Mengel's Heresy Ultramarines

Hi everyone,

It's been quite awhile since I've posted on here. I used to post under the name Nurgling6688 and had some Astral Claws back in the day, but figured I would get a fresh start. It's been quite some time since I've properly worked on a Marine project, but the new edition of the Horus Heresy has drawn me back into their power armored embrace.

The Ultramarines were my first army ever when I started 40k back in 3rd edition more than 20 years ago, so I decided it was time to revisit them.

ultras_final.thumb.jpg.4ac66a0c0cb66ee82aafbaf8fd5d2e9e.jpg

ultras_final2.thumb.jpg.bfcd91c815e4e4cb093c3989f7d9b6c7.jpg

I want to do a rather clean look for them as opposed to the grittier look more common in 30k.

sarge.thumb.jpeg.2ec52e1a3e7d6f19dd52b60acb1bf803.jpeg

sarge2.thumb.jpeg.264b50d6a3e205e053075d9b18bbe87d.jpeg

banner.thumb.jpeg.2c1bf10fa5468bec7a4df36e42fe5569.jpeg

I'm finishing up the last 2 members of the first squad currently. 

I've also converted up one of the Praetors to be a bit more Ultramarine in appearance. I've since switched out the blade on the ax too. The head and halo come from a Primaris Captain model.

praetor.thumb.jpeg.2662fecc4bfb8169de6263d088d34d06.jpeg

Since the Ultramarines need a Master of Signals for their Rite of War I converted one of those up too using one of the beakies, some bits from the Spartan tank commander, MKIV shoulder pads, and other various bits.

signals.thumb.jpeg.e9e726d277f3f5306008eef9c2b5ba78.jpeg

signals2.thumb.jpeg.76613a590e46082e615062f442f6c78e.jpeg

signals4.thumb.jpeg.e683eb0cd7f0b24afa107947c8856005.jpeg

And what legion would be complete without its Primarch?

guilliman1.thumb.jpg.bef69477b1899b171a3bdcdd03a4fd37.jpg

guilliman4.thumb.jpg.1c34749b86045dd358b572d7869cfc80.jpg

All I did was swap his head for the 40k version, give him a new halo, and give him a base that will fit in with the rest of my army more. I also put him on a 50mm to give him a bit more bulk and presence.

Once I finish up the tactical squad I'll probably do one of the smaller characters next. I also have 5 Cataphracti primed up. My goal is to work towards a 1,000 point force first, though I might get distracted by Guilliman before I finish that.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Mengel Miniatures

2 hours ago, Urauloth said:

Thrilled to see this project, and welcome back to the B&C!
I love that Master of Signals. Good use of components, and a very characterful model. Colours on the tacticals look great.
Are you theming these around any particular period or battle in the Heresy or keeping them generalised?

Thanks! I was thinking they'd either be Shadow Crusade or on the path to Terra since they have the MkVI armor. I'm trying to keep as much as I can in MkVI for them. The Ultramarines kind of just fought all of the rearguard left by the traitors, right? Like, whoever was in their path?

That MoS is excellent, love the sword strapped onto his back, and a clever use of that Space Marine iPad there. I can't help but be jealous of that clean, crisp white on the Sgt shoulder pad, white is my nemesis, especcially on small, relatively flat areas. Always ends up looking chalky, like I've spread some royal icing on the model instead of paint.

Great work, looking forward to seeing more!

Finished up my first full unit of Ultramarines for my army!

Also finished up a bit more 40k scenery so I could take this picture. I need to get a some more painted still. Next up is either a character or my test Terminator model. Courage and Honor!

ultramarines3.thumb.jpg.5c65e947a20e8ada5a4bc2fc9aee785a.jpg

13 hours ago, Capitano said:

Always cool seeing a fresh army with no to little battle damage

How did you do the basing material...do you have a How to on that?

Thanks!

The basing material is a mix of 2 sands, a really fine sand from GF9 hobbies, and some courser sand that I just picked up from a hardware store. Before I glue the sand on I glue on a few of the larger rocks, which I got a large bag of from a hobby train store. I then coat the entire base with PVA glue and sprinkle on a few patches of the courser sand and then cover the rest with the finer sand. I then add a bit more glue in a few patches and build up some more of the courser sand to give it some height variation.

To paint it I base coat all of it with Mechanicus Standard Grey, then wash on small patches of Rhinox Hide and Karak Stone for some different colored dust, then drybrush it all with Adminastratum Grey and then drybrush on a few patches of Karak Stone. The larger rocks get base coated with Administratum Grey, get a light wash of Nuln Oil, and then drybrushed with Grey Seer.