Rumoured Daemon Allies in CSM Codex

Ahzek451

Some seemingly solid rumors going on in the chaos marine thread about a new rule (presumably in the new chaos daemon dex) that will allow about 25% of daemons in your army without breaking army special rules.

Faaaaaaantastic. Something a long time coming and only makes total sense for Tzeentch marines and Tzeentch daemons to be more cohesive. Opens up more tools for the toolbox. 

I was one of those players that started in 2nd/3rd ed. with a mixed T.sons/daemons army. It felt like the main way to play because there was not much to choose from. And playing an army of TZEENTCH meant rubrics, sorcerers, horrors, flamers, and a big ol' lord of change running around causing havoc. 

Some seemingly solid rumors going on in the chaos marine thread about a new rule (presumably in the new chaos daemon dex) that will allow about 25% of daemons in your army without breaking army special rules.

Faaaaaaantastic. Something a long time coming and only makes total sense for Tzeentch marines and Tzeentch daemons to be more cohesive. Opens up more tools for the toolbox.

I was one of those players that started in 2nd/3rd ed. with a mixed T.sons/daemons army. It felt like the main way to play because there was not much to choose from. And playing an army of TZEENTCH meant rubrics, sorcerers, horrors, flamers, and a big ol' lord of change running around causing havoc.

If the rule is in the chaos space marines codex and not from the chaos daemons codex then TS and DG will most likely not get them until they get new codexes themselves. I know some people will be like "They can fix it with chapter approved, a balance update or a faq/errata". Go ask any chaos marine player with their 1W marines how that went for them.

Just trying to temper expectations. I only play DG and nurgle daemons so I would love nothing more than to play them both together in matched play without gimping myself, but just because the chaos space marines codex will let them doesn't automatically mean the thousand sons get the same thing. I mean it should, but ya know.

I'm certainly not holding my breath either.

The 1 wound holdout was silly, the excuses lame at best but I sort of get it. .....but not really:biggrin.: . But a stat change across an entire codex is seemingly different in the eyes of GW vs. an army special rule. They have already shown patterns of being able to faq things such as that on the regular and I can see a higher probably of them throwing in a quick copy/paste from the chaos dex with a couple amendments to make sure that god armies do not mix and match. 

As someone who sold my flamers, LoC, and screamers when Daemons split from chaos, I'm honestly still not too bothered. That was like ten years ago and they were all pewter anyway. Edited by Paladin777

I imagine it'll be similar to the knights codex rule. be nice to have daemons as an option that you don't have to rely on summoning (although I am planning to try summoning in one of my next games)

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is the rules are in the Chaos Daemon codex, as rules for including Dreadblades, Harlequins, etc. are in their respective book.

Harlequins are able to be included in Drukhari without an FAQ, so I think it's not too farfetched to conclude that's how they design things.

• 1 month later...

The demon codex has just been announced so it shouldn't be too long before we find out.  Nothing in the rumours that I've seen so far relate to summoning other than it being "more like a beacon" than the current method (whatever that may mean).

Interestingly, the Master of Possession in the new Chaos Space Marines codex has the keyword <WARP LOCUS> that doesn't have any rules associated with it in that codex - there is speculation that there will be in the upcoming demons codex - see warp locus keyword

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui
New information

On 7/13/2022 at 9:58 PM, Tokugawa said:

Even the "agent" daemon detachment don't affect any faction abilities, few players could afford the detachment CP tax. CSM/DG/TSons all hunger for pre-game CPs.

True with how detachments and CP work currently it might not even work

A video dropped on the rumor page.

Summary:

You can take 25% in army points in daemons. E.G. 2000 PTS would be 500 pts of daemons.

God aligned legions can only take the same god daemons. Aka. T.sons taking only Tzeentch. Chaos marines can take any god but must be from the same god. 

Can take these daemons without ruining pure army bonus. But you do not get the daemon army bonus. 

Hope this is true. This would shake up our tool box of things to use. Which is a much needed welcome considering that we have a short book. I started this hobby back when daemons were part of the book so running a lord of change and some horrors along with my sons was the way to play, I would be happy to return to that. 

In the news and rumours thread there is an alleged leak setting out what the WQARP LOCUS keyword does - basically, it lets you deepstrike them closer to enemy units if also in range of a unit with the keyword.

6 hours ago, Ahzek451 said:

A video dropped on the rumor page.

Summary:

You can take 25% in army points in daemons. E.G. 2000 PTS would be 500 pts of daemons.

God aligned legions can only take the same god daemons. Aka. T.sons taking only Tzeentch. Chaos marines can take any god but must be from the same god. 

Can take these daemons without ruining pure army bonus. But you do not get the daemon army bonus. 

Hope this is true. This would shake up our tool box of things to use. Which is a much needed welcome considering that we have a short book. I started this hobby back when daemons were part of the book so running a lord of change and some horrors along with my sons was the way to play, I would be happy to return to that. 

Now will we have to run a separate detachment to include them? Might be an issue for Nephilim gameplay

It seems like this has to be true, really - would be silly of GW not to be able to upsell CSM armies, and is thematic also. 

If we can ally in horrors and flamers, though, does this mean the effective death of Tzaangors and cultists? Like why take 10 gors as a backfield objective holder when you can take 5-10 horrors that will apparently have a 3+ invulnerable against shooting. Points I guess?

17 minutes ago, Xenith said:

It seems like this has to be true, really - would be silly of GW not to be able to upsell CSM armies, and is thematic also. 

If we can ally in horrors and flamers, though, does this mean the effective death of Tzaangors and cultists? Like why take 10 gors as a backfield objective holder when you can take 5-10 horrors that will apparently have a 3+ invulnerable against shooting. Points I guess?

Won't you have to pay CP and bring an HQ along with the horrors for the second Detatchment? That alone might be enough to deter people. But either way I'm stoked for daemons with chaos marines of all flavors! (and in your example I'd rock the horrors over cultist and gors)

2 hours ago, Putrid Choir said:

Won't you have to pay CP and bring an HQ along with the horrors for the second Detatchment? That alone might be enough to deter people. But either way I'm stoked for daemons with chaos marines of all flavors! (and in your example I'd rock the horrors over cultist and gors)

I might be misunderstanding how it would work - I interpreted it as being able to take say a Daemons troop unit in a troop slot in a Thousand Sons detachment, without breaking the monofaction bonuses - though checking, brood brothers works differently. Even then, 1 herald + 1-2 horrors is decent. 

56 minutes ago, Putrid Choir said:

I'm just guessing how it works, codex can't be too far out. I think a Daemon prince primarch + newly improved greater daemon will be fun to run together.

Been waiting to do this for years. Monster mash for the same God is too fun to pass up. 

16 hours ago, Putrid Choir said:

I'm just guessing how it works, codex can't be too far out. I think a Daemon prince primarch + newly improved greater daemon will be fun to run together.

Until you realise the new LoC is [probably] a 10x better caster with more destructive powers than Magnus :sweat:

But having more tools to fire out mortals will be hella fun.