Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

Eh, the N&R subforum gets way more activity overall due to its broad encompassing subject matter and its placement in the forum list, on top of the reality that BL sales comprise ~1% of Games Workshop's annual revenue.

This really is the containment zone for us bizarre psychopaths that read books and think about them.

10 minutes ago, Felix Antipodes said:

While I don’t have an issue with a new BL book getting an entry in the News & Announcements section - it is newsworthy in my eyes after all - I do wish the Mods would move the thread(s) to the BL section after the initial post has been given a sufficient time in N&A (say a week).

Precisely what I'm thinking. Moving a thread also leaves the hotlink in place, so folks can still see it over there while being directed to the appropriate place to discuss the thing. Instead we have conversations split between two places, with retreading of discussions or, worse, people missing out on half the conversation.

Just a head's up since the Blackstone Fortress Omnibus is releasing today:

The omnibus does not contain the short story from the limited edition of the original novel, Cauda Draconis (iirc), as should've been expected, and Thomas Parrott's Isha's Lament (from novella series 2) is also not included. I presume that this is due to their cut ties more than anything, although they've yet to collect most of the other novella series 2 entries. Thieves' Paradise at least got picked up in the Freeguild omnibus (while another short story from the Callis & Toll cycle hasn't been in there, because of course they wouldn't complete the package...), and Low Lives was in the Necromunda Uprising anthology.

Here's the kicker: There was supposed to be an "Imperium at War" anthology with the 5 40k novellas, back in August 2020. I don't know if this ever actually released. It's still listed on Amazon, but unavailable, and is not found on the BL website. There doesn't appear to be an official ebook release, either.

The unfinalized cover on Amazon lists all five authors, but the description only refers to three novellas, being Severed by Nate Crowley, Iron Resolve by Mark Clapham and Lords of the Storm by Edoardo Albert. Danie Ware's Bloody Rose novella was picked up elsewhere as we know, but Thomas Parrott's Isha's Lament has gone MIA entirely outside of the ebook edition still on sale.

I'm going to speculate that this book was slated for release, like the Master of Shadows(?) Raven Guard Space Marine Conquests novel was, and abandoned on relatively short notice, possibly before printing went ahead on scale.

So yeah, that Blackstone Fortress omnibus, as chunky as it is, is missing an entire novella. At this point, I wouldn't count on it getting reprinted anymore. This was probably the final chance it had, considering the bad blood between GW/BL and the author.

In terms of books, what do we know is going to be released in the next few months , all genres (not counting omnibus)

- Once a Killer

-The End and the Death Vol2 & Vol 3

-Creed ashes of Cadia (today)

-Genestealer

-Plus 3 more in the adeptus sonoritas novels (They told they were releasing 5.

-LE of For the Emperor  

- Fall of Cadia (for those who didn't get the LE)

Any more news?

3 hours ago, chevalierdulys said:

In terms of books, what do we know is going to be released in the next few months , all genres (not counting omnibus)

- Once a Killer

-The End and the Death Vol2 & Vol 3

-Creed ashes of Cadia (today)

-Genestealer

-Plus 3 more in the adeptus sonoritas novels (They told they were releasing 5.

-LE of For the Emperor  

- Fall of Cadia (for those who didn't get the LE)

Any more news?

I’d be very surprised if all of those Adeptus Sororitas novels came out in the next few months. I expect we’ll see them come out over the next couple of years. 

Sea of Souls is the only officially confirmed book missing from your list.

3 More saturday, two more LE to go.. Let's hope is not next weekend. Although I love For the Emperor (my favourite being the second Caves of Ice)  I won't buy it.  This month we are talking in euros 130 for the WB, this one was 65€; I bet that the other two are around the same price (probably for the emperor will be a bit cheaper like s Sword of Calth or Yndrasta. We are talking 300€ in books. Then we've got months with barely any. Don't understand their business model lol I think that in combination of being the first book for Jude people opted to buy other stuff

On 9/9/2023 at 6:37 AM, DarkChaplain said:

Just a head's up since the Blackstone Fortress Omnibus is releasing today:

The omnibus does not contain the short story from the limited edition of the original novel, Cauda Draconis (iirc), as should've been expected, and Thomas Parrott's Isha's Lament (from novella series 2) is also not included. I presume that this is due to their cut ties more than anything, although they've yet to collect most of the other novella series 2 entries. Thieves' Paradise at least got picked up in the Freeguild omnibus (while another short story from the Callis & Toll cycle hasn't been in there, because of course they wouldn't complete the package...), and Low Lives was in the Necromunda Uprising anthology.

Here's the kicker: There was supposed to be an "Imperium at War" anthology with the 5 40k novellas, back in August 2020. I don't know if this ever actually released. It's still listed on Amazon, but unavailable, and is not found on the BL website. There doesn't appear to be an official ebook release, either.

The unfinalized cover on Amazon lists all five authors, but the description only refers to three novellas, being Severed by Nate Crowley, Iron Resolve by Mark Clapham and Lords of the Storm by Edoardo Albert. Danie Ware's Bloody Rose novella was picked up elsewhere as we know, but Thomas Parrott's Isha's Lament has gone MIA entirely outside of the ebook edition still on sale.

I'm going to speculate that this book was slated for release, like the Master of Shadows(?) Raven Guard Space Marine Conquests novel was, and abandoned on relatively short notice, possibly before printing went ahead on scale.

Imperium of War does indeed exist! (Can you see the picture I'm trying to upload?) It is worth it for Nate Crowley's Severed. Steve Lyons' story is solid and Edoardo Alberto's is boring.

Thomas Parrott's Isha's Lament was dull so , imo, addition by subtraction, the BF Anthology is better for not having it.20230910_234148.thumb.jpg.1d206fbb1b9ea73f2973e3289f0e780e.jpg

11 minutes ago, cheywood said:

Genefather is up for preorder on the 30th of September: https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a18597643/Guy-Haley-Genefather#omnsearchpos=12

No word yet on Fall of Cadia

Thank you!  I’m a hundred pages from finishing book two in the Fabius Bile trilogy, so looks like I’ll have enough time to finish the trilogy and jump straight into Genefather!

1 hour ago, Taliesin said:

I like when they release a lot on the same day, saves shipping costs sometimes.

And that's only a perk because they made it so that you cannot order their releases from general retailers anymore like you used to. There's almost no book retailer, or general retailer, over here who would charge for shipping, unless it's second hand. In fact, books are generally exempt from the normal shipping costs. Heck, I once managed to skip import taxes on a figurine from Japan because it was bundled with an artbook.

I'm pretty sure US bookchains don't charge for national shipping either, do they? Or UK ones?

Saving shipping costs is only a consideration because GW/BL decided to be the exclusive supplier, with small print runs, no reprints and artificial scarcity ramped up to the max. And the way to get around those ludicrous shipping costs is to order plastic kits you'd get at significant discounts via other retailers (which tend to have lower free shipping thresholds in my experience!) or buying multiple books at once, by running the 5-minute sale gauntlet the moment things go up. That's no way to do good business, and certainly not something that makes me feel good as a customer.