Rumoured Daemon Allies in CSM Codex

Ahzek451

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

So with some leaks being out there what is 500pts of daemons looking like?

Definately more elite and less hordish. All the troops are going up about 60+% and got capped at 10 per squad, and to get anything out of them will most likely require heralds and their warp storm mono bonus to give them goodies like +1 BS for tzeentch or +1WS for nurgle for a turn.

As a DG player that has been collecting nurgle daemons, based on the current rumors and point costs, I see no reason to bring daemons besides fluff. A plague marine costs 21pts. A plaguebearer will cost 15pts. The plaguebearer has a far worse save, no ranged, no free wargear, no -1D from DR, less attacks, worse WS/BS, and no real synergy with the marines or access to the Daemon Codex toys while being brought with marines.

It's cool and fluffy that we can now bring them, but unless it's cherry picking the best units, it won't add much. Which is probably a good thing, souping should be for fluff reasons and not meta or crunch reasons.

So for 500 points you can get a greater daemon and ONE unit of troops, with 50-100 points left over based on which God (slaanesh being the cheapest at 280 + 120 and nurgle and tzeentch the most expensive at 300 +150, that's all without wargear upgrades or icons, assuming those cost more).

From what I read/heard, one of the best units for the points in the codex is flamers. Perhaps a cheap herald, some flamers and an exalted flamer could be fun to add. 

Edited by Putrid Choir

21 hours ago, Putrid Choir said:

Only issue with that is I think they need to come in a Detatchment. So you need a troop choice with your LoC. And that leaves you with 50pts. 

Is the detachment restricted? Why couldnt I take a Vanguard or something else?

10 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Hmm maybe a LoC wont be possible either since its 300+10+exalted upgrade. That would put it past Kairos in cost

You could do a LoC, blue horrors, and a group of 3-4 flamers in a patrol (3, maybe 4 depending on exalted cost). LoC and Flamers are 2 of the best 5 units in the codex according to that leaker Wallace (#1 and #3). Might be viable.

13 hours ago, Putrid Choir said:

You could do a LoC, blue horrors, and a group of 3-4 flamers in a patrol (3, maybe 4 depending on exalted cost). LoC and Flamers are 2 of the best 5 units in the codex according to that leaker Wallace (#1 and #3). Might be viable.

Oh thats cool. I havent seen any of the leaks i just like the LoC model and Flamers are just cool lol 

Would it have to be a patrol? Why not a vanguard? I suppose CP cost is going to suck no matter what

5 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Oh thats cool. I havent seen any of the leaks i just like the LoC model and Flamers are just cool lol 

Would it have to be a patrol? Why not a vanguard? I suppose CP cost is going to suck no matter what

I responded to it earlier but brother Tyler hid that post too for some reason. Vanguard needs 1 HQ and 3 elites, and that will be way over the 25% limit with 3x units of flamers and a LoC. Thanks to the leaks we know now the 25% is based on PL not points. I have never looked at PL's before only points cause I only play matched play, but PL is just average cost of unit and wargear divided by 20 and rounded up no matter what. So 4 flamers is 5PL, blue horrors 4PL and a LoC is probably 16PL, puts you right at 25PL which is 25% of a 2k points game. Might be able to drop a flamer for a exalted trait on the LoC, I'm not sure. 

And if anything flamers might get a points increase if they get abused, most leakers say it's by far the best unit in the codex for the points so I wouldn't hope for a points decrease to sneak it in later. But a patrol with a LoC, blue horrors, and 3-4 flamers (depending on how you kit out your LoC) is doable and a patrol is the cheapest CP anyways. I don't blame you for wanting to bring a LoC, the model is awesome! Reminds me of the Skeksis from Jim Henson's Dark Crystal, which I think they are based on. 16244811637e30c649438a3a8ea20df28ffaa3c102.thumb.jpg.c541bff8afc4c3eaa20978e505b7a20b.jpg

Edited by Putrid Choir

19 minutes ago, Cleon said:

One thing to remember is PL is a lot easier to manipulate than points - need to up your PL to allow the demons into 25%?  Well if you have a 5 man squad of Rubrics or Scarab occult you can double their PL cost just by adding a 6th guy,.

True, I just read that in the DG thread right after I posted in here. I'm wondering if GW will ever address that. Seems gamey haha. People will just have to experiment. I personally like to keep my marines at 5 though to avoid blast shenanigans. As nurgle I don't get nearly as much from adding daemons as say Tzeentch and thousand sons do. 

Edited by Putrid Choir