Magic: The Gathering 40k Precons

Not sure if this is allowed but the first preview of the 40k-MTG crossover has been released:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/first-look-magic-gatherings-universes-beyond-warhammer-40000-collaboration

Looks like were getting precons for the Imperium, Chaos, Necrons and Tyranids

'Chaos' equating to Cascade is a little too literal for my tastes, but Abaddon is a dope commander for sure. The Vanguard Suppressor with Squad and a curiosity effect is mostly interesting because it's showing off a new mechanic.

Very hopeful for this release though.

As someone who has only dabbled in MtG many, many moons ago-- do these premade boxes come with certain cards, or are they random blisters?

These will come with a predetermined deck list for the Commander format. These types of decks have kind of become the staple for new MtG players as the format itself is typically quite casual.

As someone who has only dabbled in MtG many, many moons ago-- do these premade boxes come with certain cards, or are they random blisters?

As others have said, these are predetermined. Commander is a cool, generally casual format where you have a 100 card deck with no repeats allowed, apart from basic lands, and it has to be lead by your commander, which is a legendary creature. All the cards in the deck have to be in the same ‘colour identity’ as the commander (so for Abaddon they’d have to be blue, black, red, or any combination of those). It’s one of the most popular formats I think, mostly played with 4 players, and they put out a lot of preconstructed Commander decks these days. 

Hard pass, its one thing wasting my money on expensive toy soldiers but Im not blowing it on cardboard. Ill leave that to Logan Paul. 

Happy for you guys though that are into CCG's, hope you have tons of fun with this. :tu: 

Are these going to be 'pre-made decks only', and only playable against one another, or like booster packs to build your forces, like normal MTG?

pre made commander decks.

Pricier option comes with one "special" foil. Not to whine, but MTG foils been pretty curly lately, so caution with those.

Edited by Jukkiz

The collaboration will consist of four ready-to-play, preconstructed 100-card Commander decks and three Secret Lair drops.

Individual cards from the collaboration will be legal in Commander, Legacy, and Vintage.

Here's the more detailed breakdown of everything that's part of this collaboration:

Four commander decks that also come in a Collector's Edition and a unique "Universes Beyond" frame.Decks:

Tyranid Swarm (green-blue-red)

Forces of the Imperium (white-blue-black)

Necron Dynasties (mono-black)

The Ruinous Powers (blue-black-red)

The Collector's Edition comes fully foiled with the never-before-seen special surge foil and has the same card content.

Three Secret Lair drops, which we're excited to share more info on later.

Secret Lair x Warhammer 40,000: Orks

Secret Lair x Warhammer Age of Sigmar

Secret Lair x Blood Bowl

Secret Lair Drop: August 12–22

Worldwide Release: August 12

Launch Weekend Event: August 12–14

The promo card, Fabricate, won't appear in the Commander decks, but you can get your hands on it if you go to your local game store on launch day. 

Are these going to be 'pre-made decks only', and only playable against one another, or like booster packs to build your forces, like normal MTG?

They are pre constructed decks of 100 cards designed for the Commander (or EDH for older players) format. These will likely be a mix of new cards made specifically for this and other MTG cards that fit mechanically or flavour wise with the decks (and these cards may or may not have new artwork to reflect the 40k flavour). You can play them against each other or against other magic decks (in a casual environment).

The Wizard article says the new cards will be legal in eternal formats (Legacy and Vintage, non rotating formats with almost all MTG cards ever) and Commander. Which means that while they are not legal for 'competitive' play in most 'competitive' formats (Standard, Modern, and so on). Depending on what, if any, rules your local casual play group has they are likely to be playable there as well.

pre made commander decks.

Pricier option comes with one "special" foil. Not to whine, but MTG foils been pretty curly lately, so caution with those.

Although if it’s anything like the etched foils they’ve done, they might be okay. 

Looks like the face commanders will be the Silent King, Abaddon, the Swarm Lord and Inquisitor Grayfax.

We've also seen artwork for Calgar so he's almost certainly a card as well. I don't see him as having black in his colour identity so maybe he'll just be a White and Blue legendary in the Imperium deck.

While at least Orks have the secret lair cards it seems quite strange to not have anything for Eldar given that them, Space Marines, Chaos, Tyranids and Orks are the most iconic factions for 40k

Also, these cards should be technically legal for Legacy and Modern.

Which is why I don't like crossovers. If this was a set for his own, very good! But seeing Azorius Control with some Space Marines seems odd to me, and kills the fantasy setting of Planeswalking in favor of 'let's just play these cards'.

Also, these cards should be technically legal for Legacy and Modern.

Which is why I don't like crossovers. If this was a set for his own, very good! But seeing Azorius Control with some Space Marines seems odd to me, and kills the fantasy setting of Planeswalking in favor of 'let's just play these cards'.

Only Legacy, Commander products aren’t legal for Modern (unless specifically stated), so I guess it depends on your level of interaction with Legacy as to whether you’ll see it. Through I do agree that it takes away from the setting a little, I know that people will draw comparisons with Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty, but that didn’t feature guns.