Space Marine Painter issues

pawl

Okay, here we go:

Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Firefox Web browser (v105.2.0)

All actions result in a broken image when it reloads. A page refresh loads the blank image again, as expected.

Video (I forgot to turn on 'show touches', sorry!):

https://i.imgur.com/oyJbIiv.mp4

Edit: tested in Chrome, same results.

Edited by pawl

On 10/8/2022 at 12:32 PM, pawl said:

Okay, here we go:

Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Firefox Web browser (v105.2.0)

All actions result in a broken image when it reloads. A page refresh loads the blank image again, as expected.

Video (I forgot to turn on 'show touches', sorry!):

https://i.imgur.com/oyJbIiv.mp4

Edit: tested in Chrome, same results.

All tests done on mobile or desktop?

Can you give me some precise reproduce-steps ?

I need to be able to reproduce the bug in order to fix it.  How can I reproduce the bug.

Thanks.

On 10/12/2022 at 5:00 PM, sibomots said:

All tests done on mobile or desktop?

Can you give me some precise reproduce-steps ?

I need to be able to reproduce the bug in order to fix it.  How can I reproduce the bug.

Thanks.

Apologies, I didn't get a notification for the quote!

All done on mobile - I'll take a better video later that shows more clearly what happens. My own fault for not turning on 'show touches', sorry!

6 hours ago, pawl said:

Apologies, I didn't get a notification for the quote!

All done on mobile - I'll take a better video later that shows more clearly what happens. My own fault for not turning on 'show touches', sorry!

Can you just write words?   No need for a video.  Make a list of steps.

6 hours ago, sibomots said:

Can you just write words?   No need for a video.  Make a list of steps.

I replied to this earlier, second time today I've had a post disappear?!

Nice and easy in that case.

Open on mobile.

Try and do anything that changes the picture. Change the background, assign a colour to something etc.

As soon as the image goes to update itself it fails, leaving behind the alt text placeholder for a broken image.

I haven't tested it on my laptop because every time I've had it out I've forgotten, but it doesn't seem to like either Firefox or Chrome on my phone.

Bug Report ?

So let me try to re-state the steps, correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Make a post that includes an image (doesn't really matter what platform is used to make the post)
  2. Revisit the post on a mobile platform.
  3. Choose to edit the post
  4. (here's where it gets fuzzy: define "do anything with the picture" ) ?
  5. (define "change the background, assign a color, etc.."  -- you mean for text in the post? or the image?   Images don't have background per se, etc..  I assume you mean alter the style (color/etc.) for text in the post ?
  6. "As soon as the image goes to update itself" ?  What do you mean exactly?   This is difficult to understand.

If you can fill in the blanks that will help.  Where green, please elaborate.  I need to be able to reproduce the problem.

In the mean time let me help explain how images work on the site when put into posts:

Gory Details on Posting Images

The new site has changed the paradigm for how images and posts work.    When a new post is made, a side-bar of potential attachments to that post is created.

As you write your post the text goes into the editor.  But if you choose to "add an image" to the post it is done several ways:

• The natural way is to paste in the image from your host system clip-board.  Literally ctrl-v (or whatever your host system key-chord uses for "paste")That's the natural way.  We'll get back to that impact in a second.
  • The next method is to either use the "drag files to attach" or "choose files" -- that method means to obtain the image from your local host and paste it into the post (just as if you ctrl-v pasted the image).  More on that in a second.
  • The last "paste-like" option is to rely on previously uploaded images using the "Other Media" button.

The "Other Media" button gives you two choices --  to enter a URL to an image (highly discouraged!! and I'll explain why later)  OR to choose a file from an image you have successfully uploaded previously (as in your generic gallery).

In any case except "Other Media", when you "paste" or "drag to attach" or "choose file"  one simple thing happens:

The image is literally appended to a side-bar of attachments that are associated WITH THE POST in the editor.    The "pasted", "dragged" or "chosen" attachment are not quite yet in your general purpose "Other Media" collection -- yet.

When you edit the post after adding the image as "dragged", "chosen", or "pasted" even if you delete the image FROM THE EDITOR, as long as the image is still in that side-bar of attachments, the image is still technically going to wind up in the post.  Below the editor window you will notice that after you "drag", "choose" or "paste" an attachment the thumbnails appear in the side-bar I'm referring to.  That side-bar is below the text window of the editor.   To "kill" the image from the post, you need to click on the (X) button on the upper right corner of the image within the side-bar to effectively make it impossible for the image to be participating in the post.  Deleting it from the post-text window is NOT enough.

Once the post is submitted, ALL images that were in that side-bar are still associated and participate with the post, but they are also available in the "Other Media" collection if you choose to use the image again.

Why do I suggest it a bad idea to add images based on a URL?  Because the web is a weak and fragile thing.  There is no guarantee that the URL you've used will be there next year, or even next week.   The impact for the BnC is a broken-image link for images once hosted on third party sites.   We allow it for convenience, but it's a terrible idea.  

I recommend users do not embed images into posts based on third party hosted URLs unless there is a high confidence that the URL will persist as long as BnC will persist.

My survival guide for the BnC editor is to expect it to behave similarly to a very richly featured smart editor.  It's not notepad.   It's more akin to Word in that sense.   Format is applied to content in the window but you don't see the mark-up, the editor does.   Unlike a plain text editor (notepad, vi, emacs, etc..)

Because of that (because it's semi-smart) the survival guide advice is "don't try to outsmart a 'smart' editor"    I get it, you know how to use the web and editors and you may even be techno-guru. Great.  But this web site has a CKEditor and this editor is freakishly annoying -- so I let go -- I let the editor do what it is going to do.

A lot of the issues we face have to do with the users who are on mobile (cell) platforms.   This is where things get really bad.   I cannot offer a lot of solace about the mobile platform problems -- mobile platforms are intrinsically difficult to deal with unless a lot of effort is made in the software to cope with the mobile experience.  This software surprises me a bit -- it has some features that are adapted to mobile very well, and some instances where it falls flat.  And, the Editor is the place that I think things fall down. 

I'm going to look into this and file a help ticket with IPS (the vendor who developed this site's software -- Invision Community) and ask the question -- "what are the editor options other than CK Editor?"  -- I'm expecting that the answer is none.  But I will ask anyway.

Any other questions, ping me, or post.   (prefer post so others can see the question).

And, please get back to me on the reproduce steps.  I want to try to resolve the bug as soon as I know what it is.

Used Opera app (v72.0.3767.68191) on Android 10. 

Just tried on my PC (Win10) with Opera, Chrome, Edge and IE and same issue was replicated

Steps as follows:

I clicked on the image and the colour selection pop-up appeared

I chose a colour and pressed select 

When I pressed select the image disappeared (replaced by a small icon with the words Space Marine Image next to it)

The same error occurred when I switch to a gridded background:

I clicked on the drop down box and the two options appeared in a pop-up

I changed the selection from Regular to Gridded

This caused the pop-up to disappear  but the image was replaced by a small icon with the words Space Marine Image next to it as described above

Felix, could you to let Sibomots know what operating system and browser you are using. Also Pawl when you switched to laptop what browser were you using?

Edited by SlickSamos
Added details from testing on PC

4 hours ago, SlickSamos said:

Used Opera app (v72.0.3767.68191) on Android 10. 

Just tried on my PC (Win10) with Opera, Chrome, Edge and IE and same issue was replicated

Steps as follows:

I clicked on the image and the colour selection pop-up appeared

I chose a colour and pressed select 

When I pressed select the image disappeared (replaced by a small icon with the words Space Marine Image next to it)

The same error occurred when I switch to a gridded background:

I clicked on the drop down box and the two options appeared in a pop-up

I changed the selection from Regular to Gridded

This caused the pop-up to disappear  but the image was replaced by a small icon with the words Space Marine Image next to it as described above

Felix, could you to let Sibomots know what operating system and browser you are using. Also Pawl when you switched to laptop what browser were you using?

As above in all browsers, and as shown in the video in the OP.

Firefox and Chrome on Android, Chrome on Windows 11

Used an iPad Pro with latest iOS software.  Switched between safari, google and ask Jeeves browsers with same result each time.

Also tried on a Dell PC running windows 11 (fully updated) with both google and edge.  Results were as described by @SlickSamos above regardless of device, software used.

Any other info required just ask.

It now works fine for Opera on Android.  Tested different colours (including using the drop down menu), was able to switch between gridded and not, was able to save and reload designs, the 'what paints do I need?' bit also worked!

The software for the painters is not fundamentally changed (or rather, there's no need to fundamentally change the code itself).

What is necessary is to update the way the software depends on PHP and underlying graphics libraries.   For instance the GD2 image library is converted to a simple PNG library paradigm.

The most complicated thing for me is simply to understand how each painter works.  I didn't use them so I have to sort of understand their expected behavior from reading the code.  

So while the code is not much of a problem, the main challenge I've had with them is to understand expected behavior.  I've got three painters working, I think.   In doing that I've realized some mistakes I made in the first painter conversion.   I see the pattern now.

The other challenge is that there is no way for me to run the old-painters off to the side.  That ship has sailed.  If I was smarter, I would have spent a lot of time with the old-painters in the legacy site.  My hubris got the better of me.

Software isn't a trouble.  I've professionally screwed around with software for 30+ years.  But this software (the painters) is fairly unique in how it was designed and setup.   I finally get the pattern of how the pieces fit.   Factor in my day job and it just takes time.

Thanks for the note.