Emurians project log Praesagius/ Mortis / terrain.

Emurian

Yeah im really content with the work he provided so far. No complaints, dude is superchill and we talked about multiple stuff beforehand. I explained I knew nothing about the game, just read as much feedback as I could find from the community. I explained lore was important to me and have like 10K UM painted so thats why I wanted this Legio.

The batch 2 contains 3 Warlords, 1 Warbringer, 1 Warmaster, 1 FW Warhound, 2 Poly Knights, Reaver #5.

So I bought some more stuff then discussed here. But I did get all the weapons mentioned + the new wpn for a Reaver and Warlord.

There are some things I would like to ask here seeing as I got a lot of input last time =).

I've already talked about Terrain and Knights with him. 

Terrain: I asked his input but we seem to differ in opinion regarding terrain in some aspects. The main thing I pointed out that I do NOT want is that a model can be placed on the battlefield and it can just pick any target on the board. I want terrain that forces movement to reach firing lanes to use. (aka LOS blocking) He seems more of the opinion to keep the game casual.

Ive done some overal reading online that I could find online regarding terrain and knights. People seem to agree that Knights are viable and a threath but they need terrain or they are (to easily?) whiped from the board. AKA you need terrain for these guys to leapfrog from or their value overall drops?

So question 1: How many terrain pieces do you guys tend to play with on the board? I tend to see 10 medium/big objects placed on most tables (looking at online battle rep boards and ppl showing their games) 

I should have 7 boxes incoming of AT Civitas and have 3 lying around here to play around with like Lego without glueing stuff to see how much it costs to make X or Y that I see online. I like Mandragola his large buildings, the big appartments with balconies and curved sides for example a lot because they do not look ''lego'' and seem very practical in my eyes (mind you I look at the terrain from a 40k / Mordheim perspective as im a scrub with this game) 

I also poked my regular 3d printer to print out Canyon Rocks at a 6'' scale height more or less. I want to have 2 different type of boards. (Already fixed an Urban and Mars pattern battle mat) The only alternative 3d provider I like is some specific stuff from Grim Dark terrain. Ive mainly looked at their German licensed https://www.megasonicpunch.com/. The + thing is that I have already bought a pretty decent size Wall of Myttilene from Goldiesprint before he went down for my Epic project. So some other things I am considering to pickup are: Argos Flak bunker, Argos Comm bunker, Ol. Promethium Generator,

Im also sure that I can speedpaint the Canyon terrain within 2 weeks if I really want to. Let the commision painter first take care of the Knights and then let him finish terrain pieces for me. My mind is also twitching with the idea to use some of the Necromunda Pr. tanks refuel station for the Mars board.

Question 2: Regarding knights, is it worth it to try and make a pure household, or is my money better spend in getting the right filler knights for my Legio lists and move on to a 2nd Legio? 

Like I don't mind that it costs money, but it should be fun to actually play versus or with the Knights. I have 6 Cerastus knights from the starter boxes already and fixed the Prophyrion. (Read online though a lot of people hate them and agree to just not play with it *shrug* I wanna see that cheese ;)) 

Thx in advance.

Edited by Emurian

As with most things (apart from the correct weapons load out for Warhounds! :wink:) there isn’t a simple answer for a “good” level of terrain. Emptier boards will favour forces with longer ranged weapons, denser boards will favour short range brawlers and melee (assuming there’s enough clear space to actually get a charge in). There’s probably a sweet spot in between if you’re looking for the “perfect” table, but I’d genuinely say the beat terrain set up is the one that’s doing something different from your last game. Especially at events I think it’s important there’s a range of styles of board, but if you’re looking at your own collection for playing games at home, unless you’re planning to fill three boards simultaneously I think it sounds like you have plenty.

I would definitely suggest building one or two buildings tall enough to block line of sight from a Warlord’s carapace weapons, but I wouldn’t go much more than that. Have a spread of scenery that can completely obscure a range of different models. Some buildings that just cover Questoris, some that just cover Warhounds and below and so on.

As for the knights, I’ve been building my loyalist force to have at least one of every option, so I kinda ended up with enough Knights for a Household force almost by accident. I just converted a High King and a standard bearer and job done! I’ve only played with them a couple of times, but both were fun interesting games. But I have to say, I play Titan battlegroups with Knight support the vast majority of the time. It’s nice to have some variety, but Titans are what the game is all about to me. If you’re curious, sure, why not! But going back to my previous comment, if you play a Knight Household on a really densely packed board you will murder any more traditional Titan forces and it won’t be fun for your opponent. Conversely, play it on an open board against anyone with high strength templates, especially Quake, and *you* won’t have fun.

There's no such thing as too much terrain when you can destroy it in game if you need space :D

I have plenty of gaming pictures in my AT blog for inspiration, do have a look. Generally it promotes more interesting games when there is a healthy mix of terrain sizes on the field and leapfrogging from cover to cover is possible for faster units. Bigger engines should also enjoy occasional full coverage, so at least one piece that's bigger than a Warlord ought to be there unless specifically desired.

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I posted so here's an update. I started working on some spare models that I have left. (2 reavers 1 hound 4 knights)

I ran some games with a mate of mine and he was sold on the game after turn 2 (mistakes were made in hindsight but we both have fun.

He's going for Infector while I said I'll focus on terrain and a Warlord to open up more playstyle options. Im w8ing for more boxes to arrive to push out a 2nd warlord. For my 2nd legio (mortis) I bought in to 2 WL 4 Reavers 5 WH and 4 knights. My main forthcoming concern is that my display case will burst out so il need to make some more storage shelves on another room. 

Im also w8ing for this 3d printed Notre Dame replica to finish and being shipped. I wanted one big centrepiece for my urban tables so I thought why not use a real cathedral?

PXL_20230217_084954909.jpg

PXL_20230217_084928475.jpg

PXL_20230312_074556458.jpg

PXL_20230312_074723113.jpg

PXL_20230312_074615556.jpg

PXL_20230312_115955588.jpg

received_126444230162460.jpg

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-notre-dame-de-paris-cathedral-91899#google_vignette

This should be the link he scaled it accordingly.

He send an update today that the printing is done. I'm looking forward tackling this piece. I think it will look dope as a centrepiece in my display case.

received_6322985987752103.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Warlord #2 with some options. Rlly liked painting this kit. Most likely will pickup the cathedral next or aim for a squadron of warhounds.

Commission painter gave a heads-up that he's gonna push through the 2nd batch in the short term so I'm trying to get things rdy to convert more mates in playing the game. (One alrdy bought in, aiming for 2 specific ones that are sitting on the fence atm)

I ordered a psi titan and 2nd warbringer for batch 3. (Will mostly be knights) anyone here that can point out if I need to stockpile on some FW warlord weapons for the psi titan?

PXL_20230327_092432970.jpg

PXL_20230327_092419176.jpg

PXL_20230327_092310858.jpg

PXL_20230324_181302694.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

PXL_20230409_032509865.jpg

PXL_20230409_032315412.jpg

PXL_20230409_032259662.jpg

PXL_20230409_032248229.jpg

PXL_20230409_032235282.jpg

Overall wasn't to hard to paint just a lot of dry brushing overall. I made the Cathedral in 2 sections as I foresee ppl want to blow it up if it's in the centre of the board.

I have some old epic ruin pieces left. I'm tinkering with the idea of making a ruined version of the building later on.

Not sure what I'll do next tbh. Most likely pickup a model, then get burned out on painting gold rims and go back to some scenery.

Edited by Emurian

• 3 weeks later...