Rules of thumb for list building

SlickSamos

As per the title, do you have any rules of thumb when list building?  From skimming forums there seems to be a number of either new or returning players (my self included!) and I know that I would appreciate some guidance about how many line units or anti-tank units I should be bringing in a 2k force, and suspect it would also help others too!

So, do you have any rough rules that you follow for how many of each type of unit (e.g. Anti-Tank or Line) you run per 500 or 1000 points - or do you always build with a certain number of each type of unit no matter the point level?  

Thanks in advance,

Slick Samos

First of all, my experience differs from others. My crew is like 90% all brand new. 

First and foremost I would recommend getting a feel for your meta and expectations of how you all want to play your games.

A large majority of my field is heavily infantry influenced with Rhinos and a few mid sized tanks. I.e. Sicarans or predators with Spartans and Kratos mixed in from the AoD box.

Then is people are fielding Pride of the Legion, Legion specific, or other  options etc.

2-3 line troops at 1500, 3-4 @2,000+ (this also depends on your your missions etc. Events lean more objective and progressive scoring heavy.)

Then it depends on how fluffy you want your army to be versus head canon. 

Example may be jump pack oriented armies, Blood Angels, Night Lords, Raven Guard may want to field more assault marines than tacticals. 

I truly believe that you can never go wrong with the following core set up:

1 Assault Marine Squad

2 Legion tactical squads/Despoiler Squads

1-2 Recon Squads if you don't have infiltrators to spread/counter other infiltrators.

Apothecaries as solid of a staple in your army as rhinos. Apothecaries give your line despoilers and tacticals a 4+++ on objectives, while Rhinos block lanes, are excellent mobile cover boxes to ignore overwatch with/reduce the number of shots taken from over watch.

The last staple unit that I feel is a permanent member of almost every list is a Master of Signals. Less than 100 points and offers some of the best buffs that can be given for any army, it makes even melee heavy armies have one solid infantry fire base.

I approach list building as a problem solving exercise:

• How do I make my troops meaningful?
  • What will deal with contemptors?
  • Which unit will deal with enemy armor?
  • Which other unit will deal with deathstars?
  • If there are fliers, which unit(s) can deal with them?
  • If I'm facing down lots of snipers, how will I deal with them?

Not every list will have answers to all those things and you can deliberately accept being weak somewhere in order to be stronger somewhere else... but the overall thought exercise is the same for me. It also helps for when I play as I know which units I want to use ahead of time to counter my opponent.

A few other things that were brought to my mind:

• Build around at least 3 line units (troops, command or whatever they might be)
  • Stick to the theme of the army rather than having a mix of good units
    • Selecting a rite of war helps greatly
  • Contemptors are hard to leave out

Ideally make sure you can consistently kill a Spartan a turn is a solid benchmark for Anti tank, especially now they are vastly cheaper they are going to be dropping problems in your lap if you ignore them. That firepower would equally frag a few smaller tanks or a Lord of war in a pinch too. Try not to concentrate it too much! 

Generally,  I break the board into 3 zones: deployment zone, mid field and enemy deployment. Each zone gets 'attackers' and 'holders'. 

Attackers actively pursue the enemy, while holders generally stay put on a zone/objective while still participating in the battle.

For example: I see Recon with Nemesis bolters as holders for the deployment zone.  They have Line, so they can hold objectives in my deployment while still contributing with snipe. Assault squads are attackers for the enemy deployment. They can get far up field and their load out is made to bring the fight to the enemy

I like 3-4 line units + 1 Plasma Tactical Support Squad as a core, then add other things like tanks. I think at least 1 apothecary, but probably 2, is a great buy for your Tacticals who will be on objectives, and a HSS with Lascannons or Missile launchers (if you can't afford Lascannons), are great for a back of the board fire base that is good shooting at almost everything.

This has been really helpful - thanks all, I hope others have found it useful as well.

I'll be aiming for at least 4 line at 2k (one command squad, 2 tactical squad and 1 assault squad) and I'll use the 'do I have a reasonable chance of taking out a Spartan?' benchmark for my anti-tank.

I think I'll end up forfeiting anti-air for the moment - unless they let the Sicaran take the HTA upgrade or release a Hydra equivalent on Rhino chassis model (hehehe).

Again, thanks for the advice, it looks like my initial 2k looks viable.

Slick Samos

I'd say have redundancies too, if you only have the one unit dedicated to AT and that goes *pop* you're in for a bad time. In my SoH list I'm building I have a dual las Contemptor for AT and AA, then have a Sicaran with las for backup.