Leagues of Votann - Range Compilation

twiglets

23 hours ago, mithrilforge said:

Lately GW in their kits has been giving enough options for either head choice... although i hope they're not like the Necromunda heads where you joined two parts to make a head...thus giving you zero extra heads from the kit (that might have been one of several points that turned me of NM :rolleyes: ) 

be cool to make a whole unit helmeted and one bare headed... for unit identification during CC fighting etc.

Mithril 

I'm thinking the heads will be exchangeable across the whole range -which would be excellent for getting variety and I'm sure the folks wanting all Ironkin or pure helmeted squads would be sorted. I'm really liking the bare heads and open helmet options myself. 

On 7/28/2022 at 12:20 AM, sitnam said:

The Battle Sisters kit comes with enough like 25-30 heads, enough for full helmet or bare headed squads. It even has enough for 5 celestians iirc.

Is that number an exception or is that in-line with how other kits have been recently, though?

Recent kits have an abundance of spare heads. It's unusual now if a kit did not come with lots of spares. It's the quickest way to break up repeats or to add character.

On 7/30/2022 at 5:40 PM, Slave to Darkness said:

Explains why some have not got full beards, may have gotten ran over by their drunken mates. 

Not drunken, just over-enthusiastic about beard hygiene. 

I could head cannon them, a d extensive conversions.

I see 1 of 2 options.

1. Iron kin, that are focused on melee.

(Full on cyber Slayer).

2. A votann that went ultra crazy on augments (no longer organic)and also merged with a iron kin.

Making an unstable with split personalities, iron kin augment

I love how the votann look "totally not 40kish" and that is fine by me.   I like a faction that is juxtaposed against all the grimdarkness of 40k.  it sets them apart from all other faction in 40k

Paradoxically, the more factions that are included that don't "look 40K" the more 40K they'll end up looking by contributing to the overall aesthetic, leading to a more eclectic mix (which is surely a good thing). T'au, for example, was an aesthetic completely outside the norm initially but now I think of them as being very 40K after all their years of being 40K. The same will be said, I'm sure, of the Votann given time.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m still not on board as of yet (love the prospectors tho) but I do like the evolution of the unit naming from the original squats:

Kahl = warlord 

Ironkyn = guild engineer

Hearthkyn warriors = warriors 

Einhyr hearthguard = exo armour 

Sagitaur atv = ?

Cthonian beserks = beserkers 

Hernkyn pioneers = guild trikes

Brokhyr thunderkyn = thunderers

1 hour ago, jimbo1701 said:

I’m still not on board as of yet (love the prospectors tho) but I do like the evolution of the unit naming from the original squats:

Kahl = warlord 

Ironkyn = guild engineer

Hearthkyn warriors = warriors 

Einhyr hearthguard = exo armour 

Sagitaur atv = ?

Cthonian beserks = beserkers 

Hernkyn pioneers = guild trikes

Brokhyr thunderkyn = thunderers

Ironkin aren't the guild Engineers, they're not a single unit. It's the Brokkyr Ironmasters (who can have Ironkin with them) who seem to be the equivalent of Guild Engineers.

The Einhyr Hearthguard are an update of Squat Hearthguard.

5 hours ago, TheVoidDragon said:

Ironkin aren't the guild Engineers, they're not a single unit. It's the Brokkyr Ironmasters (who can have Ironkin with them) who seem to be the equivalent of Guild Engineers.

The Einhyr Hearthguard are an update of Squat Hearthguard.

My mistake re: the ironkin/iron master confusion. 

hearthguard/exo armour a bit less straightforward as hearthguard existed with and without exo armour, as did warlords in previous editions of 40k / epic. I guess a good analogy would be space marine terminators - the veterans wear the armour but they can wear power armour as well, plus captains and other officers can also wear the terminator armour. So we are both technically right and wrong - the einhyr hearthguard are an update of hearthguard in exo-armour. 

On 8/25/2022 at 10:24 AM, Ashur said:

They have always been the working class hero faction for me. They need something more down to earth, less colour,, then I think the minis would really stand out. 

Funny you say that, their vanilla paint scheme is very simialr to GSC, who are also working class heroes :laugh:

So by my count we have:

4 or 5 HQ choices (depending on whether they slot the Einhyr Champion in HQ or Elite)

2-3 Elites (Once again depending on the champion)

1 Troop

1 Fast Attack

2 Heavy Supports

1 Transport

I also play Custodes and Fyreslayers so I'm used to not having a ton of variety in my options but I'll be honest that I was hoping for a little more variety. Their release said this is all the leagues have to offer but I really hope they just meant first wave.

On 9/2/2022 at 3:11 PM, Iron Father Ferrum said:

Oh.  I expected the Sagitaur to be a Dedicated Transport.  Huh.

I think it can be viewed as less of a transport (though it clearly can do that) and rather more of a light, harassing tank, depending on how you use it. A couple of them kitted out with the MATR autocannons would be good Marine killers while dropping off objective grabbers, while another couple with the beam cannons could threaten enemy armor. Similar to how Razorbacks are used by some Firstborn SM armies to be "light" Predators- a semi-disposable unit that can move fast and pack on a respectable weapon suite. It also allows them to be taken without having a Troop unit embarked on them during deployment, since they aren't Dedicated Transports.

Edited by Lord_Ikka

On 9/1/2022 at 2:43 PM, T-Grizz said:

Their release said this is all the leagues have to offer but I really hope they just meant first wave.

Read on the Leagues Reddit one poster was at NOVA and Pete Foley said this was just the first wave. I'd imagine there's at least a killteam next year and further releases through a 10th edition codex and/or a campaign book. The range looks pretty solid but its largely a reimagining of the original squats -plenty of scope for new stuff. 

I really like the new range. To me, its the perfect rebuttal to the 20 years of "but dwarves in space is such a stupid idea lol" comments which have perpetuated ever since GW decided not to renew them back in the 3rd edition.

I think a lot of us always knew that if the design team were given the resources and time to work on them they could produce something like this, and they have done it. It carries the trope of them having a high-technology base really well, and has just kept the right level of reference to the originals (and some fun little Easter eggs for those of us who remember them) without going back into full bearded, cigar-chomping biker territory, and really the object of ridicule.

As for them being 'not 40k' I kind of understand the opinion, but I would say they are much closer to the classic 'Tolkein' template that much of 40k is based on, in terms of the races, than the Tau are, who carry some quite obvious Japanese/Gundam/mecha design influence and do look a bit more like someone has taken their toy collection to play on a table with your 40k. The lack of baroque/John Blanche-style design of functionally useless ostentation - again the Nids, Eldar etc dont have this either. And Im glad they havent just lifted the WHFB Dwarves or Kharadron into 40k, which would have probably prompted a lot more complaints.

Anyway, I guess a lot of this is subjective. What I will say is that this is the first time for a long time I am buying 40k miniatures, so they have done something right!

Edited by Pacific81

Hot take: "Not 40k" is a valueless criticism because it ignores the inevitable 'yet' element.

After all, this setting advances. Early 40k was silly as hell. We still have silly comedic elements, :cuss:. It's a hodgepodge of themes when you consider the ridiculousness of Orks models lined up alongside serious, tragic stories about the Crimson Fists or Celestial Lions. 

Would Hellsreach be as compelling a story when you factor in the silly nonsense Orks get up to in the model line?