Heresy Thursday - Iron Hands Upgrades

Cyrox

57 minutes ago, fire golem said:

Id rather they not waste a weeks preview with a handful of rules from the new book when reviews of the new book have been all over the place since Saturday anyway. 

I like these. I think I’d sprinkle them around rather than a whole squad but they’re cool, especially the Sergeant ones. 

Sure but there are also several units that will have / needs new kits that I’d hoped might finally get a preview 

1 hour ago, Lord Marshal said:

Techmarine heads for your tech-marines.

I think these would look good sprinkled in, but a whole squad kitted out with them? Nah. The MKIII heads still win for me, recognisably the same mark but each personalised and unique whereas these are a bit too uniform by comparison. 

I agree with this in general for most legions. As cool as some of the torsos were in the past, and (some) of the helmets, going overboard with a whole army with these upgrade kits can go too far and actually lose individuality in the army. Sprinkling them in, I would argue, gives more character, allowing models to stand out and add a lot of variety to the force. Only thing I would consider spamming is shoulder pads.

That's what I did with my salamanders with torsos and drakescale cloaks. 2/3 of my force are fairly generic, while a third have torso, cloak, helmet, or mix of 2 or all three of them.

I like that they’ve given the heads a “tech” look whilst still clearly looking like MKVI helms.  They’d make great conversion parts for a Techmarine. The bare head fits in perfectly with the Iron Hands too and it’s nice to see the extra effort being put into the shoulder pads.

10 minutes ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Even if I can’t shake the impression that the front view seems eerily rodent-like on my mobile. Which immediately opens another can of worms..:cool:

Missing XIth Legion Primarch Fromage Manus Pattern. He was a big cheese back in the day, until he fell into the trap of chaos worship.

36 minutes ago, tinpact said:

Oh hey, called it. And they're pretty good to boot. So, I guess we can expect whichever legion comes up MTO to be the next upgrade set?

They've been roughly ordered by Legion number, so I'd expect to see Ultramarines/Thousand Sons next, as we've already seen Death Guard.

Barehead looks like he is doomed to perpetually look mid-Poggers...

Other than that? A pretty damned good showing for the poor IHs! Shoulder trim and head crest especially have some real flavor!

So now we only have 3 traitors and 3 loyalists left! 

Somewhat concerned about the fact that a number of the remaining ones have some animal motifs given the split so far... I am somewhat terrified of the UM just having golden eagle heads or the Sally helmets being literal dragon heads. 

6 hours ago, StrangerOrders said:

So now we only have 3 traitors and 3 loyalists left! 

Somewhat concerned about the fact that a number of the remaining ones have some animal motifs given the split so far... I am somewhat terrified of the UM just having golden eagle heads or the Sally helmets being literal dragon heads. 

Should be fun, should expect a real gem and a real meme out to come out of the final bunch.
Genuinely curious how they'll do the Ravenguard helmets (do they get hammed up the most to make them stand out as standard beakies was already their thing)

13 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

Techmarine heads for your tech-marines.

I think these would look good sprinkled in, but a whole squad kitted out with them? Nah. The MKIII heads still win for me, recognisably the same mark but each personalised and unique whereas these are a bit too uniform by comparison. 

Also the bare head's anime eyes make me laugh, senpai.

anime-cute.gifiEoq9QuuuntdVTKT.jpg.e5f0b392f43a7ec86d1

Haven't we been painting gem eyes like that for decades now? I don't get what makes them anime... They are round?

8 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Haven't we been painting gem eyes like that for decades now? I don't get what makes them anime... They are round?

Feel it's a based on your brain misunderstanding what you're seeing at first, ("whoa, those irises are HUUUUGE"), then even when you understand that they are artificial lens-eyes, you still have trouble unseeing the mistaken first impression)

Typically bionic 40k eyes are a single eye attached to large "box" that's over a large portion of the upper head and face. Don't think we've seen this style of just the eyes are modified and little else. And both at the same time.

Like, the model is not wrong, but my brain goes "eh?" the first instance I see the image, each time.