Latest Lost List - 2k - Competitive.

Morticon

Greetings, all. 

INTRO:

So, I'm planning on attending a tournament in two weeks.  I've been toying and playtesting some variations for a while.  

I've settled on something I really, really like - and something that mitigates some of the weaknesses i was experiencing with previous builds.  

A lot of my previous builds were based around DFA.  It is SUCH an easy secondary to score- especially with Devs, inceptors or attack bikes - never mind charging units. 

The issue I was running into time and time again was that i needed too much off the board to make it really worthwhile, making my board presence very weak - especially if i went second.  

Fury of the Lost was next on the list. 

That led me to this:

LIST:

DC Bike Captain - Hammer, Visage, Rites

Astorath - Mantra/Rage (SoulWarden)

2x5 Infiltrators

1x5 Assault Inters - Hammer (debating MC Hammer)

2x5 DC - 4Hammers, JP

1x5 DC - JP

1x5 DC Inters - Hammer

1x7 SG - 4Axe, 3Sword

2x3 Eliminators - 2Fusil, 1Carbine

2x5 Assault Marines - 2Melta, 1Claw, 1Infernus

2x Impulsors - Ironhail upgrades

LIST OVERVIEW: 

With demons in the meta, Infiltrators are now worth their weight in gold.  They're pricier, and less useful for DFA than the Incursors on account of no combat ability, but their blocking really changes things up. 

The Impulsors may look like an odd choice, but really help with a variety of tactical options. 

First and foremost, they provide some decent dakka - each putting out 20x S4 shots (12 of which are -1ap)  That annoying plink damage adds up fairly. 

Secondly, they're able to tank MWs well.  Drop Armour of Contempt strat and you need around 16 MWs to take it out - protecting sqquishy troops inside

Thirdly, the ability to drop ObSec troops on a far away objective makes the combo with shock amazing. 

Finally, you can also use the universal strat Emergency Disembark after positioning the vehicle in a way that seems unassuming to jump onto distant, or unprotected objectives.  

All in all, some solid utility.  

The Eliminators provide some annoying plink damage too, but also give you a 14-19" move onto forward objectives or locations if need be. 

The assault guys offer some decent close range melta support, along with some melta bombs for the vehicles and can help with actions and objective grabs. 

Then of course there's the Lost; 5 units of them, allowing for some good drip feed secondary points.  If planned well, you can get 5 points just from them dying.  

I'm gonna get some reps in with this list and see what we can do with it!

Edited by Morticon

You mention Infiltrators but I can't see them on the list. I agree they are a very solid Troop choice.

For the ASM, I think you can give the Serg a free Combat shield. Not gonna be game breaking but a free 5++ could save the odd big hit if you are lucky.

4 hours ago, Karhedron said:

You mention Infiltrators but I can't see them on the list. I agree they are a very solid Troop choice.

For the ASM, I think you can give the Serg a free Combat shield. Not gonna be game breaking but a free 5++ could save the odd big hit if you are lucky.

Weird typo/error on my part. Fixed. Thanks for the catch. 

Also, yeah, didnt realise the shields were extra. I will defs throw them on. 

Mort - I played in the US Open in KC recently with something vaguely similar…and got owned. Mostly by nids and Tsons, and grey knights. I had a similar thought with the impulsor and I’ve got to say it was one of my biggest regrets. I would drop them and instead put Dante back in for that Cp and those rerolls (or a priest). 

the eliminators are a solid backfield choice but I would also consider a WW for fights last/ignore overwatch. I took suppressors to turn off overwatch on flamers…and wished I had a WW instead haha. Anyways, that’s my 2 cents!

Cheers for the feedback man - that is worrying!!

I thought a lot about the whirlwind, and could, in theory drop one Impulsor.  The issue for me is that it plays so well with Shock, and helps so much with Tau. 

I can playtest it for sure. 

Dante I would always play with his WLT, so, I wouldn't get any CP bonus there.  But, I found him a little lacklustre in my last tournament.  He was "ok" - so ive tried to build around a list that doesn't need him as much.  

Im curious to hear your thoughts on suppressors vs whirlies - was it just fights last? Because, im quite a fan of the Suppressors at the moment

13 hours ago, Jolemai said:

Also, Emergency Disembarkation can only be used when a Transport is destroyed.

Yup yup. 

So the tactic is to position your vehicle in a way that is 6" from an objective (if you dont need it to be ON the objective that time.  If can even be an uncontested or free objective. 

The use of ED then means that the opponent hasn't factored this additional objective claim to their movement plans.  

Quite a few sneaky things you can do with this strat and a transport!

On 11/20/2022 at 6:33 PM, Morticon said:

Cheers for the feedback man - that is worrying!!

I thought a lot about the whirlwind, and could, in theory drop one Impulsor.  The issue for me is that it plays so well with Shock, and helps so much with Tau. 

I can playtest it for sure. 

Dante I would always play with his WLT, so, I wouldn't get any CP bonus there.  But, I found him a little lacklustre in my last tournament.  He was "ok" - so ive tried to build around a list that doesn't need him as much.  

Im curious to hear your thoughts on suppressors vs whirlies - was it just fights last? Because, im quite a fan of the Suppressors at the moment

So my reply apparently got deleted...weird. So one of the issues I had with impulsors was my cargo - it was a judiciar (to make up for the fight last) and BG. They just weren't nearly as killy or tanky as I needed them to be.

As far as suppressors went, in 8 games they did precisely...nothing. Maybe it was because I hid them too much, but needing line of sight to turn off the overwatch - that only applies on infantry - was too much of a restriction. Maybe I'm just not a good player though haha

7 hours ago, keeblerartillery said:

So my reply apparently got deleted...weird. So one of the issues I had with impulsors was my cargo - it was a judiciar (to make up for the fight last) and BG. They just weren't nearly as killy or tanky as I needed them to be.

As far as suppressors went, in 8 games they did precisely...nothing. Maybe it was because I hid them too much, but needing line of sight to turn off the overwatch - that only applies on infantry - was too much of a restriction. Maybe I'm just not a good player though haha

That's interesting! i would have thought the BGV and Judy combo would have been solid!! Fair play, will take the info under advisement and see if I experience the same issues! 

On 11/22/2022 at 4:30 PM, keeblerartillery said:

it was a judiciar (to make up for the fight last) and BG

While BG are tough, they'll go down like a bag of wet cement to those MW focussed armies - The Impulsor would in theory be absorbing doombolt and stray smites, but TS/GK players will be able to move around to ensure that doesnt happen. 

If using an impulsor to absorb MW's with armour of contempt is a key strategy, any thought on putting the WLT on Astorath to pass out the 5+ ignore MW's within 6"? Might save some CP over the game. 

Seen he has SW - I thought you just had Rites. 

Edited by Xenith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tourney got postponed, sadly.  But, the list has been doing really, really well.  Have been on a little break as of late - but will be back in the gaming saddle in a week or two.  Hopefully when the new detachment and points drop. 

I'm already working on a revamp of this list, but much will depend on the secondaries.  

oh! Realised I actually ha da revamp.  So, I was getting continually smashed by nids, because the fexs and warriors just traded far, far, far too well.  

So, I had to work in attack bikes again to stand a chance. 

The last variation on this theme was:

DC Biker Cap

Master Biker

2x Infiltrators

1x Incursors

5x DC- 5Th

5x DC - 4Th

5x DC 

5x DC Intercessors - TH

7x SG

3x Attack Bikes - 3MM

2x Attack Bikes- 2MM

2x Attack Bikes- 2MM

Whirlwind

Playtested the AoO version of the above. 

DC Biker Cap

Master Biker

5x DC- 5Th

5x DC - 4Th

5x DC 

5x DC Intercessors - TH

6x SG

5x SG

1x Sang Ancient

3x Attack Bikes - 3MM

2x Attack Bikes- 2MM

2x Attack Bikes- 2MM

2x3 Elims- 2Fusils, Carbine

Whirlwind

It was glorious.  

The ability to have not *need* marginally useful troops as tax meant that everything on the board was dangerous.  

I played a TKSONS/Flamer bomb list.  94-61 to the BA.  

I'm VERY excited about the points cost.  That being said, we did still use AoC ...and I did keep track of how uaseful it was...and boy is that loss gonna hurt. 

While I've absolutely noticed the difference, the points buffs we've gotten alleviate this to some degree- but we must lean into it. 

I feel like i did whilst playing against sisters - i always felt they had so many more units to trade than we did-  now I feel like thats where we are.  I've been able to fit in SO much more, and while it dies much more easily, i've got more to work with.  

I've been more successful since the change. 

Given the value of the elites, I've actually gone really light on the HQ.  Also, I always keep 3CP spare.  2 for Adaptive Strategy, 1 for WW OW removal and 1 for Forlorn Fury.  In the event I need to use the hammer DC for an alpha, i burn those CP to ensure I kill what they hit. 

To lean into this, I almost always choose Heroic Bearing on the master biker - this allows Forlorn to be used and still stagger the DC back, 9" from the Master to ensure they get the command phase buff of rerolls.  

I've also started using the Ancient for the first time.  I never used him - and while I absolutely see his value now, I just didnt have the exact list for him.  He's exceptional - I rock him with Wrath and Rites. 

The rest of the list is just marines.  

Master Biker - TH, Heroic

Ancient - WoB, Rites

2x5 Incursors

2x5 DC - 5Th

3x5 SG - 3Axe,2Swd

1x8 VV - Claw/Shield

2x3 Attack Bikes 

1x3 Inceptors

1x Whirlwind. 

Ive been using SHOCK TACTICS, BANNERS and one other, depending.  Sometimes OATH, sometimes CODEX WARFARE, sometimes ENGAGE.  Banners/shock is a nasty combo with this type of trading army.