Magic: The Gathering 40k Precons

These decks will each have 100 cards in them not including tokens, typically on average 15 of the cards in each deck will be brand new never seen before (though some may be shared in more than one of the decks depending on colour). You will then have the remaining cards being reprints of older cards that are usually on theme for the deck.

Magic the Gathering uses a resource called Mana to cast the cards in your deck, typically this is generated by Land Cards though there are other ways.

In Commander there is a rule that you can only have 1 of any single card in your deck with the exception being Basic land Cards of which you can have any amount (few other exceptions but they are specifically written on the card and likely won't be relevant here). Typically in Commander you will have around 40 land Cards in your deck and due to these being a cheap starting point those will be mostly basic land Cards and so probably around 30 on average cards will be the basic land Cards. In the Imperium, Chaos and Tyranid decks these will be split between the 3 colours of mana in each deck, and the Necrons all of them will be Swamps.

And so you'll have around 70ish cards in each deck that are unique with 30ish being the basic land Cards. And then there will likely be a few Black\blue and Red\Blue dual lands that you will have duplicates of as these are colours shared between some of the decks and those are common cards put in most multicoloured commander pre-constructed decks

Edited by Wildblaze

How do the Secret Lair cards work please? Or whats in those packs?

They’re limited edition sets of usually but not always 5 cards with alternate art. A couple have been mechanically unique, those being the Walking Dead and Stranger Things, so that may be the case here. They have/will get Magic themed reskins at some point. They’re usually £30 for non foil and £40 for foil. And usually available to order for a month or so and then never again. 

How do the Secret Lair cards work please? Or whats in those packs?

They’re limited edition sets of usually but not always 5 cards with alternate art. A couple have been mechanically unique, those being the Walking Dead and Stranger Things, so that may be the case here. They have/will get Magic themed reskins at some point. They’re usually £30 for non foil and £40 for foil. And usually available to order for a month or so and then never again.
Thanks! A full BloodBowl deck wouldve reeled me in for sure, but chaos is still very tempting Edited by Dark Shepherd

Greyfax is the big draw card for the Imperium deck next to Abbadon?  What buffoonery is this?

At least its not G'man.

considering we don´t know decklist of cards, imperium deck could have G-man as other option for commander of your deck. Some commander decks have one face commander, one optional commander or can have two "partner" commanders

The secret lair cards could also be Commander decks since there is a precedent with the 'Heads I win, Tails you lose' secret lair that was a fully foiled commander deck. But as of yet we have had no indication of what's in the secret lairs other than the theme. Normally there are between 3 and 10 cards, the upcoming Street Fighter crossover has 8 cards which is some of the characters as legendary creatures

Guilliman I don't think would be likely to be in the deck, as Black doesn't suit his colour identity very well, and I highly doubt he wouldn't have been the face card for the deck if he was in it. Calgar does already have artwork floating around out there somewhere that came with the artwork used for the Suppressor Squad so it seems more likely he'll be in the deck. Recently Wizards have tended to do 2 brand new legendary creatures that can lead the deck as well as 1 new legendary creature that doesn't have one of the colours of the deck. Calgar seems likely to me to be Blue\White as Black also doesn't really fit colour wise for him.

wzmnax9ptyj81.jpg

Edited by Wildblaze

I think these decks are going to be quite under powered, a fair match only between them exclusively. My play group has some pretty insane custom commander decks, I doubt these would hold up at all unless I pre-arranged the session. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

GW's going to do quite well with these! Easily consumable and disposable products that a chunk of their target demographic consume again and again and again probably at a larger rate than their miniatures sell. Good job GW, you've revealed 9th editions next and possible final form. 

I'm not a fan of MGT anymore I played a little off and on for a few years but my cards are so out of date I expect they are not even valid anymore. I much prefer miniature games to card games But I know lots of people will be thrilled with this product and good for them. More over good for GW for making more new money on their IP. 

I do vividly recall the age group and attitudes I described in the top there, they'll buy a bunch of random packs, boxes trade swap and throw cards away or just leave them but the real value could be just to buy a whole box or two and sit on them for 5 to 10 years an flip them later in mint condition.  
Or the friends you make along the way, but as we already know friendship is magic and magic, is heresy.  

GW's going to do quite well with these! Easily consumable and disposable products that a chunk of their target demographic consume again and again and again probably at a larger rate than their miniatures sell. Good job GW, you've revealed 9th editions next and possible final form. 

I'm not a fan of MGT anymore I played a little off and on for a few years but my cards are so out of date I expect they are not even valid anymore. I much prefer miniature games to card games But I know lots of people will be thrilled with this product and good for them. More over good for GW for making more new money on their IP. 

I do vividly recall the age group and attitudes I described in the top there, they'll buy a bunch of random packs, boxes trade swap and throw cards away or just leave them but the real value could be just to buy a whole box or two and sit on them for 5 to 10 years an flip them later in mint condition.  

Or the friends you make along the way, but as we already know friendship is magic and magic, is heresy.  

None of these products will actually be random, they'll all be predetermined lists. Though I think buying the four decks and secret lairs and sitting on them is certainly something people will do.

On top of this, your old cards would be perfectly valid for the Commander format, as it is not a rotating format and there is only a select group of cards that are actually banned.

As an MTG player more and more I'm not a fan of these crossovers. Every time they seem to introduce some weirdness into the game or have some chase card in them to buy this limited pack. GW is still learning how to be Wizards level of FOMO. Even when they reprint them in set packs as a list card the odds of getting the equivalent are minuscule. They will likely be weaker than most decks too as they dont have a full set of cards to play around. So even if squad is a cool feature, it will probably never come into a main set to gain synergies with anything else. Speaking of, all of these creature cards will have almost no synergy with any previous set(I can see why no imperial army. Humans would have been a mean one). As a draw to get people to check out magic from 40k, awesome, but this should have been full universes beyond(ie not legal) like the un-sets. Sorry to bring so much MTG into a 40k board, but wizards did it first.

And Warhead, if your not using older cards now is a good time to sell. Commander is an eternal format unlike standard so most powerful old cards can find a home there or in modern/legacy depending. You still have the right idea about opening packs though, its a slot machine. Average card price is around a nickel last I checked so its only those few that are worth it. But when I got back into 40k a Blood Moon and Sliver Overlord got me a codex and a "get started" so upcycle that cardboard lol.

Id rather have them have Wizards do a proper 40k card game to be honest. Theyve tried like 3 or 4 times with smaller companies but Wizards knows how to make cardboard well the game not the cards. I cant remember who said it but the last 2 years the foils have been more tacoshell than card.

Edited by Commisar Necros

As someone who's never played MTG but likes 40K and cards, would the four Commander decks mean 400 different cards, or more like c. 30 unique each and a lot of duplicates? Thanks

As wildblaze said, all non-basic lands will be unique/singleton as that's the format for Commander (or EDH [Elder Dragon Highlander] if you're an oldun). And by "singleton" we mean "the same exact name", so for example you could theoretically have "Abaddon the Despoiler" and an "Ezekayle Abaddon" in the same deck, despite them being the "same" (for instance, I've seen a friend's Blue Commander deck with about six different Jace Beleren in it, but because they all have different names....)

So using the decks listed....

• Tyranid Swarm (green-blue-red)
  • Forces of the Imperium (white-blue-black)
  • Necron Dynasties (mono-black)
  • The Ruinous Powers (blue-black-red)

This means you'll see some combinations of Forest (Green), Island (Blue), Mountain (Red), Swamp (Black) and Plains (White) in most of the decks (barring the Mono-Black Necrons).

Most people recommend running more lands than the highest Mana cost of that type, so for instance BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD (sorry, had to) is 2 Black Mana, 1 Red and an extra 2. So if that was the highest Black Mana cost card, you'd want to have at least 3 Black Mana

There's also a god chance we'll see other Commander/Legendary Creatures in the decks.

So basically yes, we'll likely see a LOT of duplicates, but only the Basic Lands (which is always the case)

I think these decks are going to be quite under powered, a fair match only between them exclusively. My play group has some pretty insane custom commander decks, I doubt these would hold up at all unless I pre-arranged the session. 

GROUP HUG!

Also side note:

en_1o3kly4H4t.png

I really would have made it so that Suppressing Fire was "Whenever Vanguard Suppressor deals damage and was not blocked, all other attacking creatures have Unblockable" (but that would have possibly been a bit too strong)

Edited by Gederas

Also side note:

en_1o3kly4H4t.png

I really would have made it so that Suppressing Fire was "Whenever Vanguard Suppressor deals damage and was not blocked, all other attacking creatures have Unblockable" (but that would have possibly been a bit too strong)

I don’t think your version works, if Vanguard Suppressor is dealing damage, you’ve already passed the Declare Blockers step of the attack, so your opponent(s) has already selected whether they’re blocking your creatures or not.

++edited formatting error++

Edited by Borky

It would work if it had a different ability given like "tap:deal one damage" but as a combat ability it wouldn't work that way. If they did something like suppression I think it would make more sense and "tap a(n opponent's) creature, it doesn't untap next step." That would even fit on blue's color wheel. I think its good mechanically, but weird to call it suppressing fire. Recon would make more sense. I am also already dreading my friend putting this in his token copy deck.

• 3 months later...