Thousand Sons

happyslugger
Go to solution Solved by Xenith,

Well I have managed to get a TSons Christmas box allocated for next week, so the journey begins on building the army. 

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello.

Initial plan is to get the Xmas box set, a patrol box, Ahriman, a MVB and another box of terminators (not all at once I add, cost of living and all that).

I don't really have any psychic heavy armies, so will be interesting to see how they play (I'm more of a collector and hobby guy than competitive player).  I wonder how they will stack up against my son's grey knights. 

Edited by happyslugger

Welcome to Sortiarius, brother! Sounds like a reasonable plan for an army if you ask my. As for a matchup with the Grey Knights, in my opinion we can hold our own unless there are too many Dreadknights involved. Cabal points and a few of our strategems are wonderful at keeping our psychic phase consistent.

I think my issue is, I expect far too much of myself when it comes to painting.  I watch the pros on YouTube like Duncan and see their models.....then look at mine.....

I forget that's these people do this stuff for a living and are far more accomplished than I am.

Still annoys me though lol 

I would seriously consider magnets. I have magnetized all my rubrics so that the sorcerer can be armed with pistol or pistol flamer. And every rubric can have a bolter or flamer, and one can swap for the soulreaper. All options at anytime. I don't really feel like painting more rubrics than I need to, to be able to flip options. It's a good practice for future-proofing as editions and rules change. And options are always good. Even the icon is magnetized. 

But if you dont want to mess with magnets, make one flamer squad(or have one with a soulreaper) and one bolter squad with a soulreaper. 

Thanks @Ahzek451

I have done some models with magnets before and think the smallest were my dawn eagle jet bike arms (with the lances).  Not sure i could face magnetising each weapon if I am honest (fair play to you if you did).

I assume you placed a 1 mm x 1 mm  magnet in the wrist section connecting the guns to the arms?

I tend to be super meticulous with the process and go a bit overboard. In general, the same arm position can be used for all the guns, if you don't mind tiny errors in gap and angle.
I magnetize the right arm at the wrist and magnetize the left arm at the shoulder, because I've noticed the left arm needs to be able to go up and down a little depending on the gun. It also helps with changing the guns out and painting. I don't recall the size, I'll have to look. It's been awhile. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Welcome to the Silver Tower! You've had some great advice already - I'd also go with an even split of flamer models and bolter+SRC models. Flamers were great, and they received a point drop recently - they can also advance and fire, making them one of our faster damage dealing units. 

Good luck on the rubrics - they take a while but it's worth it. Mine are Silver Sons, so using a leadbelcher base then kantor blue to fill in the gaps. So much faster than painting trim afterwards. 

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I updated this thread but so far I've painted the 20 goats, 20 rubrics, 10 SOT, the three exalted sorcerers, the infernal master and my third party hellbrute. 

Next up will be the two maulerfiends and MVB.

Then Ahriman and the Goat dude on disk.

Then Magnus and the LOC.

Think I need one more box of rubrics and SOTs but they can wait as it's not much fun trying to paint them lol.

Need some Tzeentch troops also, so may grab a box of the horrors (blue and pink) once I've done big red and big bird before going back to the blue and gold.

21 minutes ago, Ulfast said:

Wow, really well painted models. I think you are doing a great work.

Thanks. They look okay, if you get real close you will see errors but that's okay. I don't have the time or skills to paint them much better if I'm honest. I try and touch up areas I make mistakes and need to do some gems and highlights on them. But I also get board quickly lol.

I can't paint faces (or haven't really tried) and white is an absolute pain. I only have brushes so no air brush stuff. 

WIP.

The big magic ball on his back is corax white spray.  Liberal coating of tesseract Glow and will be touched up with baharoth blue to match the magic on the staffs, disks and things.  

I honestly couldnt think of much else, so dry brushed some purples, skaven blight and slaanesh grey for claws etc.

Tentacles will be purple / red and some blood for the blood god paint me thinks 

1679923128757986644560102402308.jpg

16799231536343274202215702086888.jpg

Edited by happyslugger

2 hours ago, happyslugger said:

Thanks. They look okay, if you get real close you will see errors but that's okay. I don't have the time or skills to paint them much better if I'm honest. I try and touch up areas I make mistakes and need to do some gems and highlights on them. But I also get board quickly lol.

I can't paint faces (or haven't really tried) and white is an absolute pain. I only have brushes so no air brush stuff. 

I mean, unless your some pro you'll find mistakes scouring anyone's minis. I think yours look great!