Any juicy lore out of the codex?

Scribe

1 hour ago, Slave to Darkness said:

Is there any mention of how the Votann view 'Imperial' Squats or their thoughts on Squats turning to Chaos? 

From what I saw Imperial Squats are mercs, but they do belong to the Kin. It is alluded that the Kin fight alongside many forces or are present between some populations as traders of fighters if so befits their goal. 

There's no mention of Chaos Squats, of I can recall correctly. 

Spoiler

8 hours ago, phandaal said:
  Hide contents

The original "Votann" are strongly hinted to have been the Men of Gold.

Spoiler

I think this supports my suspicion that Squats are Men of Stone. Or at least descended from them.

Edited by SpaceDwalin

1 hour ago, Pacific81 said:

Hey guys for those who have read the fluff, whats the concept with how the Iron Kin work? Are they a mobile AI unit that just gets plugged into mechanical bodies? Or are they permanently 'installed' so to speak?

Permanently installed. Their mechanical bodies are all unique to each Ironkin and are repaired rather than replaced if they're damaged.

Couple of other interesting bits

Spoiler

There's reference to a group of Kinholds being eaten by the Tyranids as per the original squat story. However they also mention that the nids weren't interested in the Votann itself since it's mechanical. So it's still there and has been driven mad.

Spoiler

There's a galactic map that has a human enclave called New Catachan. No other details sadly.

2 hours ago, Doobles88 said:

Permanently installed. Their mechanical bodies are all unique to each Ironkin and are repaired rather than replaced if they're damaged.

They could probably be removed and put into a new body if need be. The codex mentions that an Ironkin can survive in suspended animation if their body is destroyed, so they must have the ability to go into a new one after that.

Guessing it would not be as simple as "plug and play" though. It would probably require some kind of specialized operation to build them a new compatible body.

• 3 weeks later...

As were talking lore here, I had a fun little project idea and had a look on the galactic core (map-wise).

Although it has been states in the codex, that the Rift screwed up their territories, looking at the maps it's probably 80% of their realm being lost to the Rift, if I'm not mistaking.

And even that what remains is surrounded by the Maelstrom, two cults of the Thousand Sons and other foes. No wonder, they're now leaving the core to conquer new worlds for themselves.

Wonder if we'll see some serious progression like the T'aus spheres of expansion (the several Damocles books) or if it'll take years until we'll the next step on Leagues lore if at all.

On 10/14/2022 at 1:23 PM, phandaal said:

They could probably be removed and put into a new body if need be. The codex mentions that an Ironkin can survive in suspended animation if their body is destroyed, so they must have the ability to go into a new one after that.

Guessing it would not be as simple as "plug and play" though. It would probably require some kind of specialized operation to build them a new compatible body.

Also while in suspended animation they give out a distress call so they can be reclaimed. So if they are taken the Kin can hunt down the perps.

Just read the codex (not going to be playing Votann anytime soon, if ever). Interesting read- I think GW did as good of a job bringing the Squats back and making them more than just "dwarves in space". Overall, it was a better section of lore and fluff than I had hoped, with some good twists and explanations. Looking forward to the first BL novel involving the Kin.

9 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Just read the codex (not going to be playing Votann anytime soon, if ever). Interesting read- I think GW did as good of a job bringing the Squats back and making them more than just "dwarves in space". Overall, it was a better section of lore and fluff than I had hoped, with some good twists and explanations. Looking forward to the first BL novel involving the Kin.

Yes I'm very keen to read a BL novel focused on the kin.  Hopefully sooner rather than later but I guess they might want the faction to bed in a bit first with players. 

17 hours ago, silverstu said:

Yes I'm very keen to read a BL novel focused on the kin.  Hopefully sooner rather than later but I guess they might want the faction to bed in a bit first with players. 

A decent novel would gain them a faster growth in their following imho.  Maybe BL doesn’t think they have a creative who can do the job? :devil:

6 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

A decent novel would gain them a faster growth in their following imho.  Maybe BL doesn’t think they have a creative who can do the job? :devil:

yeah the Kin needed bedded into the setting now and a novel would be perfect. They have some good writers who write dwarfs well - hopefully they announce something in the run up to Christmas. I do wonder how tricky it is to write something for a faction that is in development rather than in existence, but then again they seem to do it for AOS. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2022 at 11:42 PM, Kelborn said:

As were talking lore here, I had a fun little project idea and had a look on the galactic core (map-wise).

Although it has been states in the codex, that the Rift screwed up their territories, looking at the maps it's probably 80% of their realm being lost to the Rift, if I'm not mistaking.

And even that what remains is surrounded by the Maelstrom, two cults of the Thousand Sons and other foes. No wonder, they're now leaving the core to conquer new worlds for themselves.

Wonder if we'll see some serious progression like the T'aus spheres of expansion (the several Damocles books) or if it'll take years until we'll the next step on Leagues lore if at all.

To be devoured or corrupted by Chaos. That is the question many, MANY Votanners have to answer ASAP thanks to the Rift

At least they don't have to be Be'lakor's pawns like a certain Knight House

1 hour ago, Moonreaper666 said:

To be devoured or corrupted by Chaos. That is the question many, MANY Votanners have to answer ASAP thanks to the Rift

At least they don't have to be Be'lakor's pawns like a certain Knight House

Nah, it is not that much. Looking at the map in the codex, it is more like a bunch of warp storms popping up across their territory.

The codex specifically says that the Votann do not even consider the Great Rift to be a single phenomenon, but rather a collection of warp storms. They name the big storms like we name hurricanes.

3 hours ago, phandaal said:

Nah, it is not that much. Looking at the map in the codex, it is more like a bunch of warp storms popping up across their territory.

The codex specifically says that the Votann do not even consider the Great Rift to be a single phenomenon, but rather a collection of warp storms. They name the big storms like we name hurricanes.

What is the population and density of the Votann?

At least several Billions of them would have been sucked into the Warp, at the mercy of Chaos

8 hours ago, Moonreaper666 said:

What is the population and density of the Votann?

At least several Billions of them would have been sucked into the Warp, at the mercy of Chaos

Kelborn's post was based on looking at the galactic map, which presents the Great Rift as a single anomaly blanketing the entire galactic core. This is not the case, based on maps included in the Leagues of Votann codex.

The Leagues' problems are due more to what is coming out of the Rift's component warp storms, and the alien empires that were displaced by those storms. A relatively small amount of League territory has actually been lost to the Great Rift.

• 3 weeks later...

Intriguing.

Means that whoever befriends the Votann might have a chance of travelling through the core / stable routes in between the component warp storms.

The Votann, knowing the core best, might have those at hand while the storms in the rest of the galaxy are too dangerous to travel through.

Might add that to my fic idea....

Curious about your opinion:

Which would the the most likely imperial faction to get on diplomatic terms with the Votann?

Custodes perhaps if offering something from their vaults? Certainly not Mechanicus, at least at first.

Rogue Traders spring to mind as well as separate worlds close to their borders.

Yeah, the Votann are able to navigate because they use supercomputer Ironkin to plot short jumps through the warp rather than relying on something central like the Astronomicon.

Votann (the objects, not the dwarves) also emit a presence into the Warp that Votann (the dwarves) can use as reference points.

On 1/19/2023 at 7:07 PM, phandaal said:

Votann (the objects, not the dwarves) also emit a presence into the Warp that Votann (the dwarves) can use as reference points.

Do the Votann (the objects) attract Nids like the Astronomicon does? Might cause problems for the Space Dwarves. Might also explain why the Nids of old went and ate the Squats of old (if that's still, or ever was, canon)

Probably not. The Leagues' interaction with the Warp is tech-based, not psychic. Tyranids apparently have no interest in the Votann themselves.

There is a story in the codex about a Votann whose planet was consumed by Tyranids. The Tyranids just left the Votann sitting there completely untouched. The Votann subsequently went insane due to the Leagues feeding their dead into it during the invasion to protect them from the Tyranids.

The old "Tyranids ate them" thing is explained by some League worlds being consumed and the Imperium not really understanding that the Leagues are all part of a single overall "species."

My favorite bit of codex lore regarding Tyranids: apparently the Leagues will stalk and destroy Tyranid fleets passing through League territory and harvest their biomass.

Basically - you eat us, so we eat you right back!

• 2 weeks later...

Their oldest records are more like legends, but they are more or less certain that they came from Terra. They know they have a common origin with humanity, and they believe their ancestors were sent out as part of long-march fleets meant to colonize areas of the galaxy closer to the core. They have no desire to make this knowledge known to the Imperium.

It is heavily implied that the "Men of Gold" were involved in the creation of the Votann. At some point, probably the beginning of the Age of Strife, the ancestors of the Votann either fled or deliberately migrated into the galactic core, and whoever controlled their cloneskeins at the time made sure to harden their souls against the immaterium.

At that point, their legends become reliable records and they begin tracking their own history.