Attached images in signatures.

Machine God

6 hours ago, Spyros said:

I still get the message:

This image is larger than the maximum allowed dimensions of x 100.

Right click on the link to "This image."

Copy the URL.

Paste it into notepad.

Inspect it carefully.  Look how the end of the image path is mangled?

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/monthly_2022_06/gallery_93095_13980_2976.gif.fa531b696663cf57ff2c5aefe9e93b2f.gif

The end is:

gif.fa531b696663cf57ff2c5aefe9e93b2f.gif

The second problem is if I repair the URL, (fix the typo at the end), the image URL doesn't exist.  By inspection the URL should be this:

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/monthly_2022_06/gallery_93095_13980_2976.gif

But that URL does not exist.

Let's look another way -- in your gallery, the image that I think you're trying to find is this one:

gallery_93095_13980_2204.gif

I got that image because in your gallery there is an image with that file name.   

gallery_93095_13980_2204.gif

But the path to that file is

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_13980/

So, here's the fix:

Two browser windows, side by side or tabbed.. Doesn't matter; 

*In one of the windows navigate to your gallery. Find the image you want.  Right click it.  Copy the URL to the image (to the clipboard)

In the other browser -- the browser you're editing posts/messages/signature with...  When it comes time to add the image use "Other Media" and select "insert image from URL"  and then paste in the URL copied above*

7 hours ago, Codex Grey said:

It seems I can't use attachments in personal messages, either. Not as a bug, just not at all :turned:

Anyways here it is.

image.png.06fdbc98af9a662267cc0fbc5d4d5d05.png

This was posted using an existing attachment when I used drag and drop to add this to my about page in my profile. But when I try to do the exact same thing in my sig. the error happens.

Like I said, a solution to the problem, but not the bug, is to host the pictures in a gallery then use it in the sig. I've tested this and it works, but it would be nice to avoid filling up galleries with differently sized versions of the same pictures.

BTW, the old ability to auto generate different sizes, including thumbnails, of a single image in your gallery, is this gone for good or will it make a return?

It doesn't seem like the image is the reason for the error.   I agree that there is a problem.   I also noticed the error on  image sizes but I back-tracked and started clean slate and added images to the sig successfully.

If "auto generated" sized images was a feature of the IPS Version 3.x software, the fine people at IPS did not carry it forward into version 4.x  4.6.12.1 to be precise.

If I'm closer to a solution, or misunderstood ... let me know.

Thanks.

46 minutes ago, sibomots said:

I also noticed the error on  image sizes but I back-tracked and started clean slate and added images to the sig successfully.

Sorry, but could you clarify/elaborate on this? If you mean simply clearing the image from my attachment and then attach it again to the sig. then I have tried this and so far it hasn't worked. Or was your process different?

2 minutes ago, Codex Grey said:

Sorry, but could you clarify/elaborate on this? If you mean simply clearing the image from my attachment and then attach it again to the sig. then I have tried this and so far it hasn't worked. Or was your process different?

I meant, while editing my signature, Remove all signature text/images/etc..  Clean the slate.  Ie., move the cursor to the window and Delete Key until there is nothing left.

Then Save.

Then re-enter Signature editing mode. Then edit the signature adding from prior Attachments, or Images from URLs etc.. as documented.

Editing here on the site (Signatures, Forums, etc..) is an editor experience that is almost WYSIWYG and the "almost" means that the Editor will embed unbeknownst to you HTML that will tweak the format.  Not always, but sometimes.   By clearing all content from the Signature, the goal is to expunge from the Signature any formatting junk that will affect the format of the next iteration of Signature you attempt to edit.

For now the only thing that worked for me was "other media" and "insert existing attachment".

No matter how much I tried to follow earlier instructions, I achieved nothing.

Also, anyone knows how to deal with the big gap between the text lines?

If you hit the ENTER key, you'll get additional space between the lines, like this...

...this gives some separation without needing to use multiple lines/hard returns.

Alternately, if you hold the SHIFT key down while hitting the ENTER key, you won't get the additional spacing...
...like so.

Thank you Brother Tyler! 
It slowly starts to make sense, and getting used to the new.
But I don't see the need for this permanent gap. I guess it is to make the test easier to read?

2 hours ago, Spyros said:

But I don't see the need for this permanent gap. I guess it is to make the test easier to read?

To an earlier comment I made that the built-in editor is almost WYSIWYG. Here is some of the _almost_ part:

When the user puts content into the editor and presses return after the line, the HTML that is generated and inserted into the database is a <P> tag (paragraph break), which is going to force a non-trivial amount of space between the preceding body of content.

When @Brother Tyler indicated using Shift-Enter instead of Enter this causes the resulting HTML inserted into the database to use a <BR> tag (line break).  Line break (BR) are less than Paragraph Break (P).

• Shift-Enter generates a <BR> tag.  (tiny vertical gap, if any it's very small.  It's the smallest vertical gap allowed if the line is broken intentionally)
  • Enter generates a <P> tag. (a modest vertical gap of some unit that apparent)

If there is any whitespace at all in the editing buffer (signature, post, topic, message, whatever) the Editor will insert encoding <P> .. </P> tags around it -- even if there's only white space inside.  For this reason I recommend that at the end of the content (putting the cursor to the right of the rightmost non-whitespace thing, press Delete to cinch up the tail end of the editing buffer so no spurious <P> ..  </P> tags are generated at the end of the content.

Same applies in the middle of any editing buffer.  If you're worried about spurious line breaks within the buffer, then delete all whitespace between items and then either press Alt-Enter for the BR effect, or Enter for the P effect.

21 hours ago, sibomots said:

It isn't difficult at all to LE key the site.  The problem is that the key is self-signed.  Self signed keys are virtually worthless when needed to establish trust.

(I'm using LE now for email on the site)

The work item in the queue is to get SSL certs from the CA.  I'm waiting for the SSL certs.

Let's encrypt is certified by the Internet Security Research Group and as such can issue proper certificates, but if you got SSL keys coming the point is moot. It might be interesting at a later point or for other projects though.

Edited by Quixus

33 minutes ago, Quixus said:

Let's encrypt is certified by the Internet Security Research Group and as such can issue proper certificates, but if you got SSL keys coming the point is moot. It might be interesting at a later point or for other projects though.

ISRG, for https services, this is OK.  It's only a DV cert.  It's still self-signed.  I tried using our LE cert to enjoin a gmail account to access internal admin email aliases serviced by this domain and no joy because of our weak-sauce cert.

What we need really is a Cert for email.  ISRG doesn't issue those (or one that is strong enough --- for encrypted email)

Let’s Encrypt certificates are standard Domain Validation certificates, 
so you can use them for any server that uses a domain name, like web servers, 
mail servers, FTP servers, and many more.

Email encryption and code signing require a different type of certificate 
that Let’s Encrypt does not issue.

We need the stronger Cert because we're having some issues with outgoing email.

I have raised the flag and the Founder is aware.   Let me clarify -- the Founder has the keys to the certain third party control panels that would provide it.  A mere Sacristan can only do so much despite having access to this system. :smile: 

• 4 weeks later...

Had an issue today, tried to figure it out- it seems that the editor only allowed me to insert one image from a url at a time into the sig; when I tried to put all four of the images I wanted at once it seemed to think that they were one big image that violated the guidelines. I got it to work, but had to insert one image at a time, save, and then do the next. 

Edited by Lord_Ikka