Exo-Armour reveal and Discussion

28 minutes ago, Triszin said:

so rumor image may be solved?

I would hazard a guess each "chapter" of votann will have a different animal as the totem
weve seen a horse, wolf/boar, and a eagle (rumor image)

I'd guess a bear and a serpent are left?

sawhnyjs7z691.jpg

K7V19cBn1ngB0QA7.jpg

Likely they are more of a squad marking thing.

Looks like I'm in the minority here but I really love these new models, to the point they've sold the whole faction for me. Yes they look StarCrafty, but then I like StarCraft so that's not an issue for me, and as is often the case with GW kits, a non-studio paintjob will do wonders for making them "feel" more 40k.

I don't dislike it. I don't like it either. Like all the other stuff it feels just middling and uninspired. It's by no means a bad design, but neither is an overly interesting one.

It's great to see a little more of the Dwarf aesthetic at least, but I really don't get those animal banners. I feel like different visages of the Votann would have fit so much better than animals.

Overall my thoughts on it are...was that really the best they could come up with? A slightly more sophisticated set of Terminator armour ? There are so many cool styles they could have go for that would have made unique in the same way as the Kharadron Overlords are. Like, how amount a Dieselpunk style with an armoured canopy ( something that the setting doesn't really have much of) and slightly more angular parts. Like this: http://archive.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=350009

Not really got any editing skills but I quickly tried something that to me would have felt much more unique and interesting. A mini mech suit version of Exo-armour:

ArmourExosuit01.png

Edited by TheVoidDragon

54 minutes ago, tinpact said:

GW ripping off Blizzard? Full circle, baby.

Anyway, GWs insistence on making weird exo-armors continues. These ones in particular seem to evoke the same problems the old Gravis captain had.

Is it really ripping off blizzard if they’re just reappropriating what was stolen from them?

Wow...love these...nice few tidbits of design bits on them...terminator armouresque power feeds, runes on armour plates, volkite ish weapons, spinal interface syggestions on the rear pic.  Dunno why they are painted in soh colours tho!   Heheheh.

I kind of like them. I think they could do with some different heads that look more obviously dwarf like and a cool helmet. I’m more worried about upcoming vehicle options. I don’t like the hover bike and it makes me worried that any re-imagined  land train will be unrecognisable. I feel like GW have played things safe and fairly generic rather than do something more risky like a more 80s metal vibe. 

10 minutes ago, Red_Shift said:

I kind of like them. I think they could do with some different heads that look more obviously dwarf like and a cool helmet. I’m more worried about upcoming vehicle options. I don’t like the hover bike and it makes me worried that any re-imagined  land train will be unrecognisable. I feel like GW have played things safe and fairly generic rather than do something more risky like a more 80s metal vibe. 

They didn't even have to do something that risky to make them more interesting than this. A dieselpunk-ish retro-futurism vibe like the Fallout series. A classic sci-fi novel cover inspiration. Even just the armoured astronaut idea they have gone for but with more of the Dwarf side (a little more angular and geometric) would have been better than bland sci-fi Imperium-lite look.

Edited by TheVoidDragon

Not a huge fan of the new armour, but I wasn't expecting this faction to light my world on fire anyway. Still, feels a bit uninteresting, like something I've seen before a hundred times.

On 6/30/2022 at 6:51 PM, phandaal said:

True. Going from 0.0001% of the customer base to 0.0002% is technically more.

You know 40k isn't just a boys club right? There are a whole lot of women that enjoy this game and the setting, and pretending they don't exist just makes them feel alienated from the community. Can't believe I'm seeing this nonsense here in 2022. What's next, girls just don't like video games either? :rolleyes:

Really love them, not in that scheme but I'm exiting to get my hands on them. A few guys have mocked them up in alt schemes and added dwarf runes and battle markings ad they look ace. Betting they will come with a load of options too as the leaked art for them on the card box has one with a shield/dual bolter load out, hoping for more big hammers/axes.. 

I like these guys- pretty much tied with Necrosquats. So far, the only thing I've seen that I don't like is the hover-trike. And if a converted it to wheels, I'd be fine with it too.

Curious to see what else there is- I think that seeing multiple units presented together as an army will have an impact. I also agree with Valkyrion:

"Mind you, I didn't think Tau did when they first came out and now they have their own identity and are fully part of the 40k feel,"

I think that "things not fitting the existing aesthetic" is how the aesthetic grows.