The Aksha'i Cruentes - A World Eater Crusade Log

Cheex

Love the new models - the are great updates of the old ones - better poses, better parts used (particulary in terms of heads and helmets) better paint jobs, all while retaining much of their original character.

In particular, I really like the orange-gold gold of the lenses and plasma pistol, and the bloody chin of the chainglaive model.  While I understand the desire to keep the original's skin tone, the pale skin of the new one serves as a better contrast to the gold trim of his armour and the blood on this face.

Yeah, right hand power fists are as pretty hard to find - if you ever need another, though, there is one in the raptors box, which can prove a source if you old supply of bits runs out of them.

12 hours ago, Cheex said:

I finished painting the new iterations of my three Berzerker Champions last night. This was a long time coming, and I'm very happy with how they turned out!

And yes, I know power fists aren't legal on Berzerker Champions now. I guess they'll just have to count as Berzerker Chain Weapons for now.

I'm a big fan of the Chosen kit, it's so full of characterful bits to make unit champions. I only used two of the bodies here, but I've got the other three stashed away for future conversions.

They are looking really good, but what stands out for me is that glow on the plasma pistol. That really looks like it is radiating searing heat.

13 hours ago, Dr_Ruminahui said:

Love the new models - the are great updates of the old ones - better poses, better parts used (particulary in terms of heads and helmets) better paint jobs, all while retaining much of their original character.

In particular, I really like the orange-gold gold of the lenses and plasma pistol, and the bloody chin of the chainglaive model.  While I understand the desire to keep the original's skin tone, the pale skin of the new one serves as a better contrast to the gold trim of his armour and the blood on this face.

Yeah, right hand power fists are as pretty hard to find - if you ever need another, though, there is one in the raptors box, which can prove a source if you old supply of bits runs out of them.

Thank you! If I ever needed proof that my painting skills are always improving, this project was exactly that. Some things haven't changed much over the past few years (Dreior's armour was painted in much the same way as these newer models, for example), but there are a lot of things I think I've gotten better at. Faces, metals and leather in particular.

I'm not too bothered about the skin tone - to be honest, when I originally painted that model, I had no idea how to paint skin. The darker tone was completely by accident. And you're right, the lighter tone does work better with the blood spatter.

Definitely a fan of the Raptor kit for weapon options - Dreior's original power fist came from that, and Kratus' chainfist was converted from one as well.

4 hours ago, Kythnos said:

They are looking really good, but what stands out for me is that glow on the plasma pistol. That really looks like it is radiating searing heat.

Thanks! I don't remember where I first saw that effect, but I loved it and thought it'd be perfect for angry World Eaters. It's nearly all done with very thin layers of Contrast paints (aside from the yellow base and white areas).

• 3 weeks later...

I played a second game last week, so here's battle 10:

More bad decisions! Kratus's command is looking shakier by the minute, with a shocking Personal Glory value of just 1 after a string of bad losses.

In other news, I didn't like the model I had for Thrax the Exalted Champion, so I printed up some replacement bits for him:

Edited by Cheex

It's always tough to be the melee army in a three player battle if the others have more shooting potential, as you will have to split your forces more than they do or move everything into ine opponent for the third player to gain dominance (as in your previous game, basically).

Good luck next time!

32 minutes ago, Kythnos said:

It's always tough to be the melee army in a three player battle if the others have more shooting potential, as you will have to split your forces more than they do or move everything into ine opponent for the third player to gain dominance (as in your previous game, basically).

Good luck next time!

That was absolutely a factor, and definitely not helped by the fact that a random half of my army had to start the battle in reserves, and I had the last turn in the sequence. It meant that when I brought my reserves in, there were very few places to put them. Still, even had I managed to secure a better place for my Berzerkers to come in, they were stuck in transports so had no way to charge when they arrived.

I would've been far better off keeping them out of their transports (since this isn't Nephilim). If they set up on the table, there was plenty of cover for me to set up behind, then jump into the transport on turn 1. If they enter from reserves, then I have the choice of embarking after turning up if I need the protection.

Ah well, lesson learnt!

Congratulations on the win this time around and thank you for always making the effort to post these reports. This kind of narrative gaming is where 9th edition is really good at and that is often missed among the discussions on the faults of this edition. So thank you for championing it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 4:18 PM, Kythnos said:

Congratulations on the win this time around and thank you for always making the effort to post these reports. This kind of narrative gaming is where 9th edition is really good at and that is often missed among the discussions on the faults of this edition. So thank you for championing it!

Thanks! I'm having a blast with Crusade - I agree, it's exactly where 9th edition shines. However, I don't think I would enjoy it as much if it weren't for Administratum taking care of the homework aspect of it for me.

Anyway, quick update today since I didn't play any games last week: Kratus got a new leg!

The only thing left for this model is that I need something to represent his Serpentine Fangs boon (+1 to wound when charging). Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been very slack with posting this battle - this actually happened more than three weeks ago, but real life got in the way and I never got around to posting it. I haven't fought any battles since then, but hopefully that will change this week!

Kratus is becoming more and more damned by the minute...

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Cheex said:

It's been a little while since I posted one, but I've got two more battle reports to type up. In the meantime, here's a little sneak peek of something else I've been working on:

20221118_175555.jpg

A bionic and one 'regular' Leg. Did someone advance to become a Dämon Prince? ;-)

Finally posted up the battle from last week! This will probably be the last 50PL battle for a while - I think everyone in the group is now comfortably able to run 75PL+ games, so we should start to see more "normal" size games in the future.

On 11/19/2022 at 11:14 AM, Kythnos said:

A bionic and one 'regular' Leg. Did someone advance to become a Dämon Prince? ;-)

I don't know what you're talking about :angel:

Thanks @Dr_Ruminahui, I appreciate the comment!

I always say that Past Cheex is an idiot; Present Cheex is always left trying to pick up his mess. Future Cheex will be fine, I'm sure.

Anyway, true to form, here's another battle from almost two weeks ago!

Edited by Cheex

• 3 weeks later...