Attached images in signatures.

Machine God

The images are still in the system, the corrective action is to manually modify the signature.

The signature you have has the URLs to the images.  You can load them, then insert the image into the signature again.

Or if this is too much, send me a PM and I can try to fix it for you.   It's a side-effect of the upgrade process. 

No images stored in legacy BC were removed. I believe the paths indicated in your sig are still valid.  Example:

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_6198/gallery_29004_6198_9307.png

taken from your signature.  

Hey guys, I was just trying to fix my signature, downloaded my old ETL badges and stuff and tried to upload them to my sig. Now the forum keeps on saying that the images are against guidelines, because they are more than x 100 pixels. BUT: they aren't. 

When I checked their dimensions, they were shown to be in the correct width and height. What am I missing?

image.png.8e97f5eb8343145490c5e64b6c1c0ad9.pngimage.png.cc67f940e4c4d6a99360f289ff8fd61c.pngimage.png.6db4466607a0ad5f97b2f8968c01db5d.png

3 hours ago, Machine God said:

Some of my Signature stayed the same but my ETL Badges have been converted to text.

Probably something to do with the migration.

Is there any way to get them back or do I have to delete them?

Fixed?

Check your sig now.

7 minutes ago, Machine God said:

I tried to edit my Signature with some help from Dr_Ruminahui.

I'm still having trouble with the first two badges as you can see.

The URL was incorrect.  You entered a URL as follows (notice what happens in the middle.. it says "...png.8ba..."  As if you copied and pasted part of URL on top of another. That's why that Image appeared broken.  The URL does not exist.

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/monthly_2022_06/gallery_29004_6198_9307.png.8ba777b08eab9867a541a31fb876d453.png

To add images to your Signature (or any post for that matter)

While in the editor, in the lower right corner there is a button "Other Media".  It's a drop down list.  Pick the second option:

image.png.9d351efaccd50e0508b6c0478f739265.png

Choose "Insert Image from URL.

Then In the next window, type out the complete and correct URL (test the URL in another browser to make sure it works)

image.thumb.png.5e4dc3db5d5d115a4389062fabdd7bc6.png

Then, continue with your editing to suit..  When done, Post/Submit and the magic will happen.  The images will be uploaded and "attached" to the parent media content they were added to (eg., if they were "attached" to your sig, then they will always be represented in the future as attachments to that media item (signature).

If they were attached to a post, I believe they will always be associated with that post.   This does not preclude you from using the "URL" of the image thusly uploaded.  The site generated a URL for the image and you're free to use that URL again and again to either insert into Gallery or other posts, etc..

Once uploaded this way (like Gallery images are more or less), the image is permanently part of the collection of "uploads known by the site".

Try again to edit your signature, use valid URLs (test them in another window).

Let me know how that goes. Ping if you need help.

I got it to work, but there was some strange stuff, sibomots, that probably shouldn’t have happened, according to your description above. 

when I inserted the URLs from my old sig into the prompt, the forum said the URL was invalid since it was an http and not an https. The hack that I am I thought: Well, what about me adding that s to it as if it were an https address. And lo and behold, it worked, my sig is back. 

Using the old URLs to reintroduce images does not work for me. I get the error that non-HTTPS URLs aren't accepted.

BTW it can't be that difficult to get Let's encrypt to work with the forum software to make the whole site HTTPS.

Edited by Quixus

49 minutes ago, Quixus said:

Using the old URLs to reintroduce images does not work for me. I get the error that non-HTTPS URLs aren't accepted.

BTW it can't be that difficult to get Let's encrypt to work with the forum software to make the whole site HTTPS.

Look at my pst above. Had the same problem, added the s to the http just to see if it could be that simple and it worked. 

Nothing has worked for me.

I dragged the pictures from another tab, directly from the gallery. Message that they were more than x100 pixels.

I used the Other Media, insert from URL, and the pop-up wouldn't accept the URL and close, it remains there. The URLs are working.

I renamed the http to https, still nothing.

2 hours ago, Spyros said:

Nothing has worked for me.

I dragged the pictures from another tab, directly from the gallery. Message that they were more than x100 pixels.

I used the Other Media, insert from URL, and the pop-up wouldn't accept the URL and close, it remains there. The URLs are working.

I renamed the http to https, still nothing.

What were the URLs of the images?

When I try to attach an image using drag and drop from my computer to my signature, the error message states that the dimensions of the image are too large, when they are clearly not.

image.thumb.png.ae5b079390731d05a53afeb04371136f.png

I tried using another appropriately sized image from my gallery instead and that worked, so maybe it's an issue with drag an drop images specifically?

On 6/25/2022 at 5:30 AM, Quixus said:

It isn't difficult at all to LE key the site.  The problem is that the key is self-signed.  Self signed keys are virtually worthless when needed to establish trust.

(I'm using LE now for email on the site)

The work item in the queue is to get SSL certs from the CA.  I'm waiting for the SSL certs.

13 hours ago, Codex Grey said:

When I try to attach an image using drag and drop from my computer to my signature, the error message states that the dimensions of the image are too large, when they are clearly not.

(edited for brevity)

I tried using another appropriately sized image from my gallery instead and that worked, so maybe it's an issue with drag an drop images specifically?

Can you message me the Image you wanted to attach?  Or if the image is in your gallery, share the URL?

I want to reproduce the bug.  Thanks.

Signatures with Images

Let me walk through the steps for putting images into the editor (for a signature, or for anything here).  We'll start with Signatures.

The TL;DR;

1. The editor is nearly a WYSIWYG editor (What You See Is What You Get).   Treat it more like a modern editor (Word, etc..) than a klunky "web editor"
  2. Rely on COPY, PASTE, CUT (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-X)  They are useful in the editor.
  3. Rely on that the Editor (at any time) is aware of ALL of the Images you've attached while editing ANY post/signature/etc..
  4. Prefer to use images you've Attached. 
  5. Prefer to use Images that are already stored in B&C. 
  6. Suppress the urge to use images hosted elsewhere. (Rationale below)
  7. Experiment. 
  8. Get stuck?  Ask questions here.

Step 1 - Enter Account Settings

From the upper right corner where your login name appears, drop-down box to the menu item "Account Settings", as shown.

image.png.ca033742731d243402394265509d50ff.png

Step 2 - Choose "Signature"

image.png.12e172b5adb1d808ff82acfba4454787.png

Step 3 - Begin Editing Process

The editor has the similar look and feel of the previous editor, but this editor treats content more or less WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).

Here's the editor.  I'll explain the regions of importance:

image.thumb.png.6738ef68f1e3090a3c733894d695f9dd.png

The Yellow Box is where your content goes.  Type in your signature, etc..

The Green Box is how to add media (images) that come from sources that have:

1. Already been attached (we'll get to that in a moment)
  2. Or come from sources by URL.

The Red Box is the tool to attach images.  There are two ways (three ways actually) to attach files:

1. While the cursor is in the YELLOW section, just PASTE whatever image is in your Clipboard.  That will attach it. 
  2. Or, you can literally drag from the local PC you are using to the YELLOW section.  
  3. Or, you can click the link "choose files" and a file-browser will open to locate a file on your local PC.

Back to the GREEN Box...

The options there were to add Other Media that were previously attached (see above).  OR, to add media from a URL.   

You have two options for the URL.

1. The URL can be to an image already stored on the B&C site.   You'll need the precise URL to that image.  If the image was in your Gallery, you can get the URL to the image from the image. 
  2. The URL can be from an external site.  (Not B&C).   If the URL is from an external site, the URL will need to be https://

The preferred solution for long-term is to use Images that are already ON the B&C site.  It would be preferred to not use externally linked images. The rationale is that the B&C is the site that this signature exists.  The images that are part of the site are part of the site (you uploaded them, you attached them, etc..).  If the image comes from an external site the B&C has no control over detecting if the URL goes stale/bad/missing.   It can create a problem in the long term.

However you choose, "Other Media" lets you select media that is from:

• ANY prior time you Attached an image to ANY post of any kind. 
  • OR, you can select a local URL from the B&C site (http://),
  • OR, r you can choose an external https:// URL to an image.

4 - Attach an Image

In this case, I am using the technique of simply PASTE.  I had the image in my PC clipboard and I put the cursor in the YELLOW box, and I Ctrl-V (PASTE).

The result:

image.png.68f942c25c5715bee21ab04348a9387f.png

What threw me off at first and may be confusing is that the editor treats the Image just as if you typed it.. Meaning that the CURSOR is (or should be) to the RIGHT of the image.  Look closely.  It'll be a cursor that is as tall as the image. A horizontal bar as tall as the image to the RIGHT of the image.  

If you don't see it, then click the pointer to the RIGHT of the image:

image.png.9349fd2820d2e550c61a9304685b3a60.png

The cursor will blink slowly in the YELLOW area right next to the image.   Check it's not in the GREEN area.

With the cursor in the YELLOW area, paste another image.

Here's the second image added by just PASTE from the clipboard:

image.png.f8988f002c87c5d48cf3cb49c50ed50d.png

The cursor should be in the YELLOW area, and if it isn't, click to the right of the image and put it there.

Step 4 - Changes

Ooops, you forgot an image.  You want to put an image between those two.

However you choose to bring the image into the editor:

• Paste
  • Drag into the Main Editor area
  • "Choose Files"
  • Other Media 

the key is:

That the CURSOR has to be where you want the image to go.

• Only files that are Attached can be put into the Editing Window.
  • There is no Editor Toolbar option to "add an image" other than the "Paste" feature. But  Ctrl-V (PC) does the same thing.

I'm going to add a third image but I will not mind where it is arranged in the Signature at first.  I'll move it where I want it after I ATTACH it.

I click on "Other Media", select "Insert existing attachment" and choose one of the images I previously attached.

image.png.654940d0bba115120d32236db017eada.png

And the result after selecting the left most (ORANGE) image, deposits it into the editing window.

image.png.0dc1181f08037e0ff5ae9e2952bd4150.png

As I indicated, I need to rearrange the images.

There are three images in the active body of the editor.

You can "Select one of them".   The Blue highlight due to the select operation (I clicked it once).

image.thumb.png.4db4247f228be97f613e48bd355f9f23.png

Here you can do a few different things.

• You can drag the image within the editor to a position between the other two images.
  • You can CUT the image (Ctrl-X on PC), move the cursor between the two images and then PASTE (Ctrl-V)

I prefer the former -- I prefer to DRAG it to position.  

If you choose to Ctrl-X (CUT) and Ctrl-V (PASTE) it requires you to be able to place the cursor between the images.  But the two images have no day-light between them, so it's hard with the pointer to select the sliver of real estate between them.  But don't use the pointer.  Use the keyboard.  Put the cursor to the right of the right most image, then press the LEFT ARROW key on the keyboard.  Witness the cursor shift between the images.  It blinks.  It's usually as tall as the image.  It's hard to miss.

Then, when the cursor is where you want it, you can re-PASTE the image you just CUT.

But option DRAG is easier.

Play with it a bit.

Now it's time to save your work!

Step 5 - Save the Work.

In the lower left corner of the editor (below the attachments) Press SAVE.

Now test -- I looked for a post and inspected the signature:

I'm not going to paste it.. .Just look below this post...

7 hours ago, sibomots said:

Can you message me the Image you wanted to attach?  Or if the image is in your gallery, share the URL?

I want to reproduce the bug.  Thanks.

It seems I can't use attachments in personal messages, either. Not as a bug, just not at all :turned:

Anyways here it is.

image.png.06fdbc98af9a662267cc0fbc5d4d5d05.png

This was posted using an existing attachment when I used drag and drop to add this to my about page in my profile. But when I try to do the exact same thing in my sig. the error happens.

Like I said, a solution to the problem, but not the bug, is to host the pictures in a gallery then use it in the sig. I've tested this and it works, but it would be nice to avoid filling up galleries with differently sized versions of the same pictures.

BTW, the old ability to auto generate different sizes, including thumbnails, of a single image in your gallery, is this gone for good or will it make a return?

Edited by Codex Grey