plasma was just mental and claiming was a non event. It meant i had to risk going forward to claim objectives. 

I had to play a very cagey game, and (in retrospect could have even played MORE cagey), but Tau fire and fade as well as some hardcore whiffing from my shooting in two turns meant that there was little i could do. 

My Terms, BG, and one SG squad all went down in volleys of plasma and ion cannon shooting- without having done anything. 

The final score was 79-54 to Tau, who dominated their secondary game (scoring the max they could from it - 12/12, 15/15 and 12/12) while doing fairly well on the primary - especially in the last game turn when they picked up 8 bonus points.  

My secondary game was again very weak, and Oath was the only contender with 12 points.  I got Behind Enemy Lines once (4pnts) and 6 points from banners, before the tau moved on to my objectives in turn 4 and just Kauyonned everything into oblivion. 

Mort, been thinking about your list and this game a bunch - while also musing list construction and watching new knights batreps.

The thing I’ve noticed most about tau is that high powered low volume shots are not effective and that single units (like dreads) get obliterated. As I’m sure you’ve noticed as well.

One thing I’ve thought as a counter to one of these problems is a jump libby with null zone. Obviously it isn’t a guarantee, but could absolutely swing things in your favor if it works.

I'm feeling the Null Libby is gonna be SUPER nb in future matchups.  I just wish it wasn't such a squishy model. 

Very true. Armour Indomitus is a promising Relic to keep him alive. If your opponent wants him dead, they will need to dedicate some serious effort to deleting him with the 3++ in play.

IIRC they havent cleared up the wording on Null Zone to the EU version, so in English it turns off your invuln also, so the 3++ isn't a factor - if you get NZ off, you dont get the 3++. Libby might be better off for the interrogation secondary, which is pretty easy to score now. The Thousand Sons/wrath of magnus risk is low, any current meta TS armies I think will haemmorage Abhor, so it's a zero sum. 

Behind enemy lines, being frank, I dont think was a good choice for this - especially commiting units to the centre with Oaths, having to sacrifice a unit per turn to also try to be in the opposing DZ is tough.

If taking oaths, signal might have been a good choice if you had a unit to sacrifice to actions. 

Who are you up against next? Sometimes a first game loss can be ok - easier ride for the rest of the tourney!