Word Bearers list for 1st 9th ed Tournament

Zeruel

Have a tournament coming up in December. Newer local store is running their first event. It's going to be a smaller points event, they have several newer players that got into the game over the pandemic. I've been playing 40k since 3rd but mostly skipped over 7th and most of 8th and have only been playing 9th regularly for a few months since I found this new group. I plan to play my CSM at the event and I'm just looking for some tips on list building. I'm not too concerned with it being ultra competitive, most of the players there are going to be pretty casual so I'm aiming for that sweet spot of strong but not exactly min/maxed. We've also been playing mostly just Tempest or War or normal Eternal War missions so I have almost no experience with Nephilim and secondaries so would love tips on what I should be picking there too. Anyway here's the list

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [65 PL, 3CP, 1,250pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [6CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Game Type: 4. Chapter Approved: War Zone Nephilim

Legion: Word Bearers

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 95pts]: Chaos Undivided, Illusory Supplication, Warlord
. 2x Dark Disciple: 2x Close combat weapon

Master of Possession [6 PL, 105pts]: Chaos Undivided, Mutated Invigoration, Pact of Flesh

+ Troops +

Cultists Mob [2 PL, 55pts]
. 8x Chaos Cultist w/ cultist firearm: 8x Cultist firearm, 8x Frag & Krak grenades
. Chaos Cultist w/ heavy stubber: Heavy stubber
. Cultist Champion
. . Autopistol and brutal assault weapon

Legionaries [7 PL, 145pts]: Chaos Icon, Mark of Tzeentch
. Aspiring Champion: Astartes chainsword, Boltgun
. Marine w/ balefire tome: Balefire tome, Prescience
. 2x Marine w/ boltgun: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Boltgun, 2x Frag & Krak grenades
. Marine w/ heavy weapon: Reaper chaincannon

Legionaries [7 PL, 130pts]: Chaos Icon, Mark of Khorne
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Power fist
. 3x Marine w/ astartes chainsword: 3x Astartes chainsword, 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
. Marine w/ heavy chainaxe: Heavy chainaxe

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminator Squad [10 PL, -1CP, 200pts]: Mark of Tzeentch
. Chaos Terminator: Power fist, Reaper autocannon
. Chaos Terminator: Accursed weapon, Combi-melta
. Chaos Terminator: Accursed weapon, Combi-melta
. Chaos Terminator: Accursed weapon, Combi-bolter
. Terminator Champion: Accursed weapon, Black Rune of Damnation, Combi-bolter, Trophies of the Long War

Helbrute [7 PL, 125pts]: Helbrute fist, Mark of Tzeentch, Multi-melta

Master of Executions [4 PL, -2CP, 65pts]: 1. Flames of Spite, Aspiring Lord, Chaos Undivided, Stratagem: Relic, Ul'o'cca, the Black

Possessed [7 PL, 140pts]: Possessed Champion
. 4x Possessed: 4x Hideous mutations

+ Fast Attack +

Venomcrawler [6 PL, 105pts]

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 85pts]: Havoc launcher

++ Total: [65 PL, 3CP, 1,250pts] ++

This looks like a fun, fluffy list with plenty of units that pack a melee punch but you also have enough support units to do actions/nab objectives.

I only have 1 minor suggestion: consider tossing a chainfist and some more powerfists onto your termies. For some reason, accursed weapons do good work for me on squads of 8 to 10 Chosen. But on my 5-man termie squads they were kind of lackluster. I guess my Chosen's larger squad size really helps the accursed weapons. So I upped the number of powerfists on my termies and now they are more fun to use.

Have fun at the tournament and tell us how you did.

What other models do you have access to? I really think that you could make a better list for 1250 points, for example:

• Demon Prince (Mark of Slaanesh, Wings, Helforged Sword, Prescience, Delightful Agonies, Intoxicating Elixir) =180 (2cp/ Gifts of Chaos: Intoxicating Elixir, Aspiring Lord: WL: Diabolist)
  • Master of Possesion (Mark of Slaanesh, WL: Master of the Union; Pact of Flesh, Mutated Invigoration, Delightful Agonies) =120 (1cp/ Aspiring Lord: WL: Master of the Union)
  • Dark Apostle (Soultearer Portent, Illusory Suplication) =95 (1cp/ Gifts of Chaos: Epistle of Lorgar)
  • 10 Chosen (Mark of Slaanesh, Icon, 2 Power Fists, 2 bolters swapped for accursed weapon) =270
  • 10 Possesed =280 (1cp/ Trophies of the Long War: Black Rune of Damnation)
  • 5 CSM (5 Chainswords) =90
  • 5 CSM (5 Chainswords) =90
  • 10 Cultists (Autoguns) =50
  • 10 Cultists (Autoguns) =50
  • 1 Chaos Spawn =25

edited out some spelling mistakes and equipment

Edited by Dhar'Neth