Balance Dataslate and Feild manual up. How do you think we fair?

Kassill

2 hours ago, jpwyrm said:

Oh right, rule of 3!

That's some potent fire power! I tried the Ancient with shooty units gimmick recently and it can be quite fun. If only it could be a little more reliable. I wonder if an Apothecary could be worth it now that bot cost relatively less than before...

Brother...space wolves dont get apothecaries

We get wolf priests...lorewise a combination of chaplain and apothecary

Gamewise we dont get cool apothecary tricks otherwise it would be insanely OP. 

Our chaplain can heal d3 wounds for a CP using the healing balms stratagem...yay /s

Edited by TiguriusX

Overall I think we did OK with the balance slate and the assorted discounts adequately compensate for the loss of AoC. We were among the upper performers for Astartes before the dataslate and I don't think we will move significantly from our 45% winrate. Iron Hands may leap towards the top of the pile but I feel sorry for Blood Angel players as the loss of AoC has really hurt their top-performing build which leveraged Sanguinary Guard.

However, I'm reading some ba players are now maxing inferno pistols.

I expect ba to be lateral shift.

15 hours ago, TiguriusX said:

Brother...space wolves dont get apothecaries

We get wolf priests...lorewise a combination of chaplain and apothecary

Gamewise we dont get cool apothecary tricks otherwise it would be insanely OP. 

Our chaplain can heal d3 wounds for a CP using the healing balms stratagem...yay /s

I do wish our wolf priests were actually different. :(

Like, give them the fnp bubble, and limited "sagas" instead of litanies. Where you have to choose the saga at the start of the game.

3 hours ago, Triszin said:

However, I'm reading some ba players are now maxing inferno pistols.

I guess that is one way to go but you either need a lot of cash to splash on bits or a 3D printer. Also there is a risk that they go back to being a paid upgrade again in 10th edition.

Although to be fair the same can be said of outfitting entire squads of WG with combi-weapons. I have always wondered about that as combi-weapons have never been a kit option as far as I can recall so it is odd that it keeps cropping up in the Codex. I keep expecting it to disappear to be honest.

5 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I guess that is one way to go but you either need a lot of cash to splash on bits or a 3D printer. Also there is a risk that they go back to being a paid upgrade again in 10th edition.

Although to be fair the same can be said of outfitting entire squads of WG with combi-weapons. I have always wondered about that as combi-weapons have never been a kit option as far as I can recall so it is odd that it keeps cropping up in the Codex. I keep expecting it to disappear to be honest.

I'm already too invested in working on some now, if they pull the rug on us in 10th putting everything back to X pts or worse, no combi weapons I will be very very sad. 

I'm already struggling with the fact that we do have older kits and I have to resort to expensive kitbashing in additon to the realization that almost every combi weapon I can find is right handed which limits the options of what pairing I can do for the left hand. I have no idea how the guys in the recent goonhammer article managed to kit 2 bricks of them with these issues... 

Edited by Kassill

Battlescribe update is out

I am gonna take this for a spin...stay in dev doctrine all game

My choices will be from the following depending on terrain/opponent

Banners

codex warfare

engage/behind enemy lines

shock tactics

oath

abhor the witch

Spoiler

++ Arks of Omen Detachment (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [107 PL, , 1,999pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selector**: Custom Chapter, Master Artisans, Space Wolves Successor, Whirlwind of Rage

Arks of Omen Compulsory Type: Heavy Support

Battle Size [6CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost

Game Type: 5. Chapter Approved: Arks of Omen

+ HQ +

Chaplain [7 PL, -1CP, 115pts]: 2. Catechism of Fire, 5. Recitation of Focus, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Jump Pack, Litany of Hate, Power fist, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Wise Orator

Chapter Master in Phobos Armour [7 PL, -1CP, 120pts]: 2. Lord of Deceit, Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Chapter Command: Chapter Master, Combat knife, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted instigator bolt carbine, Stratagem: Warlord Trait, Warlord

Primaris Techmarine [4 PL, 70pts]: Forge bolter, Frag & Krak grenades, Grav-pistol, Mechadendrite, Omnissian power axe, Servo-arm

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 100pts]: Helix gauntlet

. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

. Infiltrator Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Marksman bolt carbine

. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

. Infiltrator Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Marksman bolt carbine

+ Elites +

Company Ancient [4 PL, 65pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Thunder hammer

Judiciar [5 PL, -2CP, 75pts]: Absolver Bolt pistol, Executioner Relic Blade, Frag & Krak grenades, Rites of War, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Stratagem: Relic of the Chapter, The Armour Indomitus

Wulfen [6 PL, 145pts]

. Wulfen Pack Leader: Wulfen Frost claws

. 4x Wulfen w/ thunder hammer & storm shield: 4x Storm Shield, 4x Thunder Hammer

Wulfen [6 PL, 145pts]

. 4x Wulfen w/ thunder hammer & storm shield: 4x Storm Shield, 4x Thunder Hammer

+ Fast Attack +

Cyberwolves [1 PL, 15pts]

. Cyberwolf: Teeth and claws

Land Speeders [3 PL, 60pts]

. Land Speeder: Multi-melta

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [4 PL, -1CP, 75pts]: Las Fusil

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Frag & Krak grenades, Instigator Bolt Carbine, Morkai's Teeth Bolts, Stratagem: Thane of the Retinue

. 2x Eliminators: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Camo cloak, 2x Frag & Krak grenades

Eliminator Squad [4 PL, 75pts]: Las Fusil

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Frag & Krak grenades, Instigator Bolt Carbine

Eradicator Squad [14 PL, 270pts]: Heavy melta rifle

. 3x Eradicator: 3x Bolt pistol

. Eradicator Sgt: Bolt pistol

. Eradicator with MM: Bolt pistol, Multi-melta

Long Fangs [10 PL, 172pts]: Armorium Cherub

. Long Fang: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Grav-cannon

. Long Fang Pack Leader: Frag & Krak grenades, Meltagun, Power fist

. Wolf Guard Terminator Pack Leader: Chainfist, Combi-melta, Cyclone missile launcher

. Wolf Guard Terminator Pack Leader: Chainfist, Combi-melta, Cyclone missile launcher

Sicaran Arcus [9 PL, -1CP, 210pts]: Arcus multi-launcher, Heavy bolter, Two Lascanons

++ Total: [107 PL, 1,999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

If i get 1st turn my forward deployed troops lock in objectives

If i go 2nd i pull back and play defense for hold more chances

9 hours ago, TiguriusX said:

Battlescribe update is out

I am gonna take this for a spin...stay in dev doctrine all game

My choices will be from the following depending on terrain/opponent

Banners

codex warfare

engage/behind enemy lines

shock tactics

oath

abhor the witch

Hide contents

++ Arks of Omen Detachment (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [107 PL, , 1,999pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selector**: Custom Chapter, Master Artisans, Space Wolves Successor, Whirlwind of Rage

Arks of Omen Compulsory Type: Heavy Support

Battle Size [6CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost

Game Type: 5. Chapter Approved: Arks of Omen

+ HQ +

Chaplain [7 PL, -1CP, 115pts]: 2. Catechism of Fire, 5. Recitation of Focus, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Jump Pack, Litany of Hate, Power fist, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Wise Orator

Chapter Master in Phobos Armour [7 PL, -1CP, 120pts]: 2. Lord of Deceit, Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Chapter Command: Chapter Master, Combat knife, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted instigator bolt carbine, Stratagem: Warlord Trait, Warlord

Primaris Techmarine [4 PL, 70pts]: Forge bolter, Frag & Krak grenades, Grav-pistol, Mechadendrite, Omnissian power axe, Servo-arm

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

Company Ancient [4 PL, 65pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Thunder hammer

Judiciar [5 PL, -2CP, 75pts]: Absolver Bolt pistol, Executioner Relic Blade, Frag & Krak grenades, Rites of War, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Stratagem: Relic of the Chapter, The Armour Indomitus

Wulfen [6 PL, 145pts]

Wulfen [6 PL, 145pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Land Speeders [3 PL, 60pts]

. Land Speeder: Multi-melta

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [4 PL, -1CP, 75pts]: Las Fusil

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Frag & Krak grenades, Instigator Bolt Carbine, Morkai's Teeth Bolts, Stratagem: Thane of the Retinue

Eliminator Squad [4 PL, 75pts]: Las Fusil

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Frag & Krak grenades, Instigator Bolt Carbine

Eradicator Squad [14 PL, 270pts]: Heavy melta rifle

. 3x Eradicator: 3x Bolt pistol

. Eradicator Sgt: Bolt pistol

Sicaran Arcus [9 PL, -1CP, 210pts]: Arcus multi-launcher, Heavy bolter, Two Lascanons

++ Total: [107 PL, 1,999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

If i get 1st turn my forward deployed troops lock in objectives

If i go 2nd i pull back and play defense for hold more chances

Remember, wulfen get storm frag free. even though it doesn't reflect that in battle scribe

image.png.ed66d6d93d47b7e31a7d1dd2230eda0b.png

First field test of codex warfare was real fun.

Staying in dev doctrine all game is a viable tactic.

Heavy weapons picked up 6 kills and the wulfen added 2 in melee

Had a few other melee kills from non wulfen that didn't score...but I can live with that

It's an interesting list and idea, and one I might have to look as my Sisters and Grey Knights feel like they've gotten a lot worse in comparison for the new season. 

I might have misunderstood, but I fear you may have played Codex Warfare wrong - as I understand it the secondary checks for the Doctrine being active for the army, rather than for the unit so if you are in Dev Doctrine then the Wulfen aren't getting points on it for melee kills?

59 minutes ago, Vassakov said:

I might have misunderstood, but I fear you may have played Codex Warfare wrong - as I understand it the secondary checks for the Doctrine being active for the army, rather than for the unit so if you are in Dev Doctrine then the Wulfen aren't getting points on it for melee kills?

This was already brought up earlier - basically, because the Wulfen rules includes the wording, "the Assault Doctrine is considered to be active for that attack instead of the currently active doctrine" then it should still count for Codex Warfare.

25 minutes ago, Kallas said:

This was already brought up earlier - basically, because the Wulfen rules includes the wording, "the Assault Doctrine is considered to be active for that attack instead of the currently active doctrine" then it should still count for Codex Warfare.

Wulfen has a unique special rule that expressly says the assault doctrine is active FOR YOUR ARMY while wulfen make attacks

This makes it different from all other rules that put a single unit in assault doctrine

Huh, hadn't clocked that (or apparently read the thread properly :blink:.) To be honest that's something I'd try and get a ruling on from a TO before you get there but as you say, it's very counterintuitive to how every other version of that interaction works!

24 minutes ago, Vassakov said:

Huh, hadn't clocked that (or apparently read the thread properly :blink:.) To be honest that's something I'd try and get a ruling on from a TO before you get there but as you say, it's very counterintuitive to how every other version of that interaction works!

Once again...I have cleared it with all the TOs I am involved with

Everyone who reads the rule sees the exact language that is needed

There is surprise at the language because it is unique...but nobody questions whether it works

On 1/15/2023 at 1:29 PM, TiguriusX said:

image.png.ed66d6d93d47b7e31a7d1dd2230eda0b.png

First field test of codex warfare was real fun.

Staying in dev doctrine all game is a viable tactic.

Heavy weapons picked up 6 kills and the wulfen added 2 in melee

Had a few other melee kills from non wulfen that didn't score...but I can live with that

How did the lost of AoC affected your playstyle/list, if it did? Do you think it will affect you more against certain matchups? And finally, how many vengeance shots were shot thanks to the Ancient?

On 1/14/2023 at 3:10 PM, Karhedron said:

I have a squad of WG that's like 1 TH/SS, 2x combi plasmas/LC, 2x double LC (no jump pack though) which might be fun. That was built for full rule of cool though.

I am looking to finish out my Drakeslayers, so I'm looking at what kind of Long Fangs I might want to build, as well as another squad of Wolf Guard Terminators. I might just pad some squads of Skyclaws, etc. making sure there's a sergeant with a decent loadout just because that's cooler as well, even if it ends up costing points again later.

Then fully onto some Primaris Wolfspear once that's done I think. Optimistic, but I want to finish the SW up before 10E.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

12 hours ago, jpwyrm said:

How did the lost of AoC affected your playstyle/list, if it did? Do you think it will affect you more against certain matchups? And finally, how many vengeance shots were shot thanks to the Ancient?

The meta is super lethal

I assume anything that can be seen is dead.  The only thing i expected AOC to help survive was an astraeus.

I am actually glad AOC is gone bc it made killing sisters of battle too hard

Ancient was a pyschological warfare unit that game.

He only fired at the LFs in the open on turn 5 and killed 1 model.  That guy failed to fire on death. 

I expect a completely different game v custodes.  I am sure he will be busy

12 hours ago, Triszin said:

Hey tig, have you considered heavy ints with executor rifles?

Nope

115 pts for only 5 heavy weapon shots at s5 ap2(3) d2 isnt efficient for what i am trying to do

Some people theory crafted imperial fists and spamming as many of them as possible but i doesnt appeal to me.  not my style

I had my first Wolves game with the points the other night. I found I was glad I only had one Wulfen squad in this case, as I played Custodes and it was just incredibly frustrating trying to get through no rerolls/Transhuman, etc.

But what did work was my scoring, he had a lot more difficulty keeping primaries. My worst choice was trying to get points in his zone... that was not a bright choice. But otherwise a single squad of Infiltrators did a great job of not only grabbing a 'sticky' objective but calculating a move up that prevented him from basically ever getting it unless he could wipe out the unit.

I flashed hard on my drop Pod long fangs... that's the thing about playing against Custodes as much as I do... they will just have these runs of "4 up" dice rolls and really there's nothing you can do about it. 

The numbers were the big winner here. I was nearly wiped, and granted neither of us had an optimal list (he even took a Landraider), but as much as he could crush me man to man, he just couldn't do it fast enough. 

One shocker was the Assault Termies. I thought I had the right play and the did remove the remainder of a biker units, but they just evaporated in return. 

It is definitely notable that getting used to having no AoC is rough, but I felt it more with Wolves than my Scars. The Scars are a pile of crappy models, whereas my Wolves are more elite... aside from Skyclaws, I feel the losses a lot more on the expensive models.

We had a very close game, he knew my characters would be fairly aggressive and I got lucky in the end on some saves, but all in all a far closer game than I anticipated.

22 minutes ago, Prot said:

I had my first Wolves game with the points the other night. I found I was glad I only had one Wulfen squad in this case, as I played Custodes and it was just incredibly frustrating trying to get through no rerolls/Transhuman, etc.

But what did work was my scoring, he had a lot more difficulty keeping primaries. My worst choice was trying to get points in his zone... that was not a bright choice. But otherwise a single squad of Infiltrators did a great job of not only grabbing a 'sticky' objective but calculating a move up that prevented him from basically ever getting it unless he could wipe out the unit.

I flashed hard on my drop Pod long fangs... that's the thing about playing against Custodes as much as I do... they will just have these runs of "4 up" dice rolls and really there's nothing you can do about it. 

The numbers were the big winner here. I was nearly wiped, and granted neither of us had an optimal list (he even took a Landraider), but as much as he could crush me man to man, he just couldn't do it fast enough. 

One shocker was the Assault Termies. I thought I had the right play and the did remove the remainder of a biker units, but they just evaporated in return. 

It is definitely notable that getting used to having no AoC is rough, but I felt it more with Wolves than my Scars. The Scars are a pile of crappy models, whereas my Wolves are more elite... aside from Skyclaws, I feel the losses a lot more on the expensive models.

We had a very close game, he knew my characters would be fairly aggressive and I got lucky in the end on some saves, but all in all a far closer game than I anticipated.

Custodes can only protect their infantry with no reroll/transhyman super buffs.

And wulfen cant reroll anyways so all they gotta do is get through transhuman....just takes 1 TH to kill those elite golden boys.  

I plan on firing a ton of grav guns into custodes infantry and eradicators into bikes.  We will see if the dice are kind on sunday

17 minutes ago, TiguriusX said:

Custodes can only protect their infantry with no reroll/transhyman super buffs.

And wulfen cant reroll anyways so all they gotta do is get through transhuman....just takes 1 TH to kill those elite golden boys.  

I plan on firing a ton of grav guns into custodes infantry and eradicators into bikes.  We will see if the dice are kind on sunday

I understand. I just meant in general, it's a factor to consider that the custodes does have a bit more life through strats now.  The Thunder hammers completely bounced on me... again, some good rolling on his part! I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but Ragnar cut through them (with +1 to wound and a Primaris LT loaded with shield/pistol) helping as well. He had the belt of Russ, and that completely flipped that side of the table... maybe just pure luck, but Belt of Russ/Fights last was huge against his Termies (4 wounds a piece).

Also forgot to mention this guy always plays Shadowkeepers so -1 attack across the board. I felt that as well.

Grav might work, and I had no Eradicators in my list which certainly would have helped. Grav not too sure, but again it is infuriating when they hit a string of 4++ rolls. All you can do is shrug.

I think, just generally speaking, this was a bad match up for me. I do love the Psyker though. It was pretty big to have something of choice in the Assault phase in this one. I probably should have went heavier into mortal wounds in hind sight.