Why go Raven guard

Chaplain Corvid

Thank you for visiting the Raven Spire @Chaplain Corvid. Reason I play Raptors Successor chapter of Raven Guard is the tacticool aspect of kitting out my models as they all are on long range recon patrols, so tons of extra ammo, supplies, camo netting, etc on my units. Plus it was an all scout army in previous editions, that now has Phobos in it.  I can tell you why I choose to Play Raven Guard in HH is as much as I love Crimson Fists, Polux, and Dorn I did not want to paint yellow...... 

21 hours ago, Chaplain Corvid said:

I have been out of the hobby for since the beginning of 9th edition I have a reasonable sized force that is mostly unpainted. I am struggling to decide how to paint them. I'm toying with going the Raven guard. Can anyone tell me what bought them to the sons of corax?

Heya Chaplain. While I love my Raven Guard, you might want to hold off a couple weeks before you commit to anything. Rumour is that some SM stuff is on the hoirzon that will shake up the meta.  I'd hold off until you know more.

I started RG because I like the color scheme and the fluff and the "playstyle" but right now RG are not in a terrible good spot. 

There are two cool Astartes Chapters and both dress in black. Now I'm not a fan of a solid black paint scheme but I do love that the Raven Guard come the closest to practicing a modern day military style as any in the Astartes. Raven Guard get the nod over our wild ass zealot brothers in the Black Templars because we have the best canon and non-canon Successor Chapters. 

I look forward to coming back to the Spire with a vengeance whenever 10th edition rolls out.

Edited by Dracos

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up on Raven Guard lore several years ago. When the Primaris stuff dropped I loved the aesthetics but wasn't a huge fan of the edition. I love rogues and shadow magic in fantasy. So I felt a big pull towards them. 

When AoD revamped for 2.0 with the Corvus pattern in bulk I hit accept Burton. I couldn't be happier with my choice for Heresy. There's just something about 30k RG having all of the special units and autonomy that make Raven Guard feel like Raven Guard. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2023 at 8:34 AM, Dont-Be-Haten said:

I picked up on Raven Guard lore several years ago. When the Primaris stuff dropped I loved the aesthetics but wasn't a huge fan of the edition. I love rogues and shadow magic in fantasy. So I felt a big pull towards them. 

When AoD revamped for 2.0 with the Corvus pattern in bulk I hit accept Burton. I couldn't be happier with my choice for Heresy. There's just something about 30k RG having all of the special units and autonomy that make Raven Guard feel like Raven Guard. 

Same. 

30k Raven Guard feel more like the lore depicts them than 40k Raven Guard do. 

• 1 month later...

Going to be coming back to 40k after 2 editions away when 10th edition drops.

I've toyed with the idea of looking elsewhere for chapters than Corax's boys, but, I just couldn't find anything that I loved more.  I have zero idea how they will play, but, for the time being, I have a Combat Patrol to paint up, and the excitement is building very slowly, for the first time in years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't sold my 40k RG off, but at this point I don't trust GW to not sodomize them with a hot poker in the new edition. 

So I'm in "wait and see" mode. If they screw my Ravens over again I'll probably just pick another faction entirely to play in 10th edition, because I really don't want to play any other Marines. 

Shrike's rules look cool though. Can't even be *targeted* by a shooting attack if more than 12" away, along with the unit he joins. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping they give us detachment with every infantry unit getting stealth and either:

• +1 to hit/wound vs characters or
  • every weapon gets precision keyword if within 12" of a visible enemy character unit and, if it already has precision keyword, gets either devastating wounds or re-roll 1s to wound or something like that.  

How about this as a detachment:

---SHADOWBLADE DETACHMENT--

<DETACHMENT RULES>

-"Strike from the Shadows" -- All models in this Detachment, except vehicles that lack the Fly keyword, gain Stealth. Additionally, if a unit from this Detachment is fully within a terrain feature at the start of the Shooting phase, it gains Lethal Hits for its ranged attacks until the end of the phase and, if the unit is fully within a terrain feature at the start of the Fight phase, it gains Lethal Hits for its close combat attacks until the end of the phase.

-Cannot take units with a 2+ save or the Gravis keyword in this Detachment.

-Incursors, Infiltrators, Assault Marines, and Assault Marines with Jump Packs all gain the Battleline Key Word.

<ENHANCEMENTS>

1 - Ex Tenebris (Phobos character only) -- Model's non-Psychic ranged weapons gain Precision, +2 Dmg, and -2AP.

2 - Armour of Shadows -- Bearer and his unit gain Infiltrate and the Bearer gains Lone Operative.

3 - Ebon Claws (Model with Twin Lightning Claws only)- Bearer's close combat weapons gain -1 AP, +1 Damage and Sustained Hits 2.

4 - Swift and Deadly - Bearer and his unit gain Lance for their close combat attacks and, if they have the Jump Pack keyword, can Advance and Charge or Fall Back and Charge.

<STRATAGEMS>

1 - Decapitating Blow (1 CP) --

When: Friendly Shooting Phase or any Fight Phase

Target: One friendly unit that has not been selected to shoot or fight yet.

Effect: That unit gains Precision for its attacks until the end of the Phase. If any model in this unit already has Precision on its attacks, then it instead gains +1 to Wound when targeting a Character unit.

Restrictions: Can only be used on non-vehicle units.

2 - Master of Ambush (1 CP) --

When: Friendly Shooting Phase or any Fight Phase

Target: One friendly unit that has not been selected to shoot or fight yet.

Effect: Target unit makes Critical Hits on an unmodified 5+ to hit and Critical Wounds on an unmodified 5+ to Wound until the end of the phase.

Restrictions: Can only target units that are fully within a terrain feature.

3 - Shadowstep (2 CP) --

When: In the Shooting Phase, when an Enemy unit targets a friendly unit, or the Charge phase, when an enemy unit selects a friendly unit as the target of a Charge.

Target: A friendly unit that was selected as the target of a Shooting attack or the target of a Charge this phase.

Effect: Remove the friendly unit from the battlefield and then immediately place it anywhere on the board more that 9" horizontally away from any enemy units. The enemy unit can then choose a different target for it Shooting attacks or charge attempt.

Restrictions: Can only target a unit that includes a model with the Librarian Key Word.

4 - Airborne Fury (1 CP) --

When: Friendly Shooting Phase

Target: Up to three friendly units with the Fly Key Word.

Effect: Provided all of the models target the same enemy unit, they may reroll any 1s to Hit and 1s to Wound for their ranged attacks until the end of the phase.

Restrictions: The targeted enemy unit cannot have the Aircraft Key Word.

5 - Target Priority (1 CP) --

When: Friendly Shooting Phase.

Target: One enemy unit visible to a  friendly Phobos Character.

Effect: All friendly Shooting attacks gain Sustained Hits 1 against that target unit until the end of the phase (if the friendly unit doing the shooting has not moved during the current Battle Round, then it gets Sustained Hits 2 instead).

Restrictions: None.

6 - Reiver Raid (1 CP) -- 

When: Friendly Shooting Phase or friendly Fight Phase.

Target: A friendly Reiver Squad that is wholly within the enemy Deployment Zone.

Effect: All this unit's attacks gain -1 AP and Anti-Infantry 3+ until the end of the phase. If the unit include a Lieutenant in Reiver Armor, then the attacks gain -2 AP and Anti-Infantry 2+ instead.

Restrictions: None.

Also, here are some proposed rules for a Lias issodon character:

Lias Issodon

M6”  T4  Sv3+  W5  Ld 6+  OC1  (Invul Sv 4++)

Ranged Weapons:

*Bolt Pistol

*Malice (Assault, Anti-Infantry 3+, Precision) — 36”  3A  BS2+  S5  AP-3  Dmg2

Melee Weapons:

*Raptorclaw (Sustained Hits 1) — Melee  5A  WS2+  S5  AP-2  Dmg2

Abilities:

*(Scouts 6”, Infiltrate, Stealth, Deep Strike, Lone Operative)

*Grim Hunter — Lias Issodon, and any unit he is attached to, can Shoot and Charge in a turn in which it Fell Back.

*Infiltrate, Isolate, Destroy — Lias Issodon grants the Scouts 6”, Infiltrate, and Stealth rules to any unit he has joined. Additionally, while attached to a unit, that unit gains +1” to its Movement and +1” to its Charge rolls.

Leader:

*Intercessor Squad

*Assault Intercessor Squad

*Infernus Squad

*Hellblaster Squad

*Sternguard Veteran Squad

*Infiltrator Squad

*Incursor Squad

*Eliminator Squad

*Reiver Squad

Raptors:

*This model is from the Raptors Chapter, a successor of the Raven Guard. For all the rules purposes, it is treated as a Raven Guard model, but it cannot be included in an army that includes any other Raven Guard Epic Hero models.

Wargear Options

*None

Unit Composition

*1 Lias Issodon — Epic Hero.

This model is equipped with Malice, Bolt Pistol, Raptorclaw

Keywords:

*Infantry, Phobos, Grenades, Smoke, Character, Epic Hero, Imperium, Chapter Master, Lias Issodon

Faction Keywords:

*Adeptus Astartes, Raven Guard

Edited by L30n1d4s