Content Validity and Points Values Updated (again)

It's really hard not to be immensely frustrated with GW right now. I'm usually defending them, but in this case when I think of all the people ripping arms off of stuff and/or ordering Plasmaceptors, etc it's just really disappointing. 

This was a major move for the main player base. They do allege to playstest this stuff, but I continue to wonder what they are thinking with an 'ooopsie' like this.  Here's one situation where being screwed as a Chaos player I actually dodged this one and continue to 'enjoy' my nerfs unchanged. But I do feel for those of you who put out some money or hobby time making significant changes to your army and having that undone in ... 2 weeks time? Ouch.

4 hours ago, Khornestar said:

Certainly won’t be buying the World Eaters codex. I need a guarantee it will be useful in the traditional sense more than 4-5 months.

More money for plastic crack. :)

Exactly what I already told my mates.

"I don't want 'invalid-paper-stack' in 6 months, and with good discounts, that saved cost accounts for 1.5 of the two havoc squads I'll be getting for the army"

I guess the easiest thing to do for those that don’t want invalid materials is to stop listening to GW saying your stuff is invalid and decide with your mates whether you want to play it or not.

The only people that have a say in your hobby are the folks you play with - if you choose to expand that to tournament officials and others, that’s your call.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

17 minutes ago, Bryan Blaire said:

I guess the easiest thing to do for those that don’t want invalid materials is to stop listening to GW saying your stuff is invalid and decide with your mates whether you want to play it or not.

The only people that have a say in your hobby are the folks you play with - if you choose to expand that to tournament officials and others, that’s your call.

That's exactly what we'll be doing, but depending on how the next 6 months go, we might also be ignoring GW saying our stuff is invalid and it's time to move to a new edition, as well.

2 hours ago, Bryan Blaire said:

A group of my coworkers have done this. They just use the codexes and ignore everything else. 

2 hours ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

I think  this may be the first time I've seen they use this feature on their site but they have at least mentioned it on WHC without making a full article:

And in typical fashion, they gave a nonsense reason. Plasma exterminators for 0 points is unfair, but free multimeltas, thunder hammers, storm shields, cyclone missile launchers... etc, that is just fine.

Posted this on Dakka too, but I'll add it here.

In terms of rules, what makes them "valid" is whether or not they are consistent with the rules of the edition.

GW's "Content Validity Documents" are more about preventing the community from bad-mouthing them for having certain documents go OOP during the current edition and encouraging "season churn" (because apparently edition churn wasn't enough to drive sales on its own). Tournaments and public play spaces may take these documents seriously, but I think that most players probably don't even pay attention- they bring their OOP books, whose rules are still 100% consistent with the rules of the edition, and their opponents probably don't even bat an eye.

Certainly no one that I care to play with would ever take exception to me using the Inquisition rules from Octarius, or even the old Ordo Malleus Terminator data card from Pariah (which was excluded from Octarius), because there is nothing in any of those datacards that doesn't work with the current rules of 9th. Ditto on BSF content, provided said content hasn't been reprinted in a newer source.

21 minutes ago, FarvegNugan said:

I'm happy that people who panic bought plasma ceptors to exploit a bug got burned. Good for them. 

Yea how about those people who are abusing the aggressor bug? 45 to 30 is in the same realm of 60 to 40; they need to get burned too. Same with all those free blood Angels melta pistols, thunder hammers on terminators and whatever else.

It’s the end of the edition. One solution if you’re unhappy is do something else with your time you enjoy… wait until 10th drops and see how it plays out. This is what I did towards the tail end of 7th -> everything is pretty much a pure money grab now… remember Plague Marine bikers LOL !!! I got into HH and thoroughly enjoyed it. Take the frown and turn it upside down. :biggrin:

People that are upset about plasmaceptors okay… that’s your right. But think about this as a counter point - Tyranids got completely redesigned from the ground up… S8 Lictors is just TOTALLY bonkers to me. I still love the game though and don’t wanna be on the other side always unhappy with nothing good to say. I’m well into my 60s now and the game is something I’ll always love. Ninth was a very rough ride… SM got boned super hard and only now we got some good buffs so I’ll run with it.

This move baffles me. Obviously plasmaceptors should cost more points, but so should all sorts of things. It doesn't make any sort of sense to switch to free wargear and then make a panic change after two weeks. Units getting good stuff free is the obvious result of making stuff free so I don't see what they're upset about.