Local RTT - 2000pnts - 20/8/22 - BA

Morticon

Heya all!! 

So, despite the relative silence, I've been gaming fairly regularly here (well, upon return from the holiday). 

I'm in a small local tournament next weekend.  It's all local players (i think I may be the only foreigner- so that's gonna be a bit of a challenge in  of itself!!), but they have possibly one of the best gaming ability averages I've ever seen in small regional groups.  Really talented bunch. 

I'll be taking the Blood Angels (non-successors this time, on account of the difficulties of the new cp system, and how it pushes you towards the named characters. 

I'll be looking at this:

Dante (WL)

Astorath - Mantra/Hate

DC Captain - Bike, Hammer, LC, Visage, RoW.

2x5 Assault Intercessors

1x5 Incursors

2x5 Death Co - JP, 4TH

3x5 Sang Guard - 2Axe, 3Swords

2x2 Attack Bikes- Multi Meltas

1x2 ATV - Multi Meltas

1x3 Eliminators

I toiled for a while on what to take, and was fiddling around with a bunch of things to try make the new secondaries work, but settled on something really familiar and something I enjoy playing.  I'm a huge fan of the bikes, despite them seeming to get no love in a lot of tournaments (where people seem to use every available point to get more SG in) - but I like the options they give me.  

The eliminators have been really good in my list in that they've allowed me to camp on objectives, while my other models move forward to engage.  

I've played Fury of the lost 3 times now, with an average score of 13.  I've also played Blade of Sanguinius (with Astorath being my killer) in 2 games, and got 10 in the one, and 15 in the other- nice to know it's an option. 

Shock Tactics or Relentless are another option I toggle. 

So, it's usually Fury, Shock/Relentless and one other - in recent tests its been Banners, Bring it Down or Blade. 

Lists i've seen so far include:

UM, RG, SW, Tksons, GK, Sisters, Harlies, Eldar, Nids, CSM, Demons. 

I'm most worried about the Harlies, the Nids, the Sisters and the CSM. All very, very strong lists. 

I do like the eliminators for holding the home field, they have the right level of resilience/firepower to be mostly ignored while racking up a few kills over a game. 6 multi meltas to focus on big targets is ok, id like more than that myself but that's me. There's enough fast Jp units to make it into combat i'd be intrested to know how you get on

I think a small assault marine squad with meltaguns have similar function(to deliver 2 melta shots, ATV multi-melta shoot longer, but fast flying bodies equal to extending the range) and cost of an ATV, but more flexible(they are still some marine bodies with chainsword and BA super-doctrine) and fit BA secondaries better.

Tokugawa, 
In retrospect, I think I may have liked that.  

Two melta/LC jumpies and 3 attack bikes. Would save me 30 points, which is either 2 more hammers in the DC (which I think are good) or one more SG.  It's less melta over-all, but arguably more options. 

16 hours ago, Morticon said:

The eliminators have been really good in my list in that they've allowed me to camp on objectives, while my other models move forward to engage.  

Are you running Sniper Eliminators or Las Fusils? The price drop has made the Las Fusils look interesting.

Many marine factions have "hero challenge" secondaries with identical text now. But it is much more easy for BA than for other chapters, since BA have many flying units, you have a chance about just nominate a weaker squishy target, and throw some fast units to hunt it down, for scoring at least 10 VP.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to score 10 on blade now, and with the nerfs to secondaries 10 is generally fine to score on 1 or even 2 secondaries

Unless you're up against crons, but that's a different story.

I keep waffling between Astorath and Mephiston in that slot, since Astoraths primary unique buff doesn't help SG at all, and he gets 2 litanies but they go off on 3s, he's actually a better beatstick than Meph, mantra of Strength and Hate and he's D4 with full rerolls to hit.

But Mephiston opens up psychic secondaries, or denies them from your opponent.

A 6 man assault squad with meltas is solid now for secondaries

17 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Are you running Sniper Eliminators or Las Fusils? The price drop has made the Las Fusils look interesting.

3 Fusils, for sure. 

The carbine is REALLY useful, and a like it- but I've found that it's hampered by the range, and I find I need to push up more than need be.  So, I go with the D3 fusils. 

10 hours ago, Jolemai said:

Finding Blade too swingy atm, but I guess I need to practice more with it. ABs are very you so it's good to see them. DC Bike Captain is interesting. FF choice and to do what the Primaris Chaplain on Bike did pre-Nephilim?

That's exactly right!!  Options for Forlorn, but also more importantly, Fury of the Lost!!! It's an extra unit that can add to that.  I find Fury better than Death from Above. And with W6 and option to get 3++ (in combat) he's nifty!!  The flip obj ability really makes him solid. 

2 hours ago, The Unseen said:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to score 10 on blade now, and with the nerfs to secondaries 10 is generally fine to score on 1 or even 2 secondaries

Unless you're up against crons, but that's a different story.

I keep waffling between Astorath and Mephiston in that slot, since Astoraths primary unique buff doesn't help SG at all, and he gets 2 litanies but they go off on 3s, he's actually a better beatstick than Meph, mantra of Strength and Hate and he's D4 with full rerolls to hit.

But Mephiston opens up psychic secondaries, or denies them from your opponent.

A 6 man assault squad with meltas is solid now for secondaries

The first version of this list had Mephiston in it too!! I found him viable for psychic secondaries and still a nice above average beatstick.  The issue was he just wasn't bringing enough for me.  That being said, I only had two games -  I think he could work! 

9 hours ago, Morticon said:

I find Fury better than Death from Above. And with W6 and option to get 3++ (in combat) he's nifty!!  The flip obj ability really makes him solid. 

Fury is easier to score than DFA but you have a different selection of units to work with. 

9 hours ago, Morticon said:

The first version of this list had Mephiston in it too!! I found him viable for psychic secondaries and still a nice above average beatstick.  The issue was he just wasn't bringing enough for me.  That being said, I only had two games -  I think he could work! 

6W, T5 and a 2+/5+++ save and AoC makes him pretty tanky. He hits harder than a PF Captain and you don't need to spend CPs on WLTs or Relics (handy post-Nephilim). I think he has mileage but probably needs more experimenting.

17 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Fury is easier to score than DFA but you have a different selection of units to work with. 

I discovered an interesting thing in playtesting last night.  It's the first loss I've had with this list. I was playing TKsons and got stomped 97-66.    The DC I really needed to thin out the Scarabs, but I wasn't scoring points with them before they died. It would have been MUCH better to play DFA vs TKsons.  Lesson learned for next time. 

So, still massively pushed for time...so dont have time to go into detail......however, for Jols sake - who seems to be the only one curious anyway:biggrin:

I went 3-1 ( Win, Win, Win, Loss).  

The final list was a nightmare - and I hadnt had ANY experience playing those rules-which were just some stupid stupid shizzle.  

The reactive army I had allowed me to go first or second, but benefitted going first more, i feel. 

Especially in the sisters game where I was able to keep him back and off objectives, crushing his primary game (despite him gettting 42 for secondaries).

My secondary game was on fire for most of the tourney, only really failing in game 3, where I switched from Fury to DFA, and sequencing issues saw me lose out on 7 points over two turns.  Shock tactics was taken in all but one game, and I think I got 15/15 for 3 of 3 games. 

Fury netted me some great points too in most games.  

I wound up coming 4th overall, after some crazy close games (I beat Eldar by one point, beat sisters by 5) but happy to know that the players that got 2nd and 3rd were both the players that I beat (so I had the highest SOS of the tourney!)

DC captain was amazing - the relic combo was great and literally won me games - as did the Shock/Fury first turn combo with DC (7 points for 1 CP, basically). 

Great tournament, strong players, and a solid showing from the BA!

10 hours ago, keeblerartillery said:

That’s fantastic mort! I was very interested in your breakdown - especially secondaries. How did the attack bikes and atv perform for you? Do you think ass marines would’ve worked as well/better?

The attack bikes and ATVs were stellar.  I was really, really really happy.  They were game changers in their ability to soak up overwatch, tank some firepower and move around screening or harrassing key units.  They even netted me Death from Above points.  I strongly noted the lack of Core on the ATVs, and it was missed -but they made up for this with the fact those two guys were 16 wounds.

I will probably move to 2x3 Attack Bikes in the future.  The ASM would have filled a different role, but I think would have been equally handy, just in a different way. 

I'm looking at dropping Mantra for Asty and picking up the +1 to wound from shooting.  The ability of a squad of three of those bikes rerolling all hits and then +1 to wound makes them really, really deadly for nasty units. 

I lose points with DFA on account of poor sequencing (attacking with the DFA unit first, instead of last in multi-prong attacks). Also, in an effort to save a character, I placed models in a unit out of engagement range, but lost those attacks, leaving a model on 1 wound, and losing 4 points because of it. I would have been worth losing the character, I think at that point. 

Side note, Astorath was a beast the whole tourney - I think he took out 3 or 4 Dogs by himself.