Sven's AM - 95th Praetorian Rifles

Well, well. I had an AM army - Squats from the Rymr 1st. But with recent lore changes, I found that homebrew to be less "believable". So, I turned to the new release from Wargames Atlantic - the Bulldogs. Those have yet to arrive, so for now I offer you Fraters this humbly painted Tempestus Scion. As you can see, he's painted as one of the Psian Jakals. I look forward to finishing the rest of the squad.

Scion.thumb.jpg.4155ac70b071b626f5052c6684b8aeb9.jpg

Nice dark black on him, the highlight takes the edge off nicely :thumbsup: What's your method for the black? I've found the Black Templar contrast paint to be a good addition to mine and am interested to find out what the new black contrast does.

9 hours ago, WarriorFish said:

Nice dark black on him, the highlight takes the edge off nicely :thumbsup: What's your method for the black? I've found the Black Templar contrast paint to be a good addition to mine and am interested to find out what the new black contrast does.

It's Abbadon Black + AP Dark Tone, highlighted with a light grey. 

Scion2.jpg

Edited by SvenIronhand

Scheme looks great! 

I'm the last person who should be asking about basing, :sweat:but given the colour scheme you have a lot of room to play with and see some real nice contrast for extra pop. Thoughts on how you'll do the basing? 

That's a real nice black you have there. With the black as said above there is lots of scope for the base. I'd go for martian red sand that would pop and compliment the red eye lenses you have. 

Edited by our_baz

Ahh not just me thats waiting for the Bulldogs to come out then. I was thinking about Praetorians when I saw the pictures but that single WW1 style dude they did totally did it for me. I cant wait to see what you do with them, you just going to build them straight out of the box or have you got any conversions in mind? Oh and are you going to use the teacup? 

20 hours ago, duz_ said:

I'm the last person who should be asking about basing, :sweat:but given the colour scheme you have a lot of room to play with and see some real nice contrast for extra pop. Thoughts on how you'll do the basing? 

If I had to guess, I would say I would base these with Aggrellan Badland or something.

14 hours ago, Slave to Darkness said:

Ahh not just me thats waiting for the Bulldogs to come out then. I was thinking about Praetorians when I saw the pictures but that single WW1 style dude they did totally did it for me. I cant wait to see what you do with them, you just going to build them straight out of the box or have you got any conversions in mind? Oh and are you going to use the teacup? 

I'm probably going to build them straight out of the box. Maybe mix in some of Warlord's 8th Army heads to get more variety with the Pith helmets. The overall idea of what I'm doing is a recce regiment (with Militarum Tempestus support). As for the teacup, we'll see.

Spoiler

The core of the 95th is its two Recce Companies, which consist of two light infantry platoons and a Sentinel troop each. These typically fight on foot, though they have organic Taurox transport. The light infantry of the Recce Companies can perform the usual, albeit somewhat stereotyped missions of an Imperial reconnaissance unit. For a commander of an army group, they provide valuable information on the terrain and the enemy - his disposition, activities, and equipment. 

To support these Recce Companies once contact is made and to fight for information, a Squadron of Siege Tanks is habitually attached to the unit.

Scions.thumb.jpg.00bccac3ebd327956e98866e57ab7138.jpg

Edited by SvenIronhand

• 2 weeks later...

647962036_95thRifles.thumb.jpg.f67c000285eedea612d5677992eecc85.jpg

Unlike their fellows in the Praetorian Guard, the 95th rarely recruit from the criminal element. Instead, they favor the second sons of merchant clans, landless freeholders, and other such middle-class "fixtures" of Praetorian life. These, the Munitorum reckons, are better for the discipline of a standing Regiment receiving an unbroken flow of recruits. Put through the same cruel (even by Imperial standards) training methods and possessed of the same iron discipline as their fellows, the 95th's recruits are also instructed in fieldcraft, counter-surveillance techniques, et cetera. Once turned out, the Rifleman is a capable soldier and scout. 

The 95th has a proud history, dating back to the Great Heresy War. During the conflict's initial stages, they were attached to the 26th Company of the Sons of Horus, as the 75th Expeditionary Fleet. When the Heresy began to become apparent, both sides squared off, each waiting for the other to begin hostilities. Ultimately, it was the Sons of Horus who would throw the first blow, in a 'speartip' assault on the Regiment's command elements on the blasted heath of a world known as Avidya. Despite the element of surprise being on their side, Melhun Barabbas' forces found themselves hard-pressed to accomplish their objective - pressed back by the well-honed Grenadiers of the 95th. 

1335274124_PlatoonCommandCadre.thumb.jpg.ac3c619039851b963e723fb61db632a9.jpg

It was the Platoon Command Cadres of the 95th that made up the axis of the fighting. While the Sons of Horus Reaver squads cut an appalling tally of the Regiment down in the fracas, they were unable to eliminate the bulk of the Imperial Army command structure. In the fierce fighting, though, Lord Commander Patrick "Paddy" Ingalls was savaged by Barabbas. Surviving his grievous wounds, Ingalls led the Regiment to friendly lines - where they would find an opportunity for vengeance soon enough.

989044718_PatrickIngalls.thumb.jpg.96c58d653add730232d50d74649e2898.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...