Best Havocs for NLs?

BrainFireBob

What deficiency do they cover in the army? Probably heavy AT so it follows that lascannons and MOS are the pick if you wanna take them. Keep the champion ablative and cheap. everything else havocs and so can be easily gotten in melee. 

That said their are several better or at least more efficient choices for the other types of damage available. 

On 11/25/2022 at 2:37 PM, ChazSexington said:

The "best" way seems to be 3x Lascannon, 1x ML with MoS. The ML and MoS is against flyers, if they're common in your meta. You use Skyshrike Missile and Murderous Perfection to deal 6 MWs to a flyer. Don't get me wrong, it's not amazing, but it's not bad either!  

I don't think you can use Murderous Perfection on the Skyshrike Missile strategem. It says change a dice roll to a 6 on a to hit, to wound or damage roll. If you hit with Skyshrike Missile you cause 2d3 mortal wounds - that's not a damage roll. Nor is it even a single dice roll. It is useful on the example unit you mentioned on the firsts turn. You can use Skyshrike on the ML and essentially gain two automatic hits with a single las cannon by using Murderous Perfection. AND you get to use that strat AFTER you have made your hit roll. It's a pretty powerful strat. 

Edited by Verbal Underbelly

I think the above loadout is the best for most legions. I mean without Multimelta it’s slim pickings with AoC especially in play. 

my IWs can deny cover so I like the Chaincannons and that’s about the only army that I think I’d deviate from the above load out. 

On 11/26/2022 at 11:06 PM, Verbal Underbelly said:

I don't think you can use Murderous Perfection on the Skyshrike Missile strategem. It says change a dice roll to a 6 on a to hit, to wound or damage roll. If you hit with Skyshrike Missile you cause 2d3 mortal wounds - that's not a damage roll. Nor is it even a single dice roll. It is useful on the example unit you mentioned on the firsts turn. You can use Skyshrike on the ML and essentially gain two automatic hits with a single las cannon by using Murderous Perfection. AND you get to use that strat AFTER you have made your hit roll. It's a pretty powerful strat. 

So I don't necessarily disagree, but according to the BRB, it seems like it is a damage roll, thus you can auto-six it. The question is whether a damage roll, as defined by the BRB, also extends to Mortal Wound damage rolls. 

On 11/29/2022 at 4:54 PM, ChazSexington said:

So I don't necessarily disagree, but according to the BRB, it seems like it is a damage roll, thus you can auto-six it. The question is whether a damage roll, as defined by the BRB, also extends to Mortal Wound damage rolls. 

It's still two dice. You can only alter one right? 

Be interesting to find an FAQ on this. What page did you look at in the BRB please?

On 12/1/2022 at 11:23 AM, Verbal Underbelly said:

It's still two dice. You can only alter one right? 

Be interesting to find an FAQ on this. What page did you look at in the BRB please?

So I've double checked it - it DOESN'T work the way I thought. It's still a pretty nifty way to do it though; with 3 lascannons and the missile launcher with MoS, you just have the 1 CP Murderous Perfection to either automatically do 2D3 MWs if you miss, +1 extra hit if you're in the right doctrine, and just generally use it that way instead.