Are any of you limiting dreads?

SmorcInc

I think it's probably courtesy to an opponent to let them know if you're taking any kind of skew list - all dreads, tanks, etc, however they should also be courteous and play your list at least once. 

In 40k if I make a weird list, I'll generally also make a normal one and offer my opponent the choice - no one's turned down the weird one yet. 

I don't have enough games of heresy under my belt yet, but in 6/7th, you built your lists to kill 3+or 2+ save stuff, and here is no different. From the AoD box set, you can assume most people will be rocking a Contemptor at 1000pts, and a spartan also at 2000-2500, probably with 10 catas, so build your list accordingly. 

On 8/2/2022 at 4:59 AM, SkimaskMohawk said:

Looks like Anuj is limiting them at his event. Along with axing expanded units :facepalm:

You forgot to mention the bonus victory points for using the Kratos and Beakies.... my eye-roll at that was almost stroke inducing.

1 hour ago, TheTrans said:

You forgot to mention the bonus victory points for using the Kratos and Beakies.... my eye-roll at that was almost stroke inducing.

This is cringe, where are these event rules so I can see them ?

1 hour ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

Part of LVO's packet for January is for every talon you bring you must have an infantry squad.

It's a pretty non-existent restriction, and pretty much just stops pure fury of the ancients lists. You can still do 12 contemptors outside that in a 2500 list.

@TheTrans I didn't even get that far before I started grilling him about blocking expanded units honestly. It's frankly a disgusting thing to do for an event, as vets of 1st or undecided people who want to try with their firstborn standins just....lose for not buying the new models. There's also a ban on artillery, but not...barrage; a Scorpius or laser vindi is good, but quad launcher or laser rapiers are bad...

Between axing expanded, limiting artillery more than dreads, and giving points to people who buy the new stuff, it's really just a "new box only" event in practice. 

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

5 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

Part of LVO's packet for January is for every talon you bring you must have an infantry squad.

Our league voted on the ZM LVO rules and we will be limiting players to 3 T7 models per army. The games will be 1200 points, so you can still run FOTA, but it won't be your entire army

10 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

It's a pretty non-existent restriction, and pretty much just stops pure fury of the ancients lists. You can still do 12 contemptors outside that in a 2500 list.

@TheTrans I didn't even get that far before I started grilling him about blocking expanded units honestly. It's frankly a disgusting thing to do for an event, as vets of 1st or undecided people who want to try with their firstborn standins just....lose for not buying the new models. There's also a ban on artillery, but not...barrage; a Scorpius or laser vindi is good, but quad launcher or laser rapiers are bad...

Between axing expanded, limiting artillery more than dreads, and giving points to people who buy the new stuff, it's really just a "new box only" event in practice. 

Does it not strike you as him just jerking himself off a little and just :cuss:ting over everything (as you said) that isn't in the new box, or a new release. 

I imagine thats a pretty early event over in the UK and to sort of attempt to 'set the scene' by not using the Legacies PDF is criminal.

We have 2 40 odd player events coming up down in Victoria which are running the Liber Obscurus and the Liber Obscurus Legacies Balance so people can use their old :cuss: (looks at the 850 point shadowsword).

I'd not be keen to be playing in the UK if Anuj's vision is what starts proliferating throughout the community (well I suppose we already are copping that in the fact that 2.0 exists.. show me where the Malcador touched you again Anuj). 

2 hours ago, TheTrans said:

Does it not strike you as him just jerking himself off a little and just :cuss:ting over everything (as you said) that isn't in the new box, or a new release. 

I imagine thats a pretty early event over in the UK and to sort of attempt to 'set the scene' by not using the Legacies PDF is criminal.

We have 2 40 odd player events coming up down in Victoria which are running the Liber Obscurus and the Liber Obscurus Legacies Balance so people can use their old :cuss: (looks at the 850 point shadowsword).

I'd not be keen to be playing in the UK if Anuj's vision is what starts proliferating throughout the community (well I suppose we already are copping that in the fact that 2.0 exists.. show me where the Malcador touched you again Anuj). 

A post thick with irony. You don't approve of someone altering the rules for their tournament, while allowing unofficial homebrew in yours?

If there's enough community interest in these formats they will stick, if there isn't, others will rise to the top. I don't think every event that is run needs to be your perfect ideal of what 30k should be.

As an example, my local store is running the GMG Repentance campaign at the moment that forces 2 tactical squads and a praetor at all point levels. Has that alienated some people who don't have/want Tacticals in their collection? Yeah. Should all the events they run have these restrictions? Probably not. But it's pulled in a crap load of people who bought AoD as a gateway to the game. The community will evolve and experiment over time. If people don't enjoy losing games because they didn't bring Mk6 or a Kratos they'll soon find a group to do something different.

36 minutes ago, Brother_Angelus said:

A post thick with irony. You don't approve of someone altering the rules for their tournament, while allowing unofficial homebrew in yours?

If there's enough community interest in these formats they will stick, if there isn't, others will rise to the top. I don't think every event that is run needs to be your perfect ideal of what 30k should be.

As an example, my local store is running the GMG Repentance campaign at the moment that forces 2 tactical squads and a praetor at all point levels. Has that alienated some people who don't have/want Tacticals in their collection? Yeah. Should all the events they run have these restrictions? Probably not. But it's pulled in a crap load of people who bought AoD as a gateway to the game. The community will evolve and experiment over time. If people don't enjoy losing games because they didn't bring Mk6 or a Kratos they'll soon find a group to do something different.

Hmm, you could fish for irony.

One ruleset is hugely limiting the models that people can use, disallowing official rules and, to me, unfairly benefititting people who just bought in..(I wonder if Anuj was the ideas man behind the Kratos..)

The other is open slather allowing stuff that people will have built so gamers can bring all their armies.

But sure if you want to directly equate these two, feel free. 

Honestly I don't think enforcing a praetor and two tac squads is particulalry rough. Thats what, 320pts, easy to move around it if needs be.

I don't like something stopping people using a lot of their armies, espcially centre piece models (Think your Caestus etc) or ones that people heavily used or relied upon (Jetpack Reavers, Fulmentarus, Box Dreads, Attack Bikes etc etc etc), escpically given the rules are official.

I don't care that he isn't using community rules, each to their own on that front, it is very scene/community depenedant, putting the kibosh on official rules, espcially when just gw-simping, is a bit :cuss:ty. 

On 8/8/2022 at 10:22 AM, Brofist said:

Our league voted on the ZM LVO rules and we will be limiting players to 3 T7 models per army. The games will be 1200 points, so you can still run FOTA, but it won't be your entire army

Lmao people will just fill it out with Boxnaughts.

Edited by oldhat

I'm very glad my local group doesn't limit things like this, unless its agreed to ahead of time.  Most of the other groups around here banned LoW and Primarchs etc by default for the last 5 years or so, then again they only ever played 1500pts, while we pretty much play 3000+, so that might make sense. 

I have never been a fan of imposing other folks random house rules on others either, like expecting random pickup games to adhere to LVO and ITC rules.

Honestly our league has also been very much against house rules, as we've never even allowed centurion or mournival. It was a community vote and 20 people voted in favor and 3 people abstained. So it was pretty overwhelming feedback from within the community. Every group is different of course.

9 hours ago, Canadian_F_H said:

I'm very glad my local group doesn't limit things like this, unless its agreed to ahead of time.  Most of the other groups around here banned LoW and Primarchs etc by default for the last 5 years or so, then again they only ever played 1500pts, while we pretty much play 3000+, so that might make sense. 

I have never been a fan of imposing other folks random house rules on others either, like expecting random pickup games to adhere to LVO and ITC rules.

Well to be fair, many clubs use ITC rules as standard because of organized play prior to GW moving 40k to that style of play. In my experience the established player is usually accommodating for PUGs.

Cant lie, most those restrictions make me cringe though id arue the worst ones are the forced Praetor and tactical squads, its not really about the points but the time and money, im long past making toys i dont want just so some TO can have an ego trip. *cough* Anuj *cough*  

13 hours ago, Brofist said:

Honestly our league has also been very much against house rules, as we've never even allowed centurion or mournival. It was a community vote and 20 people voted in favor and 3 people abstained. So it was pretty overwhelming feedback from within the community. Every group is different of course.

While we never used Mournival I actually like some of it. Esp like the storm speeder but I like scouts so I'm biased.

Houserules in general can be fine, but they should be expanding and repairing options rather than punishing players or trying to force some weird purity standard, but then our group has been playing with home brew expansions for yeeears now, since BoLS used to make quality hobby content! 

25 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Houserules in general can be fine, but they should be expanding and repairing options rather than punishing players or trying to force some weird purity standard, but then our group has been playing with home brew expansions for yeeears now, since BoLS used to make quality hobby content! 

Lol I remember when bols was actually a good site to go to. Back before they turned terrible, were replaced by goonhammer, and before that site started mimicking bols' decline lol. Guess it's just the natural cycle.

12 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Cant lie, most those restrictions make me cringe though id arue the worst ones are the forced Praetor and tactical squads, its not really about the points but the time and money, im long past making toys i dont want just so some TO can have an ego trip. *cough* Anuj *cough*  

It's one intro campaign specifically geared to get AoD buyers into the game. No one is trying to make it a default tournament format.

1 hour ago, Brother_Angelus said:

It's one intro campaign specifically geared to get AoD buyers into the game. No one is trying to make it a default tournament format.

Who is claiming that? Though honestly its even worse if its trying to bend new players into some mould, one of the glorious things about list construction in 40k is the wide selection of useful troops choices further expanded by all the Rites of war and other possible oddities. Treat players like adults and let them try things, its more fun. 

25 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Who is claiming that? Though honestly its even worse if its trying to bend new players into some mould, one of the glorious things about list construction in 40k is the wide selection of useful troops choices further expanded by all the Rites of war and other possible oddities. Treat players like adults and let them try things, its more fun. 

You're missing the point. The campaign was designed to introduce new players, who bought AoD, to the game in a relatively balanced way, using a few fixed choices for familiarity. All it's done is made the first few hundred points of each army fairly generic and kept power levels somewhat in check.

I'd certainly rather this than extra VP for using X or Y thing specifically. Or adding non-official content because a couple of people have obscure legacy units they can't stand to leave at home.

Edited by Brother_Angelus

1 hour ago, Brother_Angelus said:

You're missing the point. The campaign was designed to introduce new players, who bought AoD, to the game in a relatively balanced way, using a few fixed choices for familiarity. All it's done is made the first few hundred points of each army fairly generic and kept power levels somewhat in check.

I'd certainly rather this than extra VP for using X or Y thing specifically. Or adding non-official content because a couple of people have obscure legacy units they can't stand to leave at home.

Seems to be basically a rehash of The Graying Legion's Calth Box Bash... event/tourney/organized play at a convention.