Arks of Omen and Eldar Army Building

Xenith

2 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

I expected an increase on bike casters, but foot ones arnt used as much:ermm:

A drop on guardians would have been nice:yes:

Ah well, that's prob the last update before 10th. 

Given they were hesitant to drop Necron Warriors until now, not all that shocked they didn't drop Guardians.

But yeah, it's probably the last thing until 10E. Wild it's already been almost three years.

On 1/10/2023 at 1:30 PM, Galron said:

With the points drop on Shroud Runners, I am still looking at 3 x5.

The drop on Shroudrunners is nice but I am not convinced they are worthwhile. For an extra 10 PPM you can get Vypers which have T5 and twice as many wounds. They also get a choice of different heavy weapons. I am not sure the extra sniper shot and pre-game move are that valuable. 

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

The drop on Shroudrunners is nice but I am not convinced they are worthwhile. For an extra 10 PPM you can get Vypers which have T5 and twice as many wounds. They also get a choice of different heavy weapons. I am not sure the extra sniper shot and pre-game move are that valuable. 

3 x 5 is still a nice goal just for rule of cool. Once 10th edition arrives, they may be good again. You only have to wait 6 months to find out. :angel:

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I think the biggest draw for Shroud Runners is Battle Focus. Add on that they are OUTCASTS, so you can use Fire and Reposition (BF not reduced by terrain) and they can provide some great mobile firepower.

I was tossing up between 2x1 Vypers (Scatter Lasers, for anti-infantry; 80pts) and 1x3 Shroud Runners (90pts, now):

• 3 Scatter Lasers and 3 Ranger Long Rifles (not exactly amazing, but with Strands, you can guarantee a MW if you might need it) vs 2 Scatter Lasers and 2 Twin Shuriken Catapults
  • Same mobility (16" FLY + auto-6" Advances) but the Runners get Battle Focus (and combined with the FAQ'd Swift Strikes to BF after Advancing for extra mobility) the Runners can move further/hide better/shoot and then not be exposed; plsu Runners get their pre-game move which can combine with Phantasm as basically an extra unit to redeploy (since a 16" FLY move is gonna get them almost wherever you want them!)
  • Runners are more fragile (9 Wounds at T4/4+ with the ability to get Light Cover) vs the Vypers (2x 6 Wounds at T5/4+) who are also two separate entities requiring multiple weapons
  • Runners have less flexibility, since Vypers can be tooled for supporting fire in whatever role you need

Honestly, I think these two are in a good spot for internal balance, and both are absolutely viable options.

I have to apologise to those in this thread. I bought a load of Farseers and Warlocks on Jetbikes recently, and everything I like has to be nerfed, so sorry everyone! :laugh: 

2 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Swooping hawks are so expensive now, reducing my list from two squads to one, sorts out the increases:laugh:

True but I think they will be very strong in AoO with things like the boost to "Behind Enemy Lines). As long as you can keep them alive, they can score a lot of points without firing a shot.

On 1/14/2023 at 4:18 PM, Kallas said:

I was tossing up between 2x1 Vypers (Scatter Lasers, for anti-infantry; 80pts) and 1x3 Shroud Runners (90pts, now):

I think the runners win that every time - 10pts for another scatter laser? The runners are also better by virtue of being RANGER units, so with the advance move can complete scout the enemy in T1 for some points, especially if you're using Hunter of ancient relics for action+shoot as I do. If you get them into cover, the coaks pushthem to a 2+ save, which is something. 

Battle focus is also great - the vypers can't move after shooting, so unless they wipe the target or only have LOS to one thing, they'll largely get wiped on the return shooting. Vypers could really do with a 5++ like war walkers to differentiate them from other bikes.

The point changes are odd and unfortunate. IMO So much of the army underperforms. The move from 7-8th crippled most of Eldar tanks defensive abilities (moving fast for glances) as well as holofields, and didn't replace them with anything. 9th then reduced effective ranges, so the tanks final defence of keeping stuff at range was lost. 

Anyway, troops are bad, I'll probably switch up betwen using more elite slots for 3x5 avengers to perform actions, then also 6 fast slots to use my hawks, spiders, runners and vypers in the same list. 

46 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

I don't like how they cant advance and fire as everything is heavy:no:

Swift Strikes is the answer here :laugh:

I was looking at Children of the Open Skies/Mobile Fighters before the MFM/Dataslate, but now that Swift Strikes has been officially FAQ'd to allow Battle Focus afterwards, I'm 100% sold on it as it gives fantastic mobility: +d6" Advance, you shoot with full effectiveness, and then you still get to Battle Focus d6" after that.

Now that's all theory, because I only have like three Eldar units total so far, but still :whistling:

20 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Shroud runners don't have the ranger keyword however

...:facepalm:

19 hours ago, Kallas said:

Swift Strikes

As I mused here, I'd agree that Swift Strikes is now great, and it seems to render CotOS pointless. Unless you take both for mega movement. 

What are peoples thoughts on war walker and wraithlord loadouts?

I'm thinking for ww, with dual bright lance or bright lance and scatter laser. 2nd option makes them cheaper and the single bright lance can lean on the Ulthwé reroll to wound. 

Then for wraithords, I'm thinking the sword is possibly to expensive, while again bright lance and scatter laser might be the best option. Or at least a decent cost effective option?

• 2 weeks later...

The real answer is magnetise them!

With AoC I found scatter lasers to be amazing for the points (usually zero), now they're a bit worse, but probably still good. Honestly after a good amount of games with my Eldar, scatters and lances are the only heavy weapons I really take. However the wraithlord is flexible enough ot be able to take both, both weapons are good, so I'd say the answer depends on what armies they will be facing, and how much anti infantry/anti tank you have in the rest of the army. If you have like 3 prisms, then go scatters, but if you already have a few units of avengers or whatever, maybe lances. You probably can't go wrong taking one of each, as you can fire them independantly anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2023 at 11:48 PM, Emperor Ming said:

Then for wraithords, I'm thinking the sword is possibly to expensive, while again bright lance and scatter laser might be the best option. Or at least a decent cost effective option?

I feel that the Sword is a bargain for the points. Hitting at S9 now means you are wounding Marines on a 2+ and even T8 Monsters vehicles on a 3+ instead of a 5+. The extra wounds and AP are valuable against any armoured targets while the sweep attack doubles his ability to clear chaff. The only time I would skimp on the Sword is if I specifically intended to use the WL in a fire support role to protect my DZ but I feel they are too potent not to push into the midfield.