Archeotech 2 – Treasure Hunt (RPG IC)

Trokair

Varn:

"We got here first, stole Nuffink!" shouted Varn.

"We've fought Bandits, Storms and wildlife to get here." Varn spat on the ground.

He pointed at the Statue, "You can give us a hand getting this in the back of David. Then we can go Valk. Chop, chop!"

“Sure sure, a little bad weather and some critters, hardly anything to boast about.” He considers you for a moment longer.

“Didn’t you read the update from HQ, Bandits were just rumours, a disproven one at that. Ah, I know, the savage can’t read, next time ask one of the others to read it to you. Err, except maybe the runt of a ‘gryn in your team, he’d be just as bad at you.”

“Where is it anyway, be handy for the carrying the heavy stuff.” Just then Kazimir steps out from behind the side of the Goliath where he had been securing some gear. Seeing his demander Sergeant Rahul changes his mind.

“Would not want anything to break, this will needs some careful handling, Josiepth go help the more able of this lot to load up.”

The one who had tried to sneak a smoke break, came over to help you lift the stature into the rear hold of the Goliath Truck. You can tell from his expression that he knows the Sergeant only ordered him to help because of the failed attempt at a little break, and not out of any sense of being helpful.   

In the meantime Rahul strolls around the site, inspecting your handy work and the ruins you found.  

Ravia

"Varn, enough. Go check the site for any equipment that is left and finish loading the Goliath. Kasimir, continue loading our only find into the hold."

Her voice clipped and quietly emphatic, Ravia looked back at Rahul.

"You will take the statue on the Valkyrie and immediately depart to the Arch-Magos. We will mark the site for further exploration and then move out with the truck to meet the Expeditionary reinforcements." 

She attempted to mollify the situation. "If you deliver the find quickly, we will dismiss any issues that arose from our early encounter. This is more important to the Expedition and the Arch-Magos than future squabbling."

Aria

Waiting and watching nearby for Rahul to move aside, Aria considered the nature of the odd statue. It had not been tested and carried an odd sense of taint... yet the others seemed dismissive of it. It was not the warmness of radiation nor the subtle static of contained energy nor the cold emptiness of warp travel, but perhaps there was threat here undetected.

“Team Leader Phi-Ro, Someone who sees sense at last. Tell me, is it as tiring to herd such as these as it looks?.” He is all smiles, and before you can reply waves his own question aside.

“Josiepth, drive the Goliath round to the Valk one the loading is complete, I think I’ll walk back, streatch my legs a little, damn Valk seats are always the wrong side of unaffordable.”     

Focusing on Ravia once more, now the model solider addressing a perceived equal.

“I will deliver the find as ordered. You think the order came all the way from the Arch-Magos? Interesting.” He shrugs, and then looking slightly puzzled he continued. “Though I thought there was more than one artifact we were supposed to fly back.”

GM Note: In case it was not clear from his dialogue, Rahul does not know about the approaching unknown convoy nor about the bandits you encounter, and in regards to the latter all he has seen is the Expedition HQ  update (I think day 7) that denied the existence of any bandits. To him the Wolfquad would just look like equipment issued to the team.

I am out for a game of HH this evening, but once I am back I will progress this on.

Ariel nudged Varn along for a final check for any left equipment and the likes. She doubted there was any, they had been thorough when packing, and suspected Varn thought the same, but Ariel had seen Team Leader Ravia’s comment for what it really was, an attempt to deescalate whatever bad blood existed between the tribesman and this career soldier.

Kazimir and Josiepth had managed to load the statue into the back of the Goliath truck, and Helene was now securing it with straps so that it would not fall over during the drive to the Valkyrie.

“All loaded Sarge, heading back to the Valk” Josiepth called from Davids driver cabin as he started up the engine and set of southwards. You all had been focused on Rahul, that none of you had seen Josiepth follow the orders had had been give and climb into the Goliath Truck.

Sergeant Rahul acknowledges Josiepth and turns back to Ravia.

“Bandits and unknown convoys in the hinterland, your wildling has quite the imagination, at least he was good for something, providing an explanation. Kill them all.” The last three words were spoken into the commset of Rahul’s helmet.

Several more fighters, dressed and armed akin to Rahul and his to comrades, emerge out of the undergrowth and open fire.

Players Initiative please.

You all count as Surprised (so no action in round 1 (though you may dodge)). You may take a Challenging (+0) Awareness Test alongside your Initiative role. If you Pass then you do not count as Surprised. However if you fail the Awareness test by 5 or more DoF then you count as Surprised for the first two rounds.

Map will come shortly.

Round 1

Initiative 

Spoiler

Trooper with Grenade Launcher 10 + 3(Ag) = 13

Helene 9 + 3(Ag) = 12 Surprised

Josiepth 7 + 3(Ag) = 10

Varn = 9

Ravia = 8 Surprised

Kasimir 5 +2(Ag) +1 (Wary) = 8 Surprised

Rahul  5 +3(Ag) = 8

Aria = 6 Surprised

Troopers  3 + 3(Ag) = 6

Ariel 3 + 2(Ag) = 5  - Awareness Test, Per 33, D100: 57, Fail 2DoF Surprised

Map

Spoiler

A=Aria, H=Helene, I=Ariel, K=Kasimir, R=Ravia, V=Varn

Red R= Rahul, Red circle = Troopers (the one in David is Josiepth) Dar Red Circle = Trooper with Grenade launcher.  

image.thumb.png.f14754880bc88ca5a82c7e9c98df046a.png

You have seen enough of Rahul, Josiepth and the third Trooper that walked into camp that you can speculate that the rest are likewise equipped. They all have a full set of Light Carapace (5 AP all locations).

Trooper with Grenade Launcher

On the Sergeants order the thud of a grenade launcher could be heard to your south, moments later the sun arose a second dawn just north of the team casting everything in stark shadows. 

Spoiler

Standard Attack – Grenade Launcher – Photon Flash Grenade at Aria

BS: 35 + 10 (Short Range) = 45

D100: 66 Miss 2 DoF – Scatter d10:1 distance (1d5) D10/2: 9/2 = 4.5 round to 5m – lands in I1

Everybody within 15m take Toughness test or be blinded for 1d5 rounds

I makes this to be Varn, Ravia, Aria, Kasimr, Helene, Ariel, Rahul and Trooper in J4

Kazimir T44, D100: 40 – Fine

Helene T32, D100: 44 – Blind 1d5 rounds = D10/2: 1/2 =0.5 = 1 Round Blinded

Ariel:  T28, D100: 04 – Fine

Rahul and Trooper – Immune due to Photo-Visors

Helene – No action, Surprised and Blinded

Helene had been keeping a low profile since Rahul had arrived, last she had seen him he had been under the command of Eadwin, and she did not want to give the Sergeant any reason to draw the Overseers attention to her.  When David lurched forward as the Trooper started the engine she had been caught unaware and looked questioningly towards the others, just in time to see the flash take her sight for a moment, had sheen been closer it would have been disorientating.

Josiepth

Spoiler

Driver David - Tactical Manoeuvring

Ag: 30 D100: 52 – Fail 2 DoF

After the successfully starting the Goliath truck Josiepth was heading back to the Valk when he hid a patch of loose soil and almost came to a stop but managed to retain control of the vehicle.

Varn next, plus Toughness test for blind for Varn, Aria and Ravia

Edited by Trokair
unblinding Helene

Rahul

Bringing his Hellgun to bear Sergeant Rahul snapped of a single las pulse at Ravia as he advanced a few steps towards a better tactical position.

Spoiler

Half Action – Move into I4

Half Action single shot t Ravia

BS:33 +10 (Short range) = 43

D100: 28, Hit, 1 DoS – Location 82: Right Leg

Assuming no Dodge

Damage : 1d10 (6) + 4 = 10 at Pen 3

Troopers

With discipline the squad emerged from the position they had been working towards. Stealth abandoned and under orders they all opened fire, some taking time to aim while others let lose, intent only on keeping you all pinned.

Spoiler

Troopers in E3, J4, L5

SAB at various points to keep you pinned, not going to roll, just imagine a storm of Hellgun fire scorching the landscape if you try and move to far from your positions.

Troopers in E2, F5, K5

Half Action Aim, Half Action Shoot

BS: 35 + 10 (Short Range) + 10(Aim) = 55

At Varn (F5), D100: 96, Miss

At Ariel (E2), D100: 45, Hit, 1 DoS - Location 54: Body

Ariel  Dodge Ag:24 D100: 49, Fail Damage : 1d10 (3) + 4 = 7 at Pen 3

7 – 2 TB – 0 (3AV-3) = 5, 7 Wounds Remaining

At Aria (K5), D100: 22 Hit, 3 Dos - Location 22: Left Arm

Assuming no Dodge, Damage : 1d10 (5) + 4 = 9 at Pen 3

Trooper G6

Run into G5

End of Round 1 aside from Dodges

Edited by Trokair

Round Two

Initiative

Trooper with Grenade Launcher = 13

Helene = 12

Josiepth = 10

Varn = 9

Ravia =8

Kasimir = 8

Rahul  = 8

Aria = 6

Troopers = 6

Ariel = 5 

Map

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ca851181d052ef9cd2ae47eb593bcc10.png

Trooper with Grenade Launcher

The opening salvo delivered, the Trooper surveyed the enemy. Spotting the ‘gryn the Sergeant had warned them about he waited no time to rain a frag round upon the brute.

Spoiler

Aim and Standard Attack – Grenade Launcher – Frag grenade at Kazimir

BS: 35 + 10 (Aim) = 45

D100: 12, Hit, 3 DoS, Location – 21 – Left Arm

Kasimir Dodge, Ag23/2 (Basic) = 12, D100: 48 Fail

Damage 2d10 = 5+4 = 9 at Pen 0

9 –  4TB – 6AV = 0 Damage

I think Helene is just out of range of Blast 4

Helene

Run 18m southwards.

The initial confusion shaken off Helene took a deep breath and started up a Hymn, as lod as she could manage while running full pelt towards an ambusher, not heeding the recent fusillade of las pulses that had scorched the grass.

Josiepth

Spoiler

Driver David - Tactical Manoeuvring

Ag: 30 D100: 56 – Fail 2 DoF

With a screech and and howl the engine of the Goliath protested as Josiepth tried to power through the rough patch he had hit, but to no avail. The loosed earth sprayed up as the wheels spun out.  

Varn next

Varn:

So it was death!

Enraged he charged towards the trooper in His Ruin!

I found it, not you, you defiler.

The defiler must die, even if we both die as I am throttling his neck in the waters of the lake!

He ran towards The Other, up out of the grasses. He found purchase on the low wall and leapt forwards to grapple.

(

(Full Action) Charge to Grapple

WS 30 +10 (Charge) = 40. Result: 35, Pass

Trooper

Grapple Avidance

Ag: 30, D100: 36, Fail, 0 DoF – Varn has Grappled Trooper E2

---

???

A splash, a cry of alarm, quickly suppressed.

Blood in the water, blooming from the fresh deadman dressed in broken carapace, sinking in the shallows.

Trooper E3 is Dead

Ravia Next.

Edited by Trokair

Ravia

Burning from Rahul's shot, Ravia calculated the options. She swiftly moved to cover and sent a las shot at Rahul. Taking out the leader may make the minions more cautious.

Spoiler

Half Action - Move

Move to K3 and hunker behind the wall

Half Action - Single Shot through at Rahul

Target - 39 + 10 (red-dot) + 30 (close range) = 79

Roll - 43

Result = Hit, location Body

Damage - 10! (Righteous Fury roll -58, success) + 4 + 3 = 17, Pen 0

"Varn, shoot the driver!"

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Kasimir

Run 12m to K3

Taking his cue from the Fanatic, Kasimir broke into a run, battle cry on his lips. He was too far away to do much so his only option was to close in. Ahead of him he saw Ravia take cover behind a low wall, sensible precaution or necessity he could not quite tell.

Rahul 

Spoiler

Dodge: AG38 D100: 09, Pass, 2 DoS

Half Action – Move further south

Half Action single shot t Aria

BS:33 +10 (Short range) = 43

D100: 06, Hit, 3 DoS – Location 60: Body

Assuming no Dodge

Damage : 1d10 (4) + 4 = 8 at Pen 3

The Adept was cowering behind the wall, but was far from harmless, her return shot getting too close for comfort.

“Forward, finish them.” Rahul bellowed.

He did not have a good angle, the wall and his own man made it awkward, instead as he focused on the other scum that had come forward to greet them.

???

The flash of a las pulse illuminates the Goliath Driver Cabin.

Over the comms of the Trooper Varn is grappling he can just make Josiepth call to his comrades.

“Sarge, ther’s som…”

Josiepth is Seriously Wounded and unconscious.

Aria next

GM note. I assume @A.T. has been busy, the end of Damocles, certainly consumed some prime hobby time. So while I wait for him to catch up here is the rest of round two. That will take place after Aria’s action and I will modify the below as needed. I’ll prep beginning of round three shortly but will hold off until At has had chance to catch up.

Trooper E2

Spoiler

Attempt to break out of Grapple

S: 35, D100: 74, Fail, 3DoF

This is an opposed test, Varn please make a Strength test to maintain the grapple.       

The Trooper tries to disentangle himself long enough to draw the knife sheathed on his belt, twisting his torso to free an arm while searching for purchase with his feet to steady himself.  

Troopers F5

Spoiler

SAB at ???

D100: 52 – Mis

From his advantaged position behind the excavated wall the Trooper watched helplessly as his comrade was ambushed by something and dragged into the water. The taint of red water and the way the body just lay there in the shallows spoke of the other troopers fate.

He had seen but a blur of movvment out of the corner of his eye and let his Hellgun speak in vengeance, small steam clouds rising from where the las pulses hit the water.

Troopers K5 and G5

Spoiler

Run to K4 and I4 respectively

As ordered the Troopers advanced with hast relying on their comrades to keep them covered.

Trooper L5

Spoiler

SAB at Helene

BS:35 + 10(SAB) + 10 (Short Range) – 20 (Run)=35

D100: 02 – Hit, 3 DoS,  1 additional Hit  = 2 Hits

Helene Dodge, AG:35 / 2 (Basic) = 17.5 Round to 18, D100: 90, Fail

Hit 1 – Location: Right Arm, 1d10 (3) + 4 = 7 at Pen 3

Wounds:  7 – 3(TB) -0 (AV3 – 3) = 4 Wounds taken, 9 Left

Hit 2 - Location: Right Arm, 1d10 (2) + 4 = 6 at Pen 3

Wounds:  6 – 3(TB) -0 (AV3 – 3) = 3 Wounds taken, 6 Left, Heavily Wounded

The approaching Fanatic had been designated kill on sight, and the Trooper complied. Las pulses streaking across the intervening ground, slightly of center, but from the stumble he could tell he had scored some hits.    

Trooper J4

Spoiler

SAB at Kazimir

BS:35 + 10(SAB) + 10 (Short Range) – 20 (Run)=35

D100: 01 – Hit, 3 DoS,  1 additional Hit  = 2 Hits

Kasimir already Tried to Dodge this round, cannot Dodge again

Hit 1 – Location: Head, 1d10 (5) + 4 = 9 at Pen 3

Wounds:  9 – 4(TB) – 3 (AV6 – 3) = 2 Wounds taken, 10 Left

Hit 2 - Location: Head, 1d10 (2) + 4 = 6 at Pen 3

Wounds:  6 – 4(TB) – 3 (AV6 – 3)  = 0 Wounds taken, 10 Left

The explosion of the Frag grenade had made no apparent dent in the ‘gryn, and now it was coming towards him at speed. The Trooper held his ground and pulled the trigger with deadly accuracy. The Headshot would look good on his record, he might make sniper yet.

Ariel

Spoiler

Run F2 to get close enough to support Varn

With Varn trying to pin down on of the Trooper Ariel rushed forward to support.

Edited by Trokair
Correcting wound count

Aria

The beach was too exposed and even if they drove off the attackers it would do them little good without the comms gear on the transport should more come looking. But the driver seemed to be having difficulties, a last opportunity to catch up to it perhaps and Aria was swifter than most.

Full action run towards David to get onboard - 24m

23 minutes ago, Trokair said:

GM note. I assume @A.T. has been busy, the end of Damocles, certainly consumed some prime hobby time.

Sorry - I had just completely mis-read the initiative order and thought I was after the troopers, not before them