The Unbroken Blade: XIVth Legion Tactica

Slips

Hey you guys, what are your thoughts on grave wardens?

Their shooting is great, especially when paired with Typhon and them having powerfists with cheap upgrade to powerfists is also nice. and their shroud is also great 

But them only being WS and BS 4 at 250pts feels a bit like a bummer. 

Other Elite units with WS5 absolutely destroy them in meele And their shooting isnt really great against 2+ saves.

So, think they are worth their points or are they kind of a waste and a command squad or deathshroud would be better?

Honestly I really like Grave Wardens, they're an interesting hybrid unit insofar as they don't excel at one role but do both melee and ranged pretty damn well. I think that flexibility still makes them a good pick, even if they're struggling into dedicated melee Terminators.

In those situations where your opponent has his mini-Death Star and, presumably, wants to point it at your Grave Wardens (as most players usually want to use their Termies to delete yours) the ideal would be baiting them into suffering a few rounds of shooting before Lock 'em Sock 'em Termies begins. The Assault Grenade Launchers aren't AP2, but Fleshbane usually means sheer weight of dice will score you some kills before they close to melee, nevermind other things shooting at them. In situations where you can't whittle them down their WS4 does show it's flaws, but I still think they're a very good all-rounder. 

Deathshroud have the WS to land hits, but you're still fishing for Rendings against Terminators. They can take a blow better than most other Terminators, but they're not fantastic at punching back at anything with 2+ saves. 

Edited by Lord Marshal