My Mauler in my TS lists has never failed to do nothing :sweat: it's a big beast, and even alongside terminators, a couple of hellbrutes etc it always seems to get targeted first. I think you probably need to run them in pairs, or alongside more daemon engines or the disco lord, something that CSM have to heal them fore sure, once they actually get in they should be wrecking vehicles with D3+3 damage on th fists. 

I prefer the tendrils over the cutters, as by the time the cutters are in range, so are your fists, while the tendrils help with other chaff that might try to bog it down. 

In my last game I used two of them, both with tendrils, together they killed a full TS terminator unit, some sort of lord and a bunch of Rubrics. I wanted my MoP to join them, but the MoPs Rhino was targeted before the Maulerfiends, so he was stuck a bit backfield when it blew up. I love how the Maulerfiends look as models. The fists are amazing when it comes to killing vehicles, and other hard nuts to crack. As @XenithI am more inclined to use the tendrils.

Cpt.Danjou

I too run mine with the Tendrils, just in case it gets bogged down or needs to pivot into infantry. I just use it as a big wrecking ball basically. It advances up the board, keep the Lord Discordant safe and fire off the other Engines/ infantry. Your opponent *has* to deal with it otherwise it will just swing in and demolish something big. I think it deals with TEQs, specficially, very well and can be surprsingly tough with some invulnerable saves.

My Maulerfiend (with tendrils) tends to either a) fail and charge and die or b) kill one thing and then die. Although, as a Red Corsairs player, part of that I'd how quickly the Maulerfiend can get across the board. People know how much damage a Maulerfiend can do, so it's almost always a priority target.

They were great in 8th every time I’ve run one in 9th as others have said it either fails the charge and dies or gets stuck into a unit kills that and gets focused down the following turn. As such I pivoted to venom crawlers as they were cheaper, did a similar role of early game fast threat and were fast attack rather than heavy support.

4 hours ago, Xenith said:

My Mauler in my TS lists has never failed to do nothing :sweat: it's a big beast, and even alongside terminators, a couple of hellbrutes etc it always seems to get targeted first. I think you probably need to run them in pairs, or alongside more daemon engines or the disco lord, something that CSM have to heal them fore sure, once they actually get in they should be wrecking vehicles with D3+3 damage on th fists. 

I prefer the tendrils over the cutters, as by the time the cutters are in range, so are your fists, while the tendrils help with other chaff that might try to bog it down. 

Similar experience. It's always the priority target. I want to take the cutters but I think your rationale for tendrils is the reason I always go with them, as well. I've loved the thing since it came out, it's been a part of virtually every CSM list since 6th edition.

On 1/24/2023 at 6:29 PM, Toldavf said:

I never saw the attraction in them, they have a reasonable punch in melee and I guess they can crush most mid tier monsters. Not really a niche the army needs though. 

There aren’t many melee options in our codex that deal more than 2 damage per wound in combat, FWIW.

Helbrute? Defiler (lol)?

Edited by Khornestar