Should the inquisition get their own codex?

For a long time I thought this (a separate Inquisition codex) would be a waste of time and resources.  There are other factions that could use this a lot more imho.  Lately though, I’ve been coming around to the idea, as long as it covers the Ordos only.  I feel it would be squeezed too thin if part of an ‘Agents of the Imperium’ catch-all with Custodes, Sisters of Silence, Assassins, etc, all crammed in.

After finally seeing the new First Founding coffee table book, I wouldn’t mind something similar on the history of the Ordos as well.

• 1 month later...

100% they need a codex. I think it can include other factions like navy and arbites. Games of 40k are small really, 30-100 minis per side usually. 

Sure it may represent a smaller part of a big battle but either way the inquisition would possibly have a presence.

I think the options for old school 40k conversions and gaming should be encouraged and that type of codex would give gamers an opportunity.

Just based on the new stuff for the lion arks book, the patrol box, and the arbites rules, I would say that an imperial agents supplement is coming, though it might be designed as a support codex to ally into any imperial army for big point games and only supported as stand alone for boarding action games.

I wouldn’t be surprised if demons got similar treatment to ally into any Chaos faction, as well as their own stand alone armies.

Every time a new IA PDF drops, it's a wasted opportunity. The fixes are SO. DAMN. EASY. but Gw just can't seem to figure it out.

Of course, with new 40k on the horizon, there isn't a lot of incentive to correct errors from the current edition. As for Inquisition in 10th, I think it's great that you can add multiple Agent units... But I don't know how well 10th will support Agents in terms of options. They certainly aren't getting their own two pager to swap in, so all they have is what can fit on their datacard... And I'm not sure that's interesting enough even if I can bring 6 units to an onslaught game.

I would say it might actually be easier to bring out an Inquisition supplement, when each detachment specifies directly what units can be taken in it. Would make it possible to just name units from different books if they wanted to.

Then again, with the different releases we've seen for agents, especially with the boarding patrol coming out, it's probably not unlikely that an agents-detachment would combine those kind of units, instead of drawing from different Codexes.

• 2 weeks later...

A few things have come to light: we now know there will be an Agents dex in 10th... Which means there WILL be a collection of Agents two-page detachments We also now know about the Inquisition vs. Cultist KT expansion- also that it will be released before 10th, and it's reasonable to expect anything in that expansion to be ported into 40k. If the expansion comes early enough, we might get 9th rules as PDF, but it's almost guaranteed that we're getting 10th data cards for them.

Now, putting all this together, the big question is will Agents get an Index?

And if yes, this is all FREE!!!

Like, yeah guys, we could all be playing Inquisition armies on release day, with a better dex than we've had since the Hunter Books... And a bigger range to boot.

I am tempering expectations... But this is a really big deal.

=][= The Emperor Protects =][=

Sorta glad that it's not in order- 3 Marine dexes in the first 5 would have felt like a kick in the teeth to non-marine players.

If they space out the Marine and CSM books, we can do one Marine Book and one CSM book / week.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so out of the loop these days, but just out of curiosity, is an "index" basically a supplement or a "mini codex" that cannot be used on its own but can be used as allies for a main faction?

Seems to me that the release of Kill Team: Ashes of Faith bodes well for the Agents Index and also a bit of a return to the old school ways where Inquisitorial Storm Troopers are a thing. Also, hopefully the fact that it sold out in seconds will send the message to GW that inquisition is popular and fun and they should support it. 

6 hours ago, Nicodemus Doloroso said:

I'm so out of the loop these days, but just out of curiosity, is an "index" basically a supplement or a "mini codex" that cannot be used on its own but can be used as allies for a main faction?

An index is the rules for your faction until GW gets around to making a codex for them. 10th edition is going to be sufficiently different from 9th that the old codicies will not work anymore. The index provides all the rules you'll need until the codex gets made (whenever that is.)

The point is still worth discussing though- KT: Ashes of Faith does make it likely that we'll see 10th content for Imperial Agents. When the indexes drop, Agents will quite likely get one. There are enough units in the Agent category now that I'd say a dex is a strong possibility too, but it isn't a guarantee. Agents are one of the previews that are coming according to that graphic released when the faction focus articles started, lending further credibility to the idea of a dex. At the very least, the faction focus article should confirm it beyond the shadow of a doubt when it comes.

If we don't get a dex, we'll be stuck with a single detachment from the index... Which I don't think does justice to Agents at all, so here's hoping for the dex. 

As for Stormtroopers, with Arbites, Kasrkin and Breachers, I honestly think the niche that Stormtroopers would fill is full. Don't get me wrong- I love them, and if they do get produced I will buy them. But what would really impact the dex is HQs for Arbites and Breachers and some vehicles- even if they're only transports. My hope beyond hope is the release of a plastic Repressor- for use by Agents and Sisters. The timing has never been more right- the return of Arbites, the near completion of the plastic Sisters line, the return of firing points... It just all adds up to Repressor.

I also want the HQ status of Assassins to go away- that's a gamey work-around that doesn't make a lot of fluff sense to me. Solo operative =/= leader of troops. But that's my own personal gripe.