Arks of Omen and Eldar Army Building

Xenith

With the preview of the new Arks of Omen detachment in the new tourney pack, troops have now essentially become optional, and we can run up to 6 of any of our options.

Spoiler

YSLg56dkyZ2k7cbC.jpg

How is this going to affect your army builds, if at all? Personally I love the Eldar FA slots, and would really love to fit Spiders, Hawks, then 3x1 Vypers into the list, so that'll be me immediate port of call for Engage antics, maybe a unit of shroud runners also. This could also let you run 3 fire prisms then also have falcons /support weapons etc, or maybe just 6 falcons for the cloudstrike. 

What will you be doing?

I've been enjoying a similar approach in another game for a month or two.

If I return to playing 40K, this change will likely be limited to replacing current troop choices with more Dire Avengers like previous editions. Doubt I'll be spamming more de rigueur units.

Yeah it's the 6 FA list that I'm leaning most toward as a start. Plan is for 1x3 Spears, 1x5 laser windriders, 1x4 shuriken riders (2 cannon), 1x3 Shroudrunners, 2x5 Spiders. Spiders lose to Hawks these days, I know... but they're what I have and want to use.

Interestingly this list leaves me with just 3 Aspect Elites slots, so that's currently 8 Avengers, 6 Banshees and 8 Scorps.

Then it's 1 Falcon and 1 Serpent for the Aspects, 2 farseers and 2 warlocks (one each on bike), 2 d-cannons, 2x5 Rangers.

I still think rangers bring enough utility for 2x5 as long as you protect them just a little and shoot at characters.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

I will probably be leaning into Elites initially. I like my Wraith units as I play Iyanden so I can make a force with minimal living Eldar. Plus I can get extra Warlock support and even chuck in a Wraithknight without burning a pile of CPs to do it. I can see some entertaining aspect-heavy lists too.

Basically I am delighted to be able to ditch Guardians as they have sucked ever since 3rd edition. Giving our basic Troops light armour and short-ranged weapons is something I still have not forgiven Gav Thorpe for. The fact it has never been fixed since means Guardians have always played second fiddle to other Troop units. Instead of reacting to this by fixing Guardians, GW has slowly been moving other units out of Troops. :mad:

Ironically, the fact that we don't need to fill mandatory Troops slots might make Corsair Voidreavers more attractive. They have 24" range shuriken rifles and provide cheap ObjSec as a useful alternative to Rangers. Their 6s to-Hit also auto-wound and count as a 6 meaning they can operate quite happily without further character support. They make great actions monkeys Mon Keighs. :wink:

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Ironically, the fact that we don't need to fill mandatory Troops slots might make Corsair Voidreavers more attractive. They have 24" range shuriken rifles and provide cheap ObjSec as a useful alternative to Rangers.

In a non-AoC world they're even decent for bargain basement aggro trading pieces with power-weapons; basically the cheapest power sword in the game. 10 with rifles are next on my army to-do (using leftovers from regular kit on guardian bodies), but I'm thinking of chucking them in Raiders and Venoms first.

In Falcons or as one half of a Serpent's payload, I love Corsairs aesthetically and the ObSec they bring for the price, but they really do need proper AP -3 into marines to make a lick of sense tbh

As an Ulthwé player I do like the occasional guardian bomb, but Aspects, jetbikes and gravtanks are so much fun right now : )

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

1 hour ago, Dr. Clock said:

In a non-AoC world they're even decent for bargain basement aggro trading pieces with power-weapons; basically the cheapest power sword in the game.

I had not noticed that! With power swords they are cheaper than PS Storm Guardians but have twice the number of attacks as well as the special rules.

On 12/24/2022 at 4:56 PM, Karhedron said:

I will probably be leaning into Elites initially. I like my Wraith units as I play Iyanden so I can make a force with minimal living Eldar. Plus I can get extra Warlock support and even chuck in a Wraithknight without burning a pile of CPs to do it. I can see some entertaining aspect-heavy lists too.

Basically I am delighted to be able to ditch Guardians as they have sucked ever since 3rd edition. Giving our basic Troops light armour and short-ranged weapons is something I still have not forgiven Gav Thorpe for. The fact it has never been fixed since means Guardians have always played second fiddle to other Troop units. Instead of reacting to this by fixing Guardians, GW has slowly been moving other units out of Troops. :mad:

I am similarly excited for the new army building method, though I recently finished buying what I require for a 2000 point Ulthwé army. I am keeping suicidal footslogging Guardians to a minimum and instead they will be crew for Jetbikes, Vypers, War Walkers and Support Batteries and so on. This probably means my army will fail to have the right keywords to function but makes a lot more lore sense in my head. I'll have to sort out a painting log in this forum soon.

Yes, Tanks, Warwalkers and even support weapon batteries are all solid choices.

I usually ran a pair of Fire Prisms under the last codex but I am not quite feeling them so much this edition. The loss of core and the changeto the linked fire stratagem has made them a bit less dangerous, although bypassing Invulns can be handy against certain targets.

• 2 weeks later...

With the points drop on Shroud Runners, I am still looking at 3 x5. Two or maybe three squads of warwalkers, and some wraith units and a D-Cannon unit on the home objective. Wraithseer as well. Really considering Wraithknights now that they cost no CP and get craftworld traits. One or two of those and some wraithlords rampaging through their lines should be pretty fun, especially since strategic reserves are now free. Ill have to start pointing some stuff. Got too much going on with all my other armies realigning them with the points changes so I probably wont get to eldar before the edition change and all this goes out the window. 

I only have a tiny Eldar force at the moment, this is perfect, I only have to add one squad of Elites (Scorpions) and Im good to go. Actually, will I be able to use an Avatar as the HQ or is that in the not suitable list?

Edited by Slave to Darkness

I am also really taken with the idea of a Wraithknight. I especially like that you can now take 1 Heavy Wraithcannon and 1 Suncannon while still have the 5++. That is a great package of firepower and reasonable durability. The 5++ is a great place to use Strands of Fate dice if your opponent lands a hit with a big weapon.

3 hours ago, Karhedron said:

1 Heavy Wraithcannon and 1 Suncannon while still have the 5++.

Maybe I've missed it somewhere, but how?

Edit: Got very confused, I thought you were meaning the Scattershield, but the Wraithknight has a built-in 5++. My bad :whistling:

Edited by Kallas

7 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Yes, the Avatar is an HQ choice, not a Lord of War so he can be taken quite happily.

Cheers, just snagged a cheap Farseer off ebay anyway, was only a fiver so would have been rude not to really. 

22 hours ago, Slave to Darkness said:

I only have a tiny Eldar force at the moment, this is perfect, I only have to add one squad of Elites (Scorpions) and Im good to go. Actually, will I be able to use an Avatar as the HQ or is that in the not suitable list?

Out of curiosity, do you mean for the new detachment or for the Boarding Actions? For the latter I think the Avatar would indeed be unsuitable.

Nice find for the farseer!

1 hour ago, Doctor Perils said:

Out of curiosity, do you mean for the new detachment or for the Boarding Actions? For the latter I think the Avatar would indeed be unsuitable.

Nice find for the farseer!

I'm sure it'll be fine, he just needs to crawl on his knees and stop complaining. :laugh:

15 hours ago, Slave to Darkness said:

Tbh I didnt know Boarding Actions and detachment were separate things, not paid that much attention to the whole Arks of Omen thing. 

Fair enough. The Arks of Omen detachment is for normal matched play.

Boarding Actions have their own special detachment as well as extra restrictions that limit the game to pretty much just infantry.

BVjb6y8gxghXzzwF.jpg

If you want a summary of the boarding actions rules, they can be found here. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/03/arks-of-omen-how-to-build-boarding-actions-army-lists/

The eldar points changes are rather disappointing:sad:

Why o why did wraith guard with flamers get a points hike, not like they are being spammed:laugh:

I would have rather swooping hawks take a datasheet nerf, rather than being 25pts each, the problem being skyleap is rather good:ermm:

and even more perplexing is barroth did not get a pts increase:huh:

Yeah, Farseers and Warlocks getting an increase is saddening but fairly understandable. Hawks going up is painful, but they're still incredibly good just for being 14" FLY models that then immediately disappear after firing; they're basically immune to enemy guns and can hold your backline easily, so it's udnerstandable if a bit rough.

What baffles me is how they have increased underused things (Wraithguard D-Scythes, like you said; but also other factions' stuff like Carnifexes) and then the Marine point reductions are just braindead. Would have been nice if they'd taken at least a passing glance at things like Guardians, who are just...terrible, or Night Spinners who, after the Indirect Fire nerf, are kind of pricey for what they do since their main draw is heavily degraded.

At least Craftworld Eldar are in a reasonable place right now. Powerful but fragile, and very flexible in list building (albeit not as flexible as the now much more plentiful Marines).