Should the inquisition get their own codex?

HQs would be generic inquisitor and interrogator 

elites would represent others that directly form an inquisitor’s retinue (psykers,  crusaders, etc)

troops

inquisitorial scions(get their own special load out options separate from normal scions)

inquisitorial arbiters?

fast attack

new fancy speeder

heavy support 

‘Devastator’ ogryns 

just a few initial ideas.

I'm a fan of the inquisition getting some love, any love:laugh:

Gw seem to hate the inq:tongue:

Even their only release for quite some time, inq lord draxus is questionable:sad:

They could combine the ordo tempestus with what little inquisition rules there are, its run partially by the inquisition anyway:yes:

How I always envision the Inquistion is this way:

HQ- Inquistor Lord/ Inquisitor

Elite- Jokero*, Interrogators, Crusaders, Death Cult Assassins, Offico Assassins, Ordos Militant unit (0-1)**,  Daemonhosts*, Priests, Astropaths, 

Troops- Acolytes, Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, voidsman

Fast- 

Heavy- Gun Servitors

* Taking this option automatically Radical and co not take Ordos Militant units

** Ordos Militant:

Malleus- Grey Knight Terminator squad (5-10 models)

Xenos- Deathwatch Kill Team (5-10 models) 

Hereticus- Battle Sister Squad (5-20models)

Acolytes same as they are now but cheaper…possibly limit how many “special weapons” they can have and/ or allow psybolt ammo for bolt pistol/ bolter/ stormbolter 

The painful thing for me is how easy it would have been to significantly improve the Inquisition when they were reprinted in Octarius.

Just making Acolytes troops and bumping their unit size 10 would improve the list by orders of magnitude. Adding even a single transport to the list would bring it up another notch.

Now obviously, we want them to go further than that. But how colossally short sighted was it to not do at least this when the rules were reprinted?

To address what they could do to really improve them, beyond the quick and easy cookie cutter solutions above, we have to talk a bit about the Nephilim Matched Play CP rules for a second, because until GW went messing with CP's, it was a lot easier to fix Inquisition than it is now.  For example, Chambers militant could be handled SOOO easily in a system where taking two detachments isn't a CP death sentence. 

"Chamber Militant: An Inquisition Army may include a single detachment of it's Chamber Militant without affecting the detachment abilities of either detachment. Additionally, the Inquisition detachment in such an army may include any transport that could be used by its Chamber Militant."

This solves the transport problem AND revives Chambers Militant... But again, it only really works if you get all your CP upfront.

3 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

"Chamber Militant: An Inquisition Army may include a single detachment of it's Chamber Militant without affecting the detachment abilities of either detachment. Additionally, the Inquisition detachment in such an army may include any transport that could be used by its Chamber Militant."

This solves the transport problem AND revives Chambers Militant... But again, it only really works if you get all your CP upfront.

You could still do that, but add in the preface that Chamber Militant detachments have a 0CP cost as long as the army's Warlord is an Inquisitor/Lord Inquisitor of the Ordos that the Chamber Militant belongs to. 

So with the detachment it becomes an army within the army. A lot of the stories it is a squad hence why if the inquisitor is not consider radical they can select 1 unit, depending on the their Ordo, that counts as an elite choice. 

as for vehicles I always feel like it should be based on what units that are chosen:

non power armored models: chimera, taurox (both variants), Valkyrie 

Marine units: Razorback,  Land Raider, Corvus Blackstar

All units: Rhino 

Along with the authority of the inquisitor rule it will allow the inquisitor and Acolytes to ride in whatever is chosen.

for non big 3 ordos, I guess a squad of space marine infantry can be chosen.

Radical inquisitors get Astra Militarium infantry squads maybe a leman Russ too. 

Edited by war009

On 7/14/2022 at 9:22 PM, war009 said:

Elite- Jokero*, Interrogators, Crusaders, Death Cult Assassins, Offico Assassins, Ordos Militant unit (0-1)**,  Daemonhosts*, Priests, Astropaths, 

Fast- 

Heavy- Gun Servitors

** Ordos Militant:

I'd also add the option for a techpriest into the elites slot (someone needs to keep the transports going). Previously the option for fast attack was the valkyrie, which fits quite well imo

I was going to add that in an edit and I guess I didn't. But yes a techpriest would be and elite option for all Ordos.  

with Valkyries moving to flyer slot (along with other Flyers) I think GW would keep it as a flyer,  Maybe add the Ordos Militant fast attack option: Malleus- Grey Knights Interceptors, Xenos- Deathwatch bike squad, Hereticus- Adepta Sororitas Seraphim, Other- Assault squad, Radical- Guard Fast attack

7 minutes ago, war009 said:

I was going to add that in an edit and I guess I didn't. But yes a techpriest would be and elite option for all Ordos.  

with Valkyries moving to flyer slot (along with other Flyers) I think GW would keep it as a flyer,  Maybe add the Ordos Militant fast attack option: Malleus- Grey Knights Interceptors, Xenos- Deathwatch bike squad, Hereticus- Adepta Sororitas Seraphim, Other- Assault squad, Radical- Guard Fast attack

I completely forgot about the flyer slot (:sweat:, it's been a while since I played). Ordo militant fast attack is not a bad idea. Any particular reason for restricting gaurd fast attack to radicals? I would have thought it should be easy for any inquisitor to get their hands on sentinels or hellhounds

Honestly no reason besides giving the options to Radicals to give them some different models than other Puritan factions, but the it could be changed to this:

Requisitioned to the Inquisition (Key word)- When creating list the Inquisitor can requisition forces as follows:

Puritan Ordo Malleus- Grey Knight Terminators (Elite), Grey Knight Interceptor Squad (Fast attack), Stormraven (Flyer)

Puritan Ordo Xenos- Death Watch Veterans (Elite), Deathwatch Bikers (Fast attack),  Corvus Blackstar (Flyer) Rhino and Razorback (Dedicated Transport)

Puritan Ordo Hereticus- Adepta Sororitas Celestian Squad (elites), Adepta Soroitas Seraphim (Fast Attack) Rhino and Immolator (Dedicated transport)

All other Ordos (including big 3 Ordos Radical factions:

Space Marine Infantry squad (First born tactical or Intercessors- Elite) and Space marine bike squad (first Born or Primaris- Fast attack),  Stormhawk, storm talon or stromraven (Flyer) Rhino Razorback, or Impulsor (Dedicated transports)

or

Astra Militarum Infantry/ Special/ Heavy weapon squads (1-3 squads for 1 Elite slot, if 3 squads taken Platoon command does not take up spot), Sentinel (armored or non Armored 1-3 fast attack), Hellhound (fast attack), Leman Russ (1 Heavy support), Valkyrie (Flyer) Taroux and chimeras (Dedicated tansports)

5 minutes ago, war009 said:

Honestly no reason besides giving the options to Radicals to give them some different models than other Puritan factions, but the it could be changed to this:

Requisitioned to the Inquisition (Key word)- When creating list the Inquisitor can requisition forces as follows:

Puritan Ordo Malleus- Grey Knight Terminators (Elite), Grey Knight Interceptor Squad (Fast attack), Stormraven (Flyer)

Puritan Ordo Xenos- Death Watch Veterans (Elite), Deathwatch Bikers (Fast attack),  Corvus Blackstar (Flyer) Rhino and Razorback (Dedicated Transport)

Puritan Ordo Hereticus- Adepta Sororitas Celestian Squad (elites), Adepta Soroitas Seraphim (Fast Attack) Rhino and Immolator (Dedicated transport)

All other Ordos (including big 3 Ordos Radical factions:

Space Marine Infantry squad (First born tactical or Intercessors- Elite) and Space marine bike squad (first Born or Primaris- Fast attack),  Stormhawk, storm talon or stromraven (Flyer) Rhino Razorback, or Impulsor (Dedicated transports)

or

Astra Militarum Infantry/ Special/ Heavy weapon squads (1-3 squads for 1 Elite slot, if 3 squads taken Platoon command does not take up spot), Sentinel (armored or non Armored 1-3 fast attack), Hellhound (fast attack), Leman Russ (1 Heavy support), Valkyrie (Flyer) Taroux and chimeras (Dedicated tansports)

That would certainly help to flesh out the inquisition and provide a solid core, not sure we'd get standard marines though (at least not mixed with guard). 

I'd love it radicals had the option for xenos mercenaries like kroot, or corsairs. 

On 7/14/2022 at 9:22 PM, war009 said:

Fast- 

Heavy- Gun Servitors

** Ordos Militant:

So basically you want the old Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters books back. That would be nice but I think GW moved away from that idea and limited us to using just Inquisitors and Acolytes.

6 hours ago, casb1965 said:

So basically you want the old Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters books back. That would be nice but I think GW moved away from that idea and limited us to using just Inquisitors and Acolytes.

Sorta....I think it needs restrictions.  Yeah I agree it would be nice to have that flexibility but I am not hopeful it will happen. But hey squats (League of Votaan) are a thing, we got plastic Sisters and a thunderhawk sorta, so who really knows what they will do or if they do anything. 

59 minutes ago, war009 said:

Sorta....I think it needs restrictions.  Yeah I agree it would be nice to have that flexibility but I am not hopeful it will happen. But hey squats (League of Votaan) are a thing, we got plastic Sisters and a thunderhawk sorta, so who really knows what they will do or if they do anything. 

If they restricted the Grey Knights, Space Marine and SoB to one or two units and gave us Stormtroopers as troops the old DH/WH codices would work well 

One thing I would say that should not be allowed is Chapter/ Brotherhood/ Order Tactics on the Marines, Grey Knights, or Adepta Sororitas. Or have the key word Chapter/ Brotherhood/ Order changed to ORDO (Xenos, Hereticus, or Malleus)

12 hours ago, war009 said:

One thing I would say that should not be allowed is Chapter/ Brotherhood/ Order Tactics on the Marines, Grey Knights, or Adepta Sororitas. Or have the key word Chapter/ Brotherhood/ Order changed to ORDO (Xenos, Hereticus, or Malleus)

Would definitely help with balance in that case. Changing the subfaction to Ordo and giving those benefits would be fluffy and (hopefully) balanced. Last thing we would want is people taking inquisition to break the game and then GW pulling support. 

59 minutes ago, Schlitzaf said:

Acolytes should gotten back to 2-3 wounds imho

Depends on how they implement them. If they're just going to be units for troops then they probably won't get that (and there would be little point) but in that case it would probably just be better to take guard vets or infantry. 

Acolytes in the elite slot as small groups with a few wounds would work well to represent the inquisitor's closest/most elite agents.

Honestly, I kinda like the current implementation via Agents of the Imperium. What they should add is the option to add another Inquisition without using a force org slot when you bring an Inquisitor as an agent.

And for actual Inquisiton detachments, make the Acolytes troops. At a stretch, add a rider for a DW/GK Strike Squad/SoB Battlesister squad in an Agents of the Imperium slot for the respective Ordos. I think the last Agents of the Imperium codex at the end of 7

But I don't think we're going to see the kind of mixing again in the current framework tbh, outside the Agents-mechanic.