Rites of war and unlocking units as troops choices.

Diabolist Jonathan

Brothers and cousins, I approach the board with a simple question, for I am unable to find the answer on my own from among the rules.

When a Rite of War tells me "you MAY take unit x as troops choices....", does that mean that they can no longer be taken into the army list in their original battlefield role, like elites or fast attack, and only as a troops choice if your army is using the rite of war? Alternatively, can I take said unit X into troops slot and/or in their original battlefield role?

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered previously, at least I didn't manage to find a thread about this. Thank you for any and all answers beforehand!

Yeah, your good.

P278 rule book "...Rites of War or other special rules.......switch the categories of certain units but ....will be clearly explained in the given army list"

Most RoW use the term 'may', such as Pride of the Legion. 'May' is permissive, so you have the option of not doing it (as opposed to 'must')

On 1/31/2023 at 4:54 AM, bushman101 said:

'May' is permissive, so you have the option of not doing it (as opposed to 'must')

^^ This - it's optional, for example the Leviathal RoW allows headhunters to be taken as troops choices instead of FA, but requires more FA than HS slots, so it's not always prudent to do so. 

I think this Headhunter Leviathal wording is what could have caused doubt for some about the wording in other Rites of War. Because it explicitly states “A Detachment using this Rite of War may take Headhunter Kill Teams as Troops choices and Fast Attack choices.”  

Why spell it out if the “may” is permissive? I think here it’s a case of emphasis, rather than changing the meaning. As @Xenith says, good reasons to keep them as Fast Attack.

The fact that page 278 says “switch the categories of certain units” also introduces doubt. Have we seen an example of switching? All the examples I can see seem to put a unit in two categories - something that isn’t called out on page 278.

So I agree with the interpretation here, but I think it’s a bit more than “may” is not “must” because “must” would completely change the meaning and force you to take that choice. “You may take veterans as Troops (and may no longer take them as Elites)” does not equal “You must take veterans as troops”.

Edited by LameBeard

I have to admit, I read the rule differently. having seen the switch rule Lamebeard mentions above, I took the 'may' to indicate selecting the unit was still optional, but if you did, it then had to be in that slot. For example in the recon company:

"Legion Seeker Squads may be taken as non-Compulsory Troops choices in a Detachment using this Rite of War."

You can take them as non Compulsory troops, or you can not take them, it is not possible to take them as Fast attack as the switch category rule denies that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 9:14 AM, Cleon said:

You can take them as non Compulsory troops, or you can not take them

If it said:

On 2/9/2023 at 9:14 AM, Cleon said:

"Legion Seeker Squads may only be taken as non-Compulsory Troops choices in a Detachment using this Rite of War."

Then your interpretation would be right. As it stands, 'May' is still permissive.