Forge World and Chaos Marks

Squike
Go to solution Solved by Cpt.Danjou,

Can Forge World units like the Contemptor, Leviathan and Sicaran currently take Chaos Marks with the new codex, or do we have to wait for an Imperial Armour Errata to sort the mess out?

I believe that currently only the contemptor has the CORE keyword. 

Unsolicited opinion, the -1 CP cost makes them all non-starters, but for funsies I think I'd still mess with contemptors and leviathans. Mark of Khorne Contemptor is pushed to S8 in combat during the first round, so will be wounding most marines on 2+, so that's something for sure.

Edited by Khornestar

47 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

I believe that currently only the contemptor has the CORE keyword. 

Unsolicited opinion, the -1 CP cost makes them all non-starters, but for funsies I think I'd still mess with contemptors and leviathans. Mark of Khorne Contemptor is pushed to S8 in combat during the first round, so will be wounding most marines on 2+, so that's something for sure.

I missed the CORE keyword being absent from the Leviathan and Sicaran , however I was looking more towards the fact that the <MARK OF CHAOS> isn't a keyword used for the distribution of chaos marks anymore....

19 minutes ago, Squike said:

I missed the CORE keyword being absent from the Leviathan and Sicaran , however I was looking more towards the fact that the <MARK OF CHAOS> isn't a keyword used for the distribution of chaos marks anymore....

The contemptor has both CORE and <MARK OF CHAOS> keywords, and nothing else has them both AFAIK, and so outside of the god-based legions don't think anything with only <MARK OF CHAOS> can get a mark. I think.

Edited by Khornestar

16 hours ago, Cpt.Danjou said:

As in the codex pg112, to mark something is that it must have <Chaos Undivided Core> or <Chaos Undivided Character> named characters excluded. Daemon Prince mus take a mark. 

so we are waiting on an errata to sort out the IAC then.

I would assume so, the wording as it is now, if a model hasn't got the undivided part of the rule, it can't take marks from the codex. And would be surprised if the Sicaran will be able to take a mark, if not EC, the dreads might get it as the Helbrute is able to take it, but then they must also be core.

4 hours ago, Cpt.Danjou said:

I would assume so, the wording as it is now, if a model hasn't got the undivided part of the rule, it can't take marks from the codex. And would be surprised if the Sicaran will be able to take a mark, if not EC, the dreads might get it as the Helbrute is able to take it, but then they must also be core.

Leviathan being able to take it would be my wish. Hoping they don't nix the contemptor's keyword and just have everything be as-is.

15 hours ago, Khornestar said:

It might have been unclear, what I was trying to say before is that the contemptor is currently the only FW unit that can take a mark.

except it cant... it doesn't have the required keywords, as <Mark of Chaos> is no longer the correct keyword....

you are correct that it used to be and that was my mistake in the original post, but it is currently not able to.

Would be great for them to get this sorted out, I'd love to be able to use some of the stuff I'm adding to my Word Bearers a bit better than now.

I'm hoping we get some better support for the FW/30k kits, been eying painting some up as Black Legion as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Which now means death guard and thousand sons can't take any forgeworld units since they removed marks of chaos from almost everything which is the thing thousand sons and death guard need to be able to take forgeworld units, what a joke, Contemptors can be given marks but only in a csm detachment due to chaos undivided keyword

17 hours ago, Plaguecaster said:

Which now means death guard and thousand sons can't take any forgeworld units since they removed marks of chaos from almost everything which is the thing thousand sons and death guard need to be able to take forgeworld units, what a joke, Contemptors can be given marks but only in a csm detachment due to chaos undivided keyword

was trying to find the rule that says they have to have nurgle as a keyword through games-workshop, but was failing, any chance you can show it here? 

it may be that you cant change <mark of chaos> to nurgle, but the rule just says if you have <mark of chaos> you have to change it to nurgle, and then if it doesn't you don't have to change it?

6 hours ago, Squike said:

was trying to find the rule that says they have to have nurgle as a keyword through games-workshop, but was failing, any chance you can show it here? 

it may be that you cant change <mark of chaos> to nurgle, but the rule just says if you have <mark of chaos> you have to change it to nurgle, and then if it doesn't you don't have to change it?

896464284_Screenshot_20220914-082239_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.f047513e89f3ce15f6b0096fd92ca5e6.jpg.3885290a425f7b8390feaf99608b9bf8.jpg552683270_Screenshot_20220914-082326_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.ba4998f73cd0976ca98d4ac6ee47e14e.jpg.70fec8e759215c92805cb01d5dc35964.jpg

Its in the faq right above the new faq change  which says change mark of chaos to traitoris astartes so now no way of having tzentch or nurgle keyword so unable to take in a DG or TS army, 

If it doesn't have it then you can't take it 

Edited by Plaguecaster

On 9/14/2022 at 6:02 PM, Plaguecaster said:

896464284_Screenshot_20220914-082239_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.f047513e89f3ce15f6b0096fd92ca5e6.jpg.3885290a425f7b8390feaf99608b9bf8.jpg552683270_Screenshot_20220914-082326_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.ba4998f73cd0976ca98d4ac6ee47e14e.jpg.70fec8e759215c92805cb01d5dc35964.jpg

Its in the faq right above the new faq change  which says change mark of chaos to traitoris astartes so now no way of having tzentch or nurgle keyword so unable to take in a DG or TS army, 

If it doesn't have it then you can't take it 

ah I see, I was looking in the Death Guard Codex, 

Yeah unfortunately, they have :cuss: up there and it seems you cannot currently take them....

I would send an email to their FAQ team, (not that it will do anything, but it might make you feel better :laugh:)

Edited by Iron Father Ferrum
Don't dodge the swear filter.

unless the only one you can take is anything with the "chaos undivided" & "core" keywords?

use the CSM rules to give them the Nurgle keyword and pay the extra 15 points for it but recieve none of the benefits? then it has Nurgle and you can then use the rules above to include it, I guess this means the contemptor could be the only choice you can take?

You have to take a detachment of CSMs in order to be able to upgrade chaos undivided into a mark so can't really see being able to do so for death guard since also doing so would lose DG rules like contagion etc 

Gw really screwed over DG and TS all my fw units I've convert now useless and unplayable with my DG 

A bit off topic, but, this and that change to the engagement rules from the Rule book kinda a show that whoever is behind these FAQs might not know what they are doing. Like this is a clear oversight in how armies are constructed. For the time being TS and DG players (competitively speaking) legally can't bring any forgeworld units. And how in the core rule book that new engagement rule just suddenly disappeared. Whoever is making these FAQs should take better care in actually fixing the rules, instead rushed band-aid solutions that are just going to be band-aided again in 2 weeks

10 hours ago, Ezekyle_Abaddon said:

A bit off topic, but, this and that change to the engagement rules from the Rule book kinda a show that whoever is behind these FAQs might not know what they are doing. Like this is a clear oversight in how armies are constructed. For the time being TS and DG players (competitively speaking) legally can't bring any forgeworld units. And how in the core rule book that new engagement rule just suddenly disappeared. Whoever is making these FAQs should take better care in actually fixing the rules, instead rushed band-aid solutions that are just going to be band-aided again in 2 weeks

its more than likely the intern or work experience kids job...