Are any of you limiting dreads?

SmorcInc

On 8/8/2022 at 1:22 PM, Brofist said:

Our league voted on the ZM LVO rules and we will be limiting players to 3 T7 models per army. The games will be 1200 points, so you can still run FOTA, but it won't be your entire army

I mean, in ZM, I can see the need; likewise other weirdo small game formats like Centurion.

11 hours ago, Brother_Angelus said:

You're missing the point. The campaign was designed to introduce new players, who bought AoD, to the game in a relatively balanced way, using a few fixed choices for familiarity. All it's done is made the first few hundred points of each army fairly generic and kept power levels somewhat in check.

I'd certainly rather this than extra VP for using X or Y thing specifically. Or adding non-official content because a couple of people have obscure legacy units they can't stand to leave at home.

Not really, why are you assuming that new players cant build outside the box? Or handle the devilish complexity of breachers or assault squads? Or am i missing some terrible imbalance those squads introduce? ;) 

Directly twisting VP around army building is also crap but at least its not potentially wasting time and money. There is also official content for all the legacy units, i mean, its deliberately bad but it does exist.

Which is something ive been noticing, despite FW half heartedly supporting the Legacy document its being pretty universally banned or left conditional, (The Goonhammer narrative event joining that list today, limiting dreadnoughts too) i suspect mostly because of the sorry state of the document itself, which is a damn shame. Especially when most of these events are trying to bill themselves as narrative.

11 hours ago, Brother_Angelus said:

You're missing the point. The campaign was designed to introduce new players, who bought AoD, to the game in a relatively balanced way, using a few fixed choices for familiarity. All it's done is made the first few hundred points of each army fairly generic and kept power levels somewhat in check.

I'd certainly rather this than extra VP for using X or Y thing specifically. Or adding non-official content because a couple of people have obscure legacy units they can't stand to leave at home.

Not really, why are you assuming that new players cant build outside the box? Or handle the devilish complexity of breachers or assault squads? Or am i missing some terrible imbalance those squads introduce? ;) 

Directly twisting VP around army building is also crap but at least its not potentially wasting time and money. There is also official content for all the legacy units, i mean, its deliberately bad but it does exist.

Which is something ive been noticing, despite FW half heartedly supporting the Legacy document its being pretty universally banned or left conditional, (The Goonhammer narrative event joining that list today, limiting dreadnoughts too) i suspect mostly because of the sorry state of the document itself, which is a damn shame. Especially when most of these events are trying to bill themselves as narrative.

21 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Lol I remember when bols was actually a good site to go to. Back before they turned terrible, were replaced by goonhammer, and before that site started mimicking bols' decline lol. Guess it's just the natural cycle.

haha god you're right on, which also makes me feel so old

I like the notion of simply needing troop taxes to take the dread talons instead of limiting them. 1-2 line infantry units for each talon. It's simple, allows for variety and keeps within the spirit of the game.

The more I've been looking at it, the more appealing a list looks, Istvaan III & V would see a swelling of internment into sarcophagi, other battles could do the same thing, reforged dreads could be absolved into legions etc.

Narrative events aren't tournament events. Let common sense and player autonomy drive the day.