Night Lords Chosen

Supernaut

Hello all!

I'm in the (very) early stages of planning a unit of Night Lords Chosen as somewhat of a theoretical display piece. The problem is that while I LOVE the Night Lords...I don't actually play Chaos (pretty isolated without much of a playgroup, as well).

While this unit will likely not actually see a battlefield, I won't say never, and would like to keep it legal and useful,  just in case.

Would it be possible to get some recommendations for common unit size and loadouts for Chosen as a starting point?

Thanks!

I am of the mind that a unit of 10 with accursed weapons and bolters is the way to go. 1 in 5 can now take a power fist for free, so I’d do that as well. Then mark of Slaanesh and an icon to grant them +1 to hit in close combat and access to some great buffs (5+ FNP from Slaanesh psykers, advance and charge from a Slaanesh dark apostle are the most meaningful).

IMO combi weapons are too expensive. Better left to terminators at 5 points each instead of chosen at 10 points each, but that is up to you. I feel like it would take the 4 max/unit of 10 combis to do anything meaningful, and that’s 40 points, pretty hefty. But maybe in your lists you will find that worthwhile.

I play Word Bearers and so have no idea what special rules Night Lords have to enhance the unit further.

Edited by Khornestar

I've been using Chosen in every one of my Night Lords games this edition and I love them. "First Claw" are probably my best performing melee unit this edition. I take them in squads of 8 to 10 with Mark and Icon of Slaanesh. I also give my Chosen Champion, Ravenblade, the Black Rune of Damnation. 

Lately I've been tossing in a meltagun and it's done some work for me. But taking all 4 meltaguns, as the others have noted, would be too expensive. 

I often use the Chosen as a second wave unit, running them up the board behind a Khornate-marked Legionaries Squad or behind a pair of daemon engines.