The Phalanx: VIIth Legion Tactica

Slips

How many Warders would you run in Stone Gauntlet? I am gravitating towards two units of 15. Three special weapons per unit. Not too large or unwieldy and still pack a punch. Slap in Rann or a Boarding Shield character and enjoy. I feel like units of 20 are overkill while units of 10 are not enough.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:12 PM, Frater Cornelius said:

How many Warders would you run in Stone Gauntlet? I am gravitating towards two units of 15. Three special weapons per unit. Not too large or unwieldy and still pack a punch. Slap in Rann or a Boarding Shield character and enjoy. I feel like units of 20 are overkill while units of 10 are not enough.

My current 3k list plans are centred around two 10 man squads in rhinos (double melta, and combimelta on the rhino) and a 15 man squad (3 flamers) in a Spartan with an apothecary and whichever special character I’m using. Back this up with at least one heavy support squad and a Castellan then add other toys to taste.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've recently been made aware that Sigismund is actually nowhere near as hamstrung by his need to challenge as I've made out; he's not actually obliged to challenge in the active player's turn out of the gate, and can happily chop through anything he pleases so long as there's another character who can issue. He's only forced to accept challenges that come his way, and he's only forced to issue if the opponent declines to do so. I still quite like the 3++ Solar Marshal as my go-to HQ choice, but Siggy just became much more relevant again in my eyes.

On 7/16/2022 at 8:49 PM, Bung said:

How do we feel about Breachers with Volkite Chargers?

They are only slightly more expansive than a 10 man tactical Support Squad and gein Line, Heavy and a 5++ for the Boarding Shield.

I am thinking to add a Squad to my planned Subterran Assault army.

In comparison to the Support squad u are right. but did u need the Support squad with volkites? u have the option to have hss with assault cannons. if  dont want to bring tacs, than it could be an option.

2 hours ago, xxxjtmxxx said:

In comparison to the Support squad u are right. but did u need the Support squad with volkites? u have the option to have hss with assault cannons. if  dont want to bring tacs, than it could be an option.

But the Breachers are compulsory troops with Line which both TSS and HSS lack under normal circumstances.

but i think that u will run the castellan in a lot of lists, in gauntlet and hammerfall special because of the line hss. and than i am looking what i also need. and thats not volkite on breachers, when i took 2-3 squads of wardens also.

10 minutes ago, xxxjtmxxx said:

but i think that u will run the castellan in a lot of lists, in gauntlet and hammerfall special because of the line hss. and than i am looking what i also need. and thats not volkite on breachers, when i took 2-3 squads of wardens also.

I am probably not going for one of this RoWs.

I play mostly without RoW and the RoWs that interest me are Armoured Breakthrough and Underground Assault.

Mostly the later one.

Oh, and something flagged in another thread - if you're tight for points, Castaferrums are a significantly cheaper way of pulling off the double-assault cannon Dreadnought trick. The Contemptor's stats are far beefier and the pips of speed make it more dangerous in the midfield, but ol' boxy has just as much firepower and is still very dangerous to most targets in cc (though perhaps in more of a supporting, than starring role).

7 hours ago, Scammel said:

Oh, and something flagged in another thread - if you're tight for points, Castaferrums are a significantly cheaper way of pulling off the double-assault cannon Dreadnought trick. The Contemptor's stats are far beefier and the pips of speed make it more dangerous in the midfield, but ol' boxy has just as much firepower and is still very dangerous to most targets in cc (though perhaps in more of a supporting, than starring role).

Note that ye olde box-naught is also "heavy" sub type, so situationally a bit more durable too.  There are a lot of template/blast weapons that will not be able to ignore their 2+ save, so rerolling that will make them practically immune to those weapons.

7 hours ago, Canadian_F_H said:

Note that ye olde box-naught is also "heavy" sub type, so situationally a bit more durable too.  There are a lot of template/blast weapons that will not be able to ignore their 2+ save, so rerolling that will make them practically immune to those weapons.

I'm strongly considering running a Boxnaught with dual CCWs and assault cannons in Zone Mortalis games. At 170 points, you aren't winning friends, but you are winning games... throwing out 8 S6 AP4 rending shots and then having 4 attacks, 5 on the charge at S9 AP2 Brutal? Delightful.

Command squad or huscarls make best use of solarite gauntlets with WS5. Shame we are limited in this. Situational other ways to get it with Solar Marshal on non-HQ termis.  

I'm building troop termis for Pride of the Legion just with vigil shields & power axe/autocannon/combi bolter mix

Tartaros command squad with vigil & solarite in proteus or deepstriking with Sigi or Dorn makes alot of sense

Edited by Heir of Sigismund

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder that if you have a WB player in your group and they are very fond of Gal Vorbak (or T4 units with Battle-Hardened and equivalent rules) that our Sol Gloves are a fixed S10 meaning we can still ID them if they dont have EW.

And with Mechanicum getting their book, having S10 will also be very nice to have when it comes to punching robots.

The AP1 helps get explodes results on vehicles as well... tho that might be more of a problem than a benefit for melee units since explodes is S8 now.  You'd probably rather just chip away all the HP vs risking it immolating a bunch of the squad that took it out.

• 5 months later...

The Phalanx has been quiet for a while! But thought I would pop in to consult on weapon load outs for Castellans. I’m converting mine up at the moment and I’ve decided against trying to magnetise it, so that I can concentrate on making it look good. I see a couple of people have weighed in above with one opting for Autocannon and one for Assault Cannon. Here’s my thoughts;

It’s definitely worth upgrading from the Heavy Bolter to get Rending, plus the extra strength for instant death-ing Solar Aux is a nice bonus. Autocannon is Master Crafted with slightly higher strength and much longer range than the AC, but with 3 shots (in the hands of the Castellan) compared to 5 for the AC. In contrast, the AC loses Master Crafted, but hitting on 2+ with 5 shots it’s probably a wash. I think the real difference is range, but that obviously depends on what you’re doing with him as to how relevant that is. Roaming around with an Illiastus HSS sounds like fun, in which case the range doesn’t matter, but the strength might come in handy. What do you think?

Also, worth giving him a power or charnabal weapon? Or a waste of points?

Although i am one of the greatest supporters of Assault Cannons, i'd choose the Autocannon on the Castellan.

That way, you could seperate him for a turn, have still some volume of fire, and could try to scratch the last HP of a Vehicle/Dread, without sacrificing/wasting the whole squads Firepower. =]

For a squad or two of happy campers in the backfield, the Autocannon is obviously the ideal option and a power weapon helps ensure that he isn't simply chased away by random small squads of faster enemies. This said, I've seen some fun and unpleasant ideas that revolve around three Assault Cannon-wielding squads in Land Raiders or Rhinos where the Iliastus seems preferable, and you'll want full kit (namely a Storm Shield) for front-line combat. 

7 hours ago, Scammel said:

For a squad or two of happy campers in the backfield, the Autocannon is obviously the ideal option and a power weapon helps ensure that he isn't simply chased away by random small squads of faster enemies. This said, I've seen some fun and unpleasant ideas that revolve around three Assault Cannon-wielding squads in Land Raiders or Rhinos where the Iliastus seems preferable, and you'll want full kit (namely a Storm Shield) for front-line combat. 

I was thinking one backfield camper with the obligatory lascannon, and one roving menace with assault cannons, so he could realistically go with either with an Autocannon, but the assault cannon only makes sense with the assault cannon unit. Maybe that flexibility is the answer then.

I’m not a massive fan of spam lists (he says after suggesting taking two HSS, but at least they’re equipped for different jobs!), so the triple assault cannon list isn’t for me. Though I can see the appeal! Also, I’ve got a Rotor Cannon squad in the collection already, so I’m using actual assault cannon for my HSS to differentiate them, and that’s been expensive enough just for one squad!

I had to double check about the Vigil Storm Shield, but the prohibitions don’t include it, despite listing boarding shields and combat shields, go figure! I might not model one on, just in case they do an Errata for it, as it doesn’t really make sense he can take a Vigil Storm Shield but a Combat Shield is, what, too cumbersome?!

14 hours ago, Bung said:

If you dont want to get spamy play a Veteran Squad with Assault Cannons and the IAC Castellan.

You still get the Line HSS.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve settled on the Autocannon, as that will make him useful when sitting in the back line with a longer ranged HSS, but still adding value in a roving IAC HSS squad. I have quite a competitive Elites slot already, so we’ll have to see about Veterans, but maybe one day!