Don't sleep on Baal Red

I just picked up Baal Red "contrast" paint this weekend and I have to say, after a few decades of trying to get Blood Angels to look RED and not:

Red but dark and muddy

Red but highlighted obnoxiously

Red but actually orange

Red but just not the right red

Baal Red is really really good, and I finally have a few Blood Angels where I think, hey, these are actually red.  I'll post a few up soon. 

Definitely worth getting a bottle and experimenting.  I'll also post on how I used it. 

8 minutes ago, Scribe said:

My man, you cannot post like this, without a picture. ;)

Did you ever try/use the Word Bearers FW red for context as it was my favourite red.

Word Bearers red for Blood Angels?  No, I didn't try that because I'm not a heretic. 

I will post pictures soon. 

I'm also really curious what where people fall on a really divisive issue:  black-bordered shoulder guards or straight red? 

1 hour ago, Inquisitor Eisenhorn said:

I'm also really curious what where people fall on a really divisive issue:  black-bordered shoulder guards or straight red? 

Black should pads for the win! :biggrin:

It helps provide some interest on the pads as the whole model apart from the chest becomes just a vast field of red othewise.

gallery_82363_13858_684645.jpg

gallery_82363_13858_616023.jpg

gallery_82363_13858_176173.jpg

Edited by Karhedron

7 hours ago, Inquisitor Eisenhorn said:

Word Bearers red for Blood Angels?  No, I didn't try that because I'm not a heretic. 

I will post pictures soon. 

Black, the way the gods intended. 

@Karhedron love the retro vibes and bases on these!  Did you use Baal Red on these?  Really strong red either way!  

I totally agree that the blacked borders break up the miniature’s profile better, and I’m having a hard time finding a reason to not paint borders on all of mine after a single test mini.  I was wondering if a mix might actually look cool.  Having fairly mixed personal insignia and armor looks good on some other chapters, I’ve seen it done really well with Dark Angels.  

Just thought I'd mention I use Napthol Crimson Ink from Liquitex as a base for my Blood angels. High pigment count super vibrant like contrast and available at any craft or art store. With a zenithal primer job and two coats through an airbrush it goes on with amazing contrast. It's quite transparent though so I typically only use a black to grey zenithal and two coats to keep it from looking pink. Finish it off with an oil or contrast wash and you have a table top look that's fantastic with as few steps as possible.

2 hours ago, Inquisitor Eisenhorn said:

@Karhedron love the retro vibes and bases on these!  Did you use Baal Red on these?  Really strong red either way!  

Thanks. I prime them white and then basecoat with is Army Painter Blood Red. It highlight heavily with Ryza Rust and then Hexos Palesun. They look bright orange at tis point so the next stage is to wash with magenta ink. This knocks the tone of the whole model down to a really vibrant red.

My supply of GW magenta ink is dwindling fast. Liquitex look like they do a magenta ink that is similar so I may give that a go in future.

Still don't understand the nostalgia for sawdust flock. I've got a small Primaris force on the sprues waiting for time to paint as retro-space wolves but I'm updating the basing. Wish I had magenta ink though.

All the BA schemes are canonical. I tend to assume the 2nd ed scheme is Second War of Armageddon era while the current one is from later in the timeline.

27 minutes ago, Closet Skeleton said:

Wish I had magenta ink though.

This is what I am planning to test when my GW supply runs out. The colour looks them same although I may need to mix with Lahmian medium to get the consistency right. 

https://www.jacksonsart.com/liquitex-acrylic-ink-30ml-quinacridone-magenta

The pic is much darker than they actually end up, his lighting is a little dim. Not too dark, not stupidly bright.  In a nutshell its Baal Red contrast, the new argax earthshade and 2 quick highlights. Note you have to use the new AE because it stains but appears much lighter than the old. I use both quite a bit on various models so I can see the huge difference between them. And a bonus that Alan Rickman is narrating. 

I was happy with Blood Angels Red over white, but I'll havw to give this a go for my HH BA also - I'm looking for bright, almost 2nd ed orange. 

18 hours ago, Inquisitor Eisenhorn said:

Red but highlighted obnoxiously

Red but actually orange

You can usually knock those back with a red glaze - usually if the red goes a bit pastelly if you highlight with anything like wild rider, troll slayer and ungor flesh. 

2 hours ago, Xenith said:

I was happy with Blood Angels Red over white, but I'll havw to give this a go for my HH BA also - I'm looking for bright, almost 2nd ed orange. 

You can usually knock those back with a red glaze - usually if the red goes a bit pastelly if you highlight with anything like wild rider, troll slayer and ungor flesh. 

I’ve gotten some pretty good results with edge highlights the way you’re describing, but I’ve always been after a non-highlighted technique just as a matter of style.  

My current method I’m pursuing skips highlights but goes for a bright red and very sharp black-lining for armor panels.  

might be a fool’s errand on my part but I’ll post up when I’m done shortly.  

I tend to do non-edge-highlighted for my style. My recipe is Khorne red, with a layer of Wazdakka red heavily dry brushed over that, and another layer of Evil Sunz Scarlet over that. It ends up looking a little darker, but I think it's really nice. 

On 11/16/2022 at 8:06 AM, Galron said:

The pic is much darker than they actually end up, his lighting is a little dim. Not too dark, not stupidly bright.  In a nutshell its Baal Red contrast, the new argax earthshade and 2 quick highlights. Note you have to use the new AE because it stains but appears much lighter than the old. I use both quite a bit on various models so I can see the huge difference between them. And a bonus that Alan Rickman is narrating. 

Wow, that contrast is how my earlier Red Ink turned out. This would have stopped me from going with my new chapter color! (Though I don't regret it, it made my older schemed models obsolete).

What are people thoughts on priming in colors, other than black or white?

I've been airbrush priming in Vallejo german red brown and have really really liked the quality of shading gradiation

/

On 11/15/2022 at 2:52 PM, Inquisitor Eisenhorn said:

As others have said, the black really breaks up and accents the model really well. For me, it just ends up looking like a red jumbled mess if the shoulder pads aren't bordered in black now, though it can be a bit of a pain at times to do.

36 minutes ago, Djangomatic82 said:

I prime in lots of different colours depending on the model. For blues and greens, I usually use Halfords grey primer. If it is going to be metallic, I am happy to use Leadbelcher or Retributor armour sprays as primer.

On the Knight below, the armour was primed with halfords grey and then painted with Kantor blue. The chassis was primed with Leadbelchers spray and then washed with Nuln oil and highlighted with Stormhost silver.

In my experience, using a primer closer to the tone of the basecoat saves a bit of time and effort.

large.20221110_132735.jpg.a10cc617b95bd8

On 11/19/2022 at 11:36 AM, Karhedron said:

I prime in lots of different colours depending on the model. For blues and greens, I usually use Halfords grey primer. If it is going to be metallic, I am happy to use Leadbelcher or Retributor armour sprays as primer.

On the Knight below, the armour was primed with halfords grey and then painted with Kantor blue. The chassis was primed with Leadbelchers spray and then washed with Nuln oil and highlighted with Stormhost silver.

In my experience, using a primer closer to the tone of the basecoat saves a bit of time and effort.

large.20221110_132735.jpg.a10cc617b95bd8

How much does it actually affect the primary colors once you have a few layers on? 
I always figured bigger models are better primed in other colors but never considered smaller ones (but it’s more from lack of experience than me saying I understand fundamentals, I’m not sure how the fundamental’s work).

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 4:56 PM, Djangomatic82 said:

I've been airbrush priming in Vallejo german red brown and have really really liked the quality of shading gradiation

Vallejo German Red Brown is just my favourite paint ever. I use it whenever I can. But I do my Blood Angels in a sort of old-school terracotta, so not really sure how it would help the vibrant red you folk seem to like.

4A9B5EDA-7EEF-4AF7-8D56-71991DE08404.jpeg