Elite of the Imperial Army: Solar Auxilia Tactica

The Scorpion

If only GW wold deNerf the template weapons. I will say I'd love a few Incinerator turrets in plastic. They just look cool. That being said I can't decide if I like the Sentinels.  I love Sentinels in general but these are clunky, might just be the GW paintjob but it's not selling itself to me. 

Yeah, we've had plenty of discussion about that, but in the end, i think changing the battlecannon to 5" and buffing the Demolisher up to AP2 would do it, without "breaking the game".

As it is, almost nobody is using the battlecannon with its AP4 3" blast over the far superior Vanquisher Cannon. Giving it a 5" might change that, even without the ability to bypass ServoArmor.

And maybe i'm alone with my opinion, but i am not willing to use a 3" Demolisher-Cannon, that is not even able to destroy a rhino, over a 5" Rending 4+ Plasma-Blast.

...let alone paying 50pts for it to loose 10 Seats and a Gravis Las on a Dracosan... :dry:

5" Str. 10 AP2  Spam was bad, i get that, but was changing it to 3" ap3 really necessary?

On 1/21/2024 at 7:37 AM, Brother Sutek said:

If only GW wold deNerf the template weapons. I will say I'd love a few Incinerator turrets in plastic. They just look cool. That being said I can't decide if I like the Sentinels.  I love Sentinels in general but these are clunky, might just be the GW paintjob but it's not selling itself to me. 

I'm waiting for the light Sentinels.

Heavy sentinels will probably be saved for Zone Mortalis affairs.

21 hours ago, The Scorpion said:

I'm waiting for the light Sentinels.

Heavy sentinels will probably be saved for Zone Mortalis affairs.

I'm really interested in the Heavy's rules, if LI is any kind of indication, the rocketlauncher might work somewhat like the rapier, which i would dig. ^^

a swarm of them, reasonably priced, with multiple 5" shred blasts and maybe an autocannon for light AT, prefferably in the Fast Attack section would be nice indeed =]

On 1/22/2024 at 4:24 AM, MichaelCarmine said:

5" Str. 10 AP2  Spam was bad, i get that, but was changing it to 3" ap3 really necessary?

I don't necessarily agree that it was bad as the Solar Auxilia needed the punch due to the rest of their army getting little to no saves versus marines. Yes that spam gets annoying with a marine list behind it but in this edition we tend to see a great deal of lascannon so how rough would it really be? Dracosan are rough points wise and real world cost wise, I'd like some better value for my investment.  

5 hours ago, Brother Sutek said:

I don't necessarily agree that it was bad as the Solar Auxilia needed the punch due to the rest of their army getting little to no saves versus marines. Yes that spam gets annoying with a marine list behind it but in this edition we tend to see a great deal of lascannon so how rough would it really be? Dracosan are rough points wise and real world cost wise, I'd like some better value for my investment.  

Well, it was one of, if not the most powerful Weapons in the game! 

It had the highest possible str. before destroyer weapons, irgnored every armorsave and instakilled anything up to t5 without EW, so Sigismund and valdor/custodes captains i think? 

And we had them together with AP3 5" battlecannons, heavy 3 - 3" AP2 Executioners, Medusas, Basilisks, Plasma Fussils, Lightnings with Kraken/Sunfury/phosphex, Veletaris axes, Charonite Ogryns and not to forget, the Malcador Infernus SuperHeavy, which had ap3/ap2 hellstorm and was a HS choice, not a Lord of War like it is today...

And the Dracosan was priced at 165pts with the demolisher cannon! =]

So combined with that, i'd say it was pretty bad ^^

I regularly faced walls of dracosans/leman russes, lightnings and the occasional Malcador infernus when i played against them.

I agree with @MichaelCarmine and @Slips blast spam that went all the way was insane in 7th/late 1st heresy. But the totality of the nerfs went way too far, and the best solution was just to revert the terrain and then tweak some points/other rules. That way the people who owned these models don't feel like they're useless, and their opponents can feel like they're playing around them and are good at the game by disarming the Medusas with good tactics. 

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

And that's my point having the unit/weapon be so nerfed that now we only see one type of cannon in general.  It's one of many reasons I disliked 8th edition 40k, I played IG for 15 at the time and was a huge infantry man with some artillery to support. They removed platoons and allowed you to spam units with no balance. So we saw wave after wave of nerfs that still didn't address the problem that not having the platoon structure solved. I want to see a proper mix but still have a few strong vehicles but not a leaf blower list.

• 1 month later...

Greetings!

I'm about to get the new SA Battlebox, and I'm planning a relatively small allied detachment to my Sons of Horus army. What additions would you recommend for me to get? As my SoH army has not so many tanks my main goal would be an armoured fist, but I also like the new light walkers. Any suggestions, how to build up the force of the 'meatshields'? 

On 3/3/2024 at 6:22 PM, TheDreadfulSagittary said:

Greetings!

I'm about to get the new SA Battlebox, and I'm planning a relatively small allied detachment to my Sons of Horus army. What additions would you recommend for me to get? As my SoH army has not so many tanks my main goal would be an armoured fist, but I also like the new light walkers. Any suggestions, how to build up the force of the 'meatshields'? 

Vanquishers for anti tank and carnodons for ani infantry 

To be blunt solar aux are pretty terrible and I say that as someone who has a lot of resin and just bought three of the plastic boxes to expand 

On 3/8/2024 at 12:16 AM, Mr Farson said:

Vanquishers for anti tank and carnodons for ani infantry 

To be blunt solar aux are pretty terrible and I say that as someone who has a lot of resin and just bought three of the plastic boxes to expand 

Thanks... I guess :wink:

I didn't want to go big with the guard, I mean Solar Auxilia, but still to have a small fighting force with my SoH. Adding some more Russes seems viable. As I didn't have the book for them (yet), is it possible to give them a command Leman Russ?

I also really like the little chicken riders, will definitely give them a try.

On 3/10/2024 at 10:08 AM, TheDreadfulSagittary said:

Thanks... I guess :wink:

I didn't want to go big with the guard, I mean Solar Auxilia, but still to have a small fighting force with my SoH. Adding some more Russes seems viable. As I didn't have the book for them (yet), is it possible to give them a command Leman Russ?

I also really like the little chicken riders, will definitely give them a try.

sorta, If your thinking a command tank like in 40k Guard then it isn't a thing, while there is a command tank section its very expensive to use it as a buff platform as you'll be paying 80 more points over adding a an additional tank with vanquisher cannon to take it with a congnis signum, but like all things with a congnis you can't shoot if you use it, as such unless you are already taking a full strength squadron you'll be better off just adding another russ most of the time.

sorry if this doesn't make sense, English isn't my strong suit.

Edited by SgtSharp

5 hours ago, SgtSharp said:

sorta, If your thinking a command tank like in 40k Guard then it isn't a thing, while there is a command tank section its very expensive to use it as a buff platform as you'll be paying 80 more points over adding a an additional tank with vanquisher cannon to take it with a congnis signum, but like all things with a congnis you can't shoot if you use it, as such unless you are already taking a full strength squadron you'll be better off just adding another russ most of the time.

sorry if this doesn't make sense, English isn't my strong suit.

The interesting thing about the command tank is it joins the existing unit - because of how squadrons work with wound allocation you can use the commander with the flare shield positioned right to soak up all the incoming fire 

On 3/12/2024 at 12:44 AM, Kain Mor said:

The interesting thing about the command tank is it joins the existing unit - because of how squadrons work with wound allocation you can use the commander with the flare shield positioned right to soak up all the incoming fire 

while I would definately recomend at least concidering it in a pure Sol Aux army, as an ally detachment it becomes very costly, the extra at least 225 pts (245 with congnis) could be spent elsewhere, giving more target saturation, rather than making the unit an even more tempting target, paticularly as a 35pt rhino can render the Flare shield tank out of LoS and thus not able to absorb the shots.

• 2 weeks later...