Beat The Backlog! Hobby decluttering challenge 2022/2023

Go to solution Solved by Beaky Brigade,

Alas my goal of 10 for May has not materialised as I've currently got two commissions on the go (I painted 36 models for those...), and have ended up increasing my Leadweight by purchasing The Lion and Lion Guard, Azrael, and this months Imperium delivery, but I did still paint a model of my own, here is my Ravenwing Ironshark Jetbike,

PSX_20230519_110530.jpg

PSX_20230519_110439.jpg

PSX_20230519_110406.jpg

@Grotsmasha - That is a clean and beautifully done jetbike.

So May was a light month on both sides, thankfully. Most of what I painted was non-40k, but progress is progress. I'll see if I can get so pictures of the 40k models I did due last month. Just been so tired this month I haven't had the energy after painting to set up and take the pictures.

I have all but the second Kahl done of my votann, finishing the second hekaton and pioneer squad. 

I was good in not adding to the pile, only the monthly Imperium drop and a pair of salvaged mechs were added.

And the numbers

Starting weight: 2261
Weight lose: 27
Weight gain: 14
Current weight: 2248
Weight change: -13

June Forecast: It's going to be heavy with Imperium and Leviathan. Estimates are 90 weight between these two. I'm going to hit my ultramarine project  a bit hard to soften the blow.

Goal for June: Gain less then 50 weight.

I'm under no illusions that I will be able to lose weight this month, it's just too much at the end of the month. Though... *looks at knight bay* I might be able to pull this off if I can get a pair of knights done. Hmmm..

Edited by Focslain

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 8:12 PM, Beaky Brigade said:

I hope everyone is doing well as we come to the end of May. This month I've definitely painted some figures but it may take a while to do the accounting this month as I received some new figures as birthday presents and also painted some of them.

Update coming by the end of the weekend hopefully!

It did take a bit longer, but here is my belated May update!

Official progress for May;

Models finished: 13 leadweight (11 Blood Bowl Players and 2 tokens/ counters on bases)
Models gained: 1 Blood Bowl 'Big Guy' player (painted same month), 8 non GW models (gift!).

Starting leadweight 325, target 315, actual leadweight 320...

So for May I'm really pleased to have finished a long term project in the Blood Bowl team that have been sitting unfinished for about 6 years.

Gaining the extra models was ok, though it does highlight the need to paint as twice as much as you obtain to make a big chunk of progress.

We're most of the way through June and I've been busy with part time study and training for a cycling event, so I don't have any major plans for this month other than to keep steady.

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, BeakyBrigade, bear a Leadweight of 320 upon my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to keep this steady until July, through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading. 

See you in July!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice thread and great idea! 

I kind of already started doing this, so if it’s OK I’ll post my work done in June to get to my current total and then make my pledge for July (same pledge I’ll make for the Call to Arms).

Based on these numbers, I had a leadweight of about 260 at the start of June. By a combination of selling stuff and cannibalising some models for parts for others, I reduced this by 41 points. However, I sold these models with the express intention of getting some other stuff I wanted, namely a Stormsurge and 20 Raven Guard, which added 50. Finally, I painted my fire Warriors, Ghostkeel, their drones and a couple of the Raven Guard which dropped it by 23. Picture of the painted Tau attached.

So, with a net loss of -14 my total lead weight at the start of July is 246.

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, TheArtilleryman, bear a Leadweight of 246 upon my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to reduce this by 18 during July, through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading. 

IMG_2638.jpeg

Edited by TheArtilleryman

Well I finished up my painting for the month. 

10 Gal Vorbak for 30K and 11 Novamarines for 40K/Badab War.

aoHfc9Sl.jpg

mszhfRrl.jpg

Xkylaezl.jpg

aEZhOjGl.jpg

This should bring my marine leadweight down by 21 from 934 to 913. However, my FLGS still had some Sternguard in stock when I popped in last week, so I had to pick them up as GW is no longer making them. Plus some assault marines, terminators and a land speeder.... which amounts to 21 points. Oops. :whistling:

I did try to sell a Primaris army, but nobody locally is buying at the moment (except me), but I will keep trying. 

Welcome to the challenge @TheArtilleryman, those Tau are a lovely colour! Well done for getting that painting done and chopping and trading.

@Prim Well done those are some excellent models, I feel your pain about the '1 in, 1 out' result of painting and buying :D

For anyone who has been taking part in the thread for a few months or more, my challenge to you is to take a couple of minutes to see how much progress you've made since starting.

I didn't want to look, but since December 2022 I have reduced my leadweight from 338 to 321. It's not a massive reduction, but it's slow and steady progress :)

Official progress for June;

Models finished: 0
Models gained: 1 - Another Blood Bowl big guy, this one was ordered in May, but just took a while to come via international shipping, so I don't see it as deliberately breaking my vow for June :whistling:

Starting leadweight 320. 
Target leadweight 320
Actual leadweight 321

I would theoretically like to make a big dent in the model pile buy selling some more stuff, but I've reached a point where many models I haven't sold or started as a project have some FOMO value to me, even if it's not a realistic army project at the present time.

The good news, is I don't have as much disposable income at the moment, so I will be able to resist making large hobby purchases, but I will have to reduce my leadweight the harder way, by actually painting some more minis.

The target for July is to paint 6 extra models for my blood bowl team I finished in May. This time I'm choosing a project first and basing my leadweight target on that project, rather than setting an arbitrary leadweight target and trying to find projects to complete to reach it. We'll see if this is more successful.

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, BeakyBrigade, bear a Leadweight of 321 upon my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to reduce this to 315 by August, through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading. 

35 minutes ago, Grotsmasha said:

I'll actually need to get home and check, but I don't think I painted a personal model of mine this month, it's all been commission work, additionally Hachette lined up for a double delivery this month, adding double digits of models to my leadweight.

That must make this challenge really difficult … all your painting time is spent painting for others, which you get money from, which feeds your hobby, which you run out of time to paint…

Luckily(!?) I don’t have a lot of disposable right now so I am forced to sell stuff if I want to buy anything new, and my painting isn’t good enough for anyone to want to pay me for it :teehee:

So far I’ve only painted 1/18 of the pledged marines, because Steam went and had a sale didn’t they so I’m addicted to Snowrunner … still got time though …

17 minutes ago, TheArtilleryman said:

That must make this challenge really difficult … all your painting time is spent painting for others, which you get money from, which feeds your hobby, which you run out of time to paint…

I have both The Lion and Guard, and Azrael assembled and waiting and it's probably going to be Q4 before I can get to them....

• 2 weeks later...

I've completely lost track of my total. I have bought more stuff but have painted lots and sold more. I'm currently trying to sort my hobby space into a more organised area. I should then be able to do an accurate tally.

The plus part is that I'm taking part in the call to arms so I'm hoping to be conquering more grey plastic. I also have more to sell. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's update time!

Official progress for July;

Models finished: 5(+2 test models)
Models gained: 0

Starting leadweight 321. 
Target leadweight 315
Actual leadweight 314

I set a modest but specific goal for July and I achieved it. I set out to paint 6 Blood Bowl players to round out my chaos team, which included 5 regular players and 1 Troll big guy, and I finished 4 regular players and 1 Troll big guy, I opted not to paint one of the regular players as it would have taken me above the max team roster size of 16, and it was completely unpainted. I wish I could share the team here as I'm really pleased with them!

Towards the end of July I went back to my long suffering 'traitor' guard. I think I've made my best attempt to paint them, this time closer than ever to the GW box schemes, but I'm just not feeling the models for some reason. I don't have a sense of their story, what they fight for, or a sense that persevering to finish all 20+ models will give me a sense of satisfaction, so I might put them away for a while to see how I feel. I think they would work best as Iron Warriors Auxiliaries but I don't have a desire for that legion.

20230728_095110.thumb.jpg.bfdbadb6cfcee8e680424fdb7727d1b3.jpg20230729_172805.thumb.jpg.9cd4179843d1e4a6568cdc26f62eb186.jpg

So I go into August not really sure what the next project should be out of the 100s of minis I own, so I will make my next goal just to stay steady for another month and give myself some time to think about what I should finish next :)

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, BeakyBrigade, bear a Leadweight of 314 upon my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to remain at 314 until September, through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading.

• 5 weeks later...

I hope everyone had a great August. 

I've been hard at work building this wonky beast, so have not painted anything this month, but I also kept my goal of not increasing the leadweight of my collection. 

20230827_171710.thumb.jpg.ca5228c4298721205f98cb4dc650a206.jpg

I think September will also be a building month, hopefully the Stormblade will be assembled, with the last major challenge fitting the resin engine deck (with fit being the operative word!) and finishing off the gap filling. That said I need some extra money and want to chip away at the LW so I will try and sell a couple of minis. 

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, BeakyBrigade, bear a Leadweight of 314 upon my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to reduce this to 310 by October through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading.

• 4 weeks later...

Somehow managed to miss all of August, not that it actually matters, I didn't paint a single miniature of my own..... :whistling:

BUT, but, I did at least sqeeze in a few of my own for September, seven models (3 Marvel United) and four board appropriate models to be precise, A DA Co. Master, a Chronomancer, a Cannoness, and a Sister Superior,

PSX_20230923_022607.jpg

PSX_20230923_022517.jpg

PSX_20230904_221945.jpg

PSX_20230826_205425.jpg

I need to update my Pile of Potential tracker for the latest Imperium deliveries before I can accurately account fr my leadweight, but I'll do that prior to October :th:

Edited by Grotsmasha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick update:

Not had a lot of time to hobby recently. Last time I posted I was on 228.

I’m being quite good at not buying new stuff without selling old stuff first. I just sold a metal box dread on eBay but the same day I foolishly snapped up a random lot of 3D printed parts which saw me add potentially 2 Leman Russ tanks and a Basilisk… oops. In my defence I sold the dread for £50 and bought the tanks for £20 …

As a penance I painted 10 Kasrkin and 5 guardsman and repainted my Inquisitor conversion to go with them. Leadweight now 225, so overall a net loss of 3 … at this stage I don’t care about them being too neat, they just need to be done!

IMG_3005.thumb.jpeg.51d88dbe0503a3d9d681830732eaec93.jpeg

This AM army, which is now gonna be nearly 2k points when the new tanks arrive, forms a massive chunk of my leadweight. I have spent the rest of the profit from the dread on the paints I need to do it, so will try and paint as much as possible over the next few weeks. The photo below was taken before I painted the models above. I’m gonna go for 50 by Christmas, but not sure in what combo.

IMG_2977.thumb.jpeg.06f550d18e8cd3a92ba2883e91d3ce1e.jpeg

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, TheArtilleryman, bear a Leadweight of 225 upon my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to reduce this to 175 by Christmas through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks, I've been rather neglectful of this project and I'm very sorry. The past two months have been occupied with leaving my job and planning my move to the Northeast of England, and all things Warhammer have slipped down the the list of priorities. For now everything is in boxes prepared for the trip through the Immaterium.

I did manage to reduce my backlog this month, by giving away this half built piece of Epic scale FW terrain to a lucky friend.

According to the rules I stated at the start, 30g of terrain is worth 1 lead weight, and I forgot to weight it, but guestimating based on similar terrain pieces I would say 70-80g in weight, which would reduce me by 2 leadweight :D

20231122_145236.thumb.jpg.f493e7f66e4e4ffdc76de2edfc652bd6.jpg

Christmas is coming, but I am not planning to ask for any new models for now, so fingers crossed I'll keep things under control :)

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, BeakyBrigade, bear a Leadweight of 312 upon my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to maintain this level by January through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading.

I hope you are all doing well and wish you good luck in the giving season, why not give some minis to someone else?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I suppose I better tally some stuff then. Was going to for my WIP thread anyway.  Hoping this forced hiatus and recovery afterwards can be used as a spring board to push myself a little.  Model wise at least.  Been in one hell of a slump of recent.