Unit Of the week: Chaos Terminator squad

Cpt.Danjou

+++Unit of the week+++

CSM.jpg.a1934391d45672b1c98aa54c68e67db0.jpg

Chaos terminator squad

This thread is only for tactics for Chaos terminator squads, not for pictures, there are other places for that.

How to best use Chaos terminator squads?

• Wargear?
  • Legion?
  • Marks?
  • Which stratagems are worth throwing out?
  • Any solid unit combos?

I have always loved terminators, so if I play games above 1k I always try to bring them. Black rune, a couple of power fists and a combi-melta or two. I usually walk them and seldom warpstrike them, this is something that is stuck in my brain as I played Dg so much and blightlord terminators are great for slowly shuffle over the field. And when they walk they can bodyguard a character or two. If I warpstrike them I try to do it mid-field, so I take control of it..

Cpt.Danjou

The Mark is mainly about ways to buff them further via spell and prayer. Tzeentch offers 6+++ and 4++, slaanesh 5+++ and adv+charge, nurgle +1 T and -1 to Hit. Here khorne losses out with only all wantons. Then there are stratagems to consider. 

Slaanesh is the only buff that helps with mortals, but WB may solve that one.

Terminators often end up being my MVP, as they are a potent unit. I too enjoy loading them up with flamers. It means -1 to hit for enemy targets is useless, and combined with Veterans of the Long War, can deal some damage to anything.

Slaanesh is my preference. Sadly, Khorne isn’t very appealing to me ruleswise in this codex. Just not impressive anywhere, IMO, whereas Slaanesh has benefits no matter what.

I will also add that terminators having bolters and flamers is what makes me feel more comfortable giving my legionaries pistols and chainswords. 

They always get 4 shots. Other than bikers, they are the best boltgunners around. With Word Bearers in particular, exploding hits on 4+ instead of 6+ due to the strat while in wanton massacre can be super useful when shooting units on an objective.

Then there’s also the Fury of the Chosen strat or whatever it’s called to provide +1 to hit. This can potentially mitigate power/chainfist negative modifiers and give BS2+ for crucial melta or plasma rolls. Very nice arrow to have in the quiver.

I ran 20 terminators in one game, and it was just too much for my opponent. I loved it because terminators are probably my favorite unit in the codex. I won’t be doing that again, as this particular opponent struggles with 3 wound models, 2+ save and AoC PLUS the black rune are just great. In a tournament I wouldn’t care, but these are friendly games.

Edited by Khornestar

• Dark Apostle: Mark of Slaanesh & Prayers to the Dark Gods: Dark Zealotry, Blissful Devotion & Illusory Supplication.
  • Master of Possession: Gift of Chaos (Liber Hereticus), Mark of Slaanesh, Psychic Powers: Delightful Agonies, Mutated Invigoration & Pact of Flesh.
  • 10 Chaos Terminators: Mark of Slaanesh & Terminator Champion W/Trophies of the Long War (Black Rune of Damnation).

To quote Mando from Star Wars - "This is the way".

Add powerfists/chainfists in for taste/depending on Legion. For Iron Warriors the Bastion Warlord trait on the Dark Apostle works really well, as you can give the unit objective secure. It is an anvil unit that walks up the middle of the board/a flank as a walking delivery mechanism for some characters. 

I think there is some play in more MSU builds as well. The CSM Terminator is reasonably costed compared to their Space marine cousins and the above setup is quite points/CP intensive. 

Best of all - the updated Terminator models I love, such an iconic unit so any excuse to take them! 

Edited by Relic

They are my unit of choice. I find it hard not to have a squad with as many as I can in a list no matter which legion I choose to use. Black rune and an Apostle both with MOS are my default. I just use one or two havocs and a pair of chainfists as weapon upgrades. Their job is to go up the center and pour on the bolter fire. I support with either a master of possession or a marine squad with the book with delightful agonies depending on the points. Nothing new or original there though, I think everyone had the same idea when the codex came out. I am currently playing in a league and am running a meme list of terminators with the specific purpose of having them as hard to kill as possible. They have not died completely yet although they came close last game vs black templars when my Book guy PoW'd right before a thunderhammer unit charged them.

You certainly cannot use them like we used to. In my IW army I had three 5 man squads I would regularly use, a dakka, a plasma, and a metla squad, each with a predefined role which should be obvious. Now with those options gone, they are a boring anvil unit thats simply hard to kill and pours out flamer and bolter fire. 

On 9/22/2022 at 2:41 PM, Verbal Underbelly said:

Slaanesh is excellent on terminators in EC. I think there's some value in keeping them cheap with basic load out, although the Black Rune feels like an auto include ay?

Has anyone here used 10 in one squad? How did they perform?

Strongly disagree!  Meltas are a terrific choice for slaanesh especially.  Access to Murderous Perfection is very good damage output and Wanton Massacre makes melta overwatch very threatening.  

On 9/25/2022 at 6:29 PM, TempestBlade said:

So do people like the accursed weapons or power fist more? Running them as WB so go with the PF with full rerolls when they charge in or do you go with +1 attack with the accursed weapon? 

I want as many fists and meltas as possible since I am committed to having a 10 man brick.  It better threaten as many targets as possible.  My guys are black legion so wargear has more value with hitting on 2s and rerolling everything.