Leagues of Votann - Range Compilation

twiglets

The range together.

It really feels like a few people wildly jumped the gun on the Votann, I've seen pages of complaining on some forums when it's not really possible to get the right vibe from the range until its seen how it all ties together.

rsz3jgpo5cc91.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

Edited by twiglets

They look consistent, for sure. People may or may not dig it, but it is internally consistent. It's not necessarily consistent with "old squats", but I think that's for the better.

Love the female Votann head!

I predict a lot of people saying it doesn't look 40k. 

But I for one welcome a bit of change! Not everything "human" ish has to look the same. 

I wasn't too fussed on them as a whole at first, but seeing the stiched together group shot of the range so far has me pretty excited for them. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Coolpants said:

I predict a lot of people saying it doesn't look 40k. 

But I for one welcome a bit of change! Not everything "human" ish has to look the same. 

I wasn't too fussed on them as a whole at first, but seeing the stiched together group shot of the range so far has me pretty excited for them. 

I've seen quite a few say they're "not 40k" but I don't even get what that means. 40k is a mix of different styles and aesthetics with no singular look.

Edited by TheVoidDragon

"not 40k" seems to often mean not having a lot of ornamentation, barroque imagery, or being unapologetically impractical to be imposing (giant walking robot churches is the best example). Really it seems to mean "not Imperium" half of the time, since the above really doesn't fit in on most xenos.

14 minutes ago, Reinhard said:

"not 40k" seems to often mean not having a lot of ornamentation, barroque imagery, or being unapologetically impractical to be imposing (giant walking robot churches is the best example). Really it seems to mean "not Imperium" half of the time, since the above really doesn't fit in on most xenos.

Yet Eldar of all sorts, orks, nids are all very 40k.

its hard to pinpoint what makes a faction look 40k, but there’s a point in there somewhere

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

14 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I’m in the ‘not very 40k’ camp the more we see, but at the same time I don’t think tau look very 40k either, yet they’ve been 40k for decades now.

Cadians and Catachans are the least 40k of the main guard regiments in my opinion. There isn't really a contradiction between a setting containing variety and some parts of that variety being more 'core' to the aesthetic.

I like both Votann vehicles I'm just not a big fan of the infantry.

8 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

its hard to pinpoint what makes a faction look 40k, but there’s a point in there somewhere

I really don’t get how Eldar look ‘40k’ but Tau don’t. Or nids vs tau. 

8 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

We've seen Guard regiments themed on everything from roman warriors, Gladitors, Space ANZAC, Samurai, Medieval Knights, Sci-fi Droptroopers, WW1 Trench warfare, Post-apocolyptic, WW2 Soviets, Steampunk Cossacks, 19th Century British, Mongolia and lots more. There are all sorts of vastly different aesthetics within the setting.

4 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Yet DE, orks, nids are all very 40k.

But Eldar and Necrons qualify less?? (And T'au, but you already mentioned them).

Necron's would actually have been a top pick of mine for a xenos race where the above definition does work, since they got a fair bit of their own ornamentation. 

Honestly, the more I think about it, I suppose ornamention for the sake of ornamention rather than practicality is one of the biggest thing for teh aesthetics for almost all of 40k. Don't even have to mention Imperium or Chaos. Necrons and Eldar have their own symbols and shapes, Orks have their primitive glyphs and bosspoles and whatnot, Dark Eldar have spikes up the wazzoo, In that light, the rather ornamentationless T'au and now Votann, could feel less 40k like and thus out of place?

But again this doesn't work with Nids. Yet Nids are iconic. Or does it? Is it the whole spiky carapaces and headcrests and whatnot that sets nid apart from otherwise completely generic space monsters?

I realize I'm rambling, but this interests me greatly.

Something feels 40k because Games Workshop's artists put a spin on a trope or historical look and then it slowly cements itself into the lore and feel over time.

imo that appears to be exactly what they've done here and the only ingredient it is missing is time for people to get used to it.

I feel like if Warhammer Plus had an episode featuring the votann it would probably go a long way to cementing them. Seeing them interact with the imperium and xenos would help a lot.

33 minutes ago, fire golem said:

I really don’t get how Eldar look ‘40k’ but Tau don’t. Or nids vs tau. 

Tau just look too gundam to me.

maybe if their battle suits looked less like gundams that would change for me.

29 minutes ago, TheVoidDragon said:

We've seen Guard regiments themed on everything from roman warriors, Gladitors, Space ANZAC, Samurai, Medieval Knights, Sci-fi Droptroopers, WW1 Trench warfare, Post-apocolyptic, WW2 Soviets, Steampunk Cossacks, 19th Century British, Mongolia and lots more. There are all sorts of vastly different aesthetics within the setting.

And yet all that variety still maintains a core 40k aesthetic that I am not feeling with votann

30 minutes ago, Reinhard said:

But Eldar and Necrons qualify less?? (And T'au, but you already mentioned them).

Necron's would actually have been a top pick of mine for a xenos race where the above definition does work, since they got a fair bit of their own ornamentation. 

Honestly, the more I think about it, I suppose ornamention for the sake of ornamention rather than practicality is one of the biggest thing for teh aesthetics for almost all of 40k. Don't even have to mention Imperium or Chaos. Necrons and Eldar have their own symbols and shapes, Orks have their primitive glyphs and bosspoles and whatnot, Dark Eldar have spikes up the wazzoo, In that light, the rather ornamentationless T'au and now Votann, could feel less 40k like and thus out of place?

But again this doesn't work with Nids. Yet Nids are iconic. Or does it? Is it the whole spiky carapaces and headcrests and whatnot that sets nid apart from otherwise completely generic space monsters?

I realize I'm rambling, but this interests me greatly.

Maybe you’re on to something, it’s just hard to pinpoint a good accurate description of what the 40k aesthetic is short of ‘gothic with skulls everywhere’

10 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

And yet all that variety still maintains a core 40k aesthetic that I am not feeling with votann

...I really don't see how you can say that when they have almost nothing in common with each other and some of them were pretty much just real-world uniforms with a Lasgun?

high-tech slightly classic sci-fi is no more unfitting for 40k than every other style that's included.

Edited by TheVoidDragon

Perhaps one characteristic that makes things feel like 40k is 'old'. Everything in the setting is ancient (or at least decrepit in the case of orks), so when they introduce something that looks new, like Tau, or the Primaris, or to some extent the Leagues of Votann, it sticks out.

As for the LoV, looking at that composite picture of all of the images, the first thing that comes to mind is "Imperial Tau". And I guess that might be something they were going for, too. I really appreciate the overarching logic and continuity in the designs, how the LoV share some design cues with other known relics of the Dark Age of Technology, the Kastelan Robots for example, but still look like their own thing. Not sure if like them that much, but I appreciate the design choices. Then again, squats or dwarfs were never my thing anyway, so wouldn't really have been interested in these no matter what.

Looking at that picture of the units combined (Thanks for posting that)..I get a Hi-tech Explorers vibe. which is kinda new and cool, I'm pretty much over lotsa skulls and walking church cathedrals and floating baby heads... 

I'm rather happy with the Direction GW is taking the LoV in :thumbsup:

Well, to be fair, Blizzard did copy quite a lot from GW for their products.

Just fair to borrow something back from them.

At first, I wasn't s big fan of the obvious SC Marine look but I'm digging it now. 

Something new to 40k for sure.

But, their work on other Dwarf factions is way more creative, unique and thus "better", imho.

Nonetheless, I love the explorer vibe I'm getting from them!