The Crimson Host: IXth Legion Tactica

Slips

Hard to say. You only get one challenge per combat as far as I can tell, so only one of them will have the boosted statline while the rest are swinging slightly better power swords. They do get ID at initiative, but I don't think they'll be sweeping Terminators away, and I'm not sure it's better than just taking a command squad with a few fists/combi-meltas.

I can't see them as worth it without the jump packs, too many points to spend that long getting to and between melees, with the jump packs I think they serve the same role as Dawnbreakers, it's then personal preference between the potential for larger squads, but taking up an elite slot with the dawnbreakers or better but more expensive smaller squad in the HQ/retinue squad for the new guys.

I'm probably a good year or so away from having my HH Blood Angels playable (as the lack of plastic jumpers caused them to be uninspiring)  so I'm not rushing to make a decision, will keep an eye on others experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 3:27 AM, Cleon said:

I can't see them as worth it without the jump packs, too many points to spend that long getting to and between melees, with the jump packs I think they serve the same role as Dawnbreakers, it's then personal preference between the potential for larger squads, but taking up an elite slot with the dawnbreakers or better but more expensive smaller squad in the HQ/retinue squad for the new guys.

I'm probably a good year or so away from having my HH Blood Angels playable (as the lack of plastic jumpers caused them to be uninspiring)  so I'm not rushing to make a decision, will keep an eye on others experience.

Why not just not get 40k assault marines and convert the mark vii armor pieces? That's what I did. 

One traitor BA player just ran mark vii jump packs along with his mark iv. I thought they looked good.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

11 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

Why not just not get 40k assault marines and convert the mark vii armor pieces? That's what I did. 

One traitor BA player just ran mark vii jump packs along with his mark iv. I thought they looked good.

Honestly, I'm fed up of the modern era jump pack, I've painted far too many of them over the years and I want my HH BA to be more different than my 40k than that.

That's cool. I just snagged a bunch of Sang guard jps for my assault marines.

I may end up doing a small detachment of BA since I have a lot still on sprue. An indomitus terminators squad with thunder hammers and proteus shields sound like cool allies!

On 7/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, Sviox said:

How would you recommend getting those assault cannons? Any hood 3D models or does anyone know compatible gw bits?

Make a press mould of the front of an assault cannon, then just cast in it GS and stick it in the fist. As you see with the Incandeaus, you only see the front part of the barrels anyway...I have a contemptor in my BA paint log where I've done this. 

Maybe as more of a trade piece? Deepstrike in and melta a tank is a valuable trade, but deepstriking him in solowill generally see him dead in return unless you can get him into a good hiding place (in cover with with LoS to the tank), or charge the contents (which you can't do after chain fire). 

• 2 months later...

Something I just thought of that seems obvious in hindsight. Crimson Paladins are weird and let down by their durability buffs being completely shut down by Str8 from other termies and therefore tend to be kind of bad. Terminators that cant kill other termies just become a "why bother?" A Biomancy Librarian boosting them to T5 with the psychic test gives them a ridiculous durability boost far in excess compared to other units, but isn't as feel bad as telepathy. I don't know if that alone will make them actually win a fight vs an all fist cataphracti unit, but I do know they will actually be a PITA to actually finish off like they should be if the power goes off successfully.

• 11 months later...

Hi, quick question, when specing out a Moritat, is it legal to exchange both bolt pistols AND the chain sword for other options?

I ask because the Centurion data sheet seems to refer to the bolt pistol in the singular, even though the Moritat upgrade gives us a second one.

8 hours ago, Djangomatic82 said:

Hi, quick question, when specing out a Moritat, is it legal to exchange both bolt pistols AND the chain sword for other options?

I ask because the Centurion data sheet seems to refer to the bolt pistol in the singular, even though the Moritat upgrade gives us a second one.

Don't know where you found Datasheets about the Horus Heresy but the unit entry of the Centurion says he has a chainsword and a bolt pistol which he can exchange for things and the Moritat upgrade gives him a second boltpistol which he also can exchange for things.