10th Edition Codex unit Wishlist!

Orange Knight

Hey all.

As we have been made aware by various trusted rumour mongers (and educated guesswork), 10th edition isn't far away.

With every new edition we are guaranteed a new Marine codex close to the release.

I've decided to write up a list of the new units I'm hoping to see in the coming codex, and a few that I hope will appear in the chapter supplement (if they are even doing those going forward). Feel free to mention anything I've missed out.  I'll also rate the likelihood of each unit actually appearing in the next update with a rating of good > slim > almost none.

Also, the new Dread and Desolation squad that have already been announced plug some holes that I was hoping GW would fill.

HQ:

-Primaris Jump Pack Captain (Slim)

-Outrider Captain (Slim)

-Gravis Lieutenant (Almost None)

-Gravis Chaplain (Almost None)

Elites:

-Primaris Terminators (Good)

-Primaris Sternguard style unit (Almost None)

-Primaris Company Champion (Good)

-Primaris Legion of the Damned (Almost None)

Troops:

-Primaris Scouts (Slim)

Fast Attack:

-Primaris Jump Pack assault unit (Good)

-Full Suppressor Kit (Slim)

Lord of War:

-Plastic Astraeus (No chance lol)

Chapter Specific units:

-BA Primaris Dante (Good)

-DA Lion el Johnson (Good)

-IF Primaris Lysander (Slim)

-CF Primaris Pedro Kantor (Slim)

-UM Primaris Cato Sicarius (Good)

-WS Outrider Khan (Slim)

Personally not so much new unit, as a reworking of datasheets

all primaris characters condensed into one sheet for each type, with the option to mix and match loadouts (gravis captain getting new loadouts kinda supports this idea.)

intercessors same thing, so on and so forth.

it would be pretty cool to be able to build assault intercessors in gravis armor

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

There's already one armor-variant Primaris Librarian (Phobos), so it stands to reason that a Gravis Librarian isn't out of reach.  Same with the Lieutenant though if they'd bothered with that one I think they'd have put him in the Agastus box.

If we're spitballing for new Chapter specific characters, also throw Kardan Stronos on the list for the Iron Hands.

I'm kind of curious, since you rate the chances for all of the HQs you list as either "Slim" or "Almost None" (and aren't those basically the same thing?) - what new HQ units DO you think are likely? There are bound to be some.

Otherwise, I think we see new Gravis Close Support (go home Aggressors, you're drunk) along with the proper Jump Assault dudes and multipose Outriders at least. Multipose Suppressors may depend on whether they share a kit with the Assault squad. If separate, they might end up being an out-of-cycle release down the road as I don't see GW dropping multiple flight-stand squads in one wave.

As for scouts, right now I am expecting them as part of the 10.2 wave a la the Phobos range in 2019 - a Primaris Scout kit, Primaris Scout BIKE kit, and a Shrike-pattern jump squad with Lightning claws and some flavor of bolt pistol.

9 minutes ago, Lord Nord said:

I'm kind of curious, since you rate the chances for all of the HQs you list as either "Slim" or "Almost None" (and aren't those basically the same thing?) - what new HQ units DO you think are likely? There are bound to be some.

Otherwise, I think we see new Gravis Close Support (go home Aggressors, you're drunk) along with the proper Jump Assault dudes and multipose Outriders at least. Multipose Suppressors may depend on whether they share a kit with the Assault squad. If separate, they might end up being an out-of-cycle release down the road as I don't see GW dropping multiple flight-stand squads in one wave.

As for scouts, right now I am expecting them as part of the 10.2 wave a la the Phobos range in 2019 - a Primaris Scout kit, Primaris Scout BIKE kit, and a Shrike-pattern jump squad with Lightning claws and some flavor of bolt pistol.

I wouldn’t mind another melee/assault/shock troop gravis unit, but what’s your beef with aggressors?

@Inquisitor_Lensoven

I agree they can consolidate a lot of datasheets.

For example there are 2 Gravis Captain datasheets that should be consolidated into a single one.

Same with the Gladiator tank variants, the Storm-speeders, etc.

I don't think the Intercessors and Assault Intercessors should be a single datasheet. They are pretty different units in terms of function and could be given different and distinctive rules. For example the Assault Intercessors should be able to fight twice, whilst the regular Intercessors should have some rules around firing bonuses. 

@Iron Father Ferrum

I forgot about a Gravis Librarian. You're probably right that this is one of the more likely options. I do think that GW will eventually get round to releasing all these models, but I'm less optimistic that we'll get them all with the 10th edition codex update. I'm more in the camp of thinking that they'll drop the Primaris Jump Marines and perhaps these rumored Terminator, and then focus on some chapter specific HQs. Ideally every chapter gets more unique models, Iron Hands included. I also forgot about Vulkah He'Stan for the Salamanders. 

@Lord Nord

I hope you're right that Scouts will release in 10th. The current kit is simply grotesque and is in dire need of crossing the Rubicon.

I think GW can easily fix the Outriders with 2 simple steps:

1: Units should be 3-6 in number. ATV should be able to join the unit .

2: Release an upgrade sprue allowing some more weapon variation and the parts needed to update one model to an Outrider HQ (This can be a sepearte release or an updated box that includes it).

Also as I mentioned above I'm simply doubtful that a bunch of generic HQs will be released as GW will probably update the named characters. We already have 3 confirmed new kits - multipart Lieutenant, Brutalis, Desolators. Add Assault Primaris, Terminators and a few named HQs (Dante is heavily rumored) and that is already a very large wave of models.

I personally think that Pedro Kantor is one of the models GW absolutely have to focus on. The Crimson Fists are one of the codex chapters with a unique set of rules, and they have no model support for multiple editions.

Edited by Orange Knight

I just dont see the big three not getting at least a templar style release when its their turn, especially if theyre also getting a primarch. New deathwing and ravenwing units seems like a good bet. Theres also the rumored lion guard. And old charcters like asmodai, the ravenwing master etc. Maybe a second upgrade sprue with less focus on shoulder pads.

Expect ditto for BA when its their turn.

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

5 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

@Lord Nord

I hope you're right that Scouts will release in 10th. The current kit is simply grotesque and is in dire need of crossing the Rubicon.

I think GW can easily fix the Outriders with 2 simple steps:

1: Units should be 3-6 in number. ATV should be able to join the unit .

2: Release an upgrade sprue allowing some more weapon variation and the parts needed to update one model to an Outrider HQ (This can be a sepearte release or an updated box that includes it).

I agree on 1. I've been saying both of those sentiments for a while, in fact.

You lose me at 2, however. I don't see them simply releasing an upgrade sprue for a push-fit kit. Aside from everything else, the simple fact that the Sergeant's helm is maglocked to the model's waist means that an upgrade sprue couldn't achieve the aim of getting the max squad size up to 6. That model is ALWAYS going to be a Sergeant. And GW has shown themselves to be strict enough on their rules that if a given 3-man kit only has a Sergeant option for one model, they'll never go beyond the three-man limit for it.

(Granted, they COULD still just allow a single Invader to join the squad, but I have no reason to doubt that there will be an actual Outrider multipose kit at some point. The only question is whether they'll milk the push-fit kit as long as they can before giving us the "real" Outriders).

5 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

Also as I mentioned above I'm simply doubtful that a bunch of generic HQs will be released as GW will probably update the named characters. We already have 3 confirmed new kits - multipart Lieutenant, Brutalis, Desolators. Add Assault Primaris, Terminators and a few named HQs (Dante is heavily rumored) and that is already a very large wave of models.

But there would have to be new generic HQs - at least ONE - in the 10th Edition launch box. I can't see them including either a chapter-specific HQ or a previously-released model there.

Both Dark Imperium and Indomitus had three generic HQs, thus why I was surprised you didn't name any with a higher probability than "Slim to Almost None."

Specifically, I think you might be giving the Jump Captain too low of a chance. There would just about have to be a new Captain in that box and if there ends up being any kind of jump squad in there, I would expect at least one Jump HQ alongside it... of course, being GW they might go for the Lieutenant first, but that would just mean the inescapable Captain component in that box would be of some other flavor. Probably Gravis or (less likely) Bike.

There is already a credible rumor via Valrak that the launch box will include a new Librarian, but I don't believe he's said anything about the armor type or conveyance (bike, jump).  It could still be a new Tacticus model as far as that goes - I do think at some point we'll see another basic Librarian kit with Force Axe and Force Stave options.

But it'll probably be Gravis.

The main reason I don't think we'll see a Bike HQ in the 10th-ed launch box is that not only do those bike characters take up a lot of space, but they really only make sense if you're including a bike squad with them. And I can't see GW packing in either yet another push-fit Outrider squad OR a new multipose squad. The latter will sell through the roof on their own and frankly I just don't see GW breaking with the tradition of the last couple of launch boxes and including multipose kits for anything other than maybe some of the characters.

If you believe there will be Primaris Terminators, you have to assume there'll also be Terminator characters. At least a Captain, likely a support Librarian or Chaplain (maybe both both seems a stretch at that point).

If Primaris Terminators are a shoe in and deemed a "good" chance, I'd say that puts Gravis characters as "no chance" at that point. :wink:

I can see a Primaris Terminator Captain with Librarian theme with a squad, if they do the Primaris Terminator thing.

A Drop Pod that likely will have lots of guns is likely for Primaris too.

(I don't see anything for Firstborn despite the rumours of Terminators and this being a wishlisting thread)

Edited by Captain Idaho

2 hours ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

I just dont see the big three not getting at least a templar style release when its their turn, especially if theyre also getting a primarch. New deathwing and ravenwing units seems like a good bet. Theres also the rumored lion guard. And old charcters like asmodai, the ravenwing master etc. Maybe a second upgrade sprue with less focus on shoulder pads.

Expect ditto for BA when its their turn.

The interesting thing about Azrael is that he kept his original'ish wargear.  Obviously we haven't seen the stats yet, but I'm betting the bolter part gets upgraded to a Bolt Rifle.  A lot of the other names who crossed the Rubicon were more drastically changed - Shrike lost his claws, Khan lost his bike, Lysander and Hestan changed their whole deal into new people.   Some of that is if Primaris already had access to the kit they had before i.e. Lightning Claws and Thunder Hammers I suppose.   They didn't have combi-bolters either, but maybe the Lion's Roar is just that iconic like the Gauntlets of Ultramar.  I would have thought that would be the Sword but meh. 

If you want me to guess at the 10th boxed set - It's going to be Dark Angels themed with the return of the Lion coming up, or having just happened by the time it releases.  Looking at the DA combat patrol - my guess is Gravis Libby, 5 Terminators, 5 Heavy Intercessors and a Stormstrike Speeder.  The real question is if there's a BIGGER Pre-10th Early Access Indomitus type box.   I'd half expect a Breacher Squad type Storm Shields with a notch for resting your meltagun as a shooty version of the Bladeguard.   If they've got Jump Fight Primaris that'd be the place to drop them too.   They made a killing off the Indomitus box with people buying it for the Bladeguard etc then parting out the rest on Ebay. 

1 hour ago, Captain Idaho said:

If you believe there will be Primaris Terminators, you have to assume there'll also be Terminator characters. At least a Captain, likely a support Librarian or Chaplain (maybe both both seems a stretch at that point).

If Primaris Terminators are a shoe in and deemed a "good" chance, I'd say that puts Gravis characters as "no chance" at that point. :wink:

I can see a Primaris Terminator Captain with Librarian theme with a squad, if they do the Primaris Terminator thing.

A Drop Pod that likely will have lots of guns is likely for Primaris too.

(I don't see anything for Firstborn despite the rumours of Terminators and this being a wishlisting thread)

I’m not sure why you would assume Terminator HQs? Unless you mean names characters?  

It would be most welcome to get Gravis HQs including an Inceptor version before almost anything in the Primaris line. What’s going to sell more a Gravis Lt. , Chaplain, Etc .  or another named character

I don't think a Primaris Terminator HQ is necessarily going to be a thing even it a unit of Primaris Terminators is released.

For example, we never got a Centurion HQ.

Look at the stats of these rumoured Terminators: Toughness 5, 4 Wounds? These sounds more like Centurions. They could be a hard hitting unit that is unique within the codex.

I think given enough time GW will create a Marine model for anything.

It's how we ended up with dud, super-niche units like the Hunter tank.

A Primaris Terminator captain isn't out of the question, but it doesn't have to be released in the same wave as the unit.

Speaking of a Primaris Terminator Captains... Lysander would be very suitable for such an upgrade.

Edited by Orange Knight

I'm fairly sure a certain video game with a certain demoted captain will tie in with the coming edition launch.

So in my head there's this wishful thought that said former captain could get the miniature treatment, with an extra layer of wishful thinking bordering on ridiculous that said kit will also allow the sheer glut of equipment this character has access to.

In regards to more realistic wishlisting I would say DA/BA/SW should have the BT treatment first, so one or two extra units, some redone characters (maybe reseat Bjorn into a brutalis for the lulz).

After that it would only be HQs for me, like Phobos Techmarines, Gravis Chaplains, Terminator Lieutenants, etc. Maybe Cato Sicarius as Captain of the Victrix Guard, quietly retire Chronus and Telion and introduce Iron Hands Captain Chromus and Raven Guard Captain Terion:turned:.

Bjorn would get a unique redemptor with a claw to keep with his name

(Technically it works with both hands being claws, but him having the single claw hand been a thing since forever ago).

Space Marine 2 being a tie in to the launch of 10th seems really plausible, considering also that tyranids were rumored to be the 'main' focused in on enemy according to rumors. They're also due for a refresh

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

Since it's a bit of a wish list, I'm going with:

• Aggressors redone to use the proportions and styling of Heavy Intercessors, Eradicators and that newish Captain in Gravis armour. Right now they look awful.

• Terminators being in the limelight of the rumour mill has me wanting new Terminators. I want them Firstborn too, since giant Primaris Terminators is at odds with Chaos/Grey Knight and even Custodes Terminators and any new player will just be like "huh, why do Marines get giant Terminators the size of Obiliterators?"

• I'd like the older models finally redone. The Attack Bike design is ancient from 2nd edition! 

• biggest controversy... bring in new Firstborn. If you're not dropping them, bring in new models for them. If you want a new aesthetic, make it Errant armour. The Deathwatch Marines looked great and I actually used some of them for basis of kitbashes for characters and they look amazing.

Though I personally think that'll be when the Age of Darkness reaches the Scouring and there will be kits that straddle the line for both.

Edited by Captain Idaho

On 2/6/2023 at 9:09 AM, Orange Knight said:

I don't think a Primaris Terminator HQ is necessarily going to be a thing even it a unit of Primaris Terminators is released.

For example, we never got a Centurion HQ.

Look at the stats of these rumoured Terminators: Toughness 5, 4 Wounds? These sounds more like Centurions. They could be a hard hitting unit that is unique within the codex.

Lysander.  If you look at which ones have crossed and not crossed or new ones just released, its been the wargear.  Calgar - Aggressor,  Vulkan?  No Primaris Spear.  Lysander? No Primaris Thunder Hammer (at the time), No Storm Shield so you got a new Gravis shooty guy.   Uriel Ventris?  Bolter and Powersword?  Easy, Same with Mephiston.   Shrike is sort of the exception proving the rule - plus they changed his wargear.   I've heard rumors Dante's upgrade has been done for a couple years but they've been sitting on it.  My bet is they're waiting for Primaris Assault Marines and the BA Primaris Sanguinary Guard kits. 

Some of the things on my wishlist - change all the 3 to 6, or 3 and only 3 units to 3-10 and/or 5-10 depending.  3 out of 100 man squads are like nails on chalkboard.  Plus most of the 3 and only 3 units just aren't good enough because of that limitation - can't take enough bodies to matter.

Fill out the command.  Cap, Chap, and at least one LT in each armor variant.  Libby in most.  Make them synergize.  The Phobos Chap should deep strike, one of the Phobos LT's we already have should infiltrate like the captain. 

Jump Fight Primaris Infantry.  For the love of God, please finish this basic staple of Marine armies. 

Take the Aircraft co-exist but on different levels that rarely interact rules to apply them to Vehicles/Tanks vs Infantry.  Make Infantry Weapons (S 1-10) plink on tanks (New Stat Band in T11-20), make anti tank weapons unable to hit the broadside of an infantry  Probably requires some sort of Size stat.  Using a Size 3 weapon on a Size 3 target = regular to hit rolls, Size 3 weapon on Size 2 target (think speeders) Hit on 5's.  Size 3 weapon vs Size 1 target (think Grots and Guards) hit on 6's. 

Create the Objective Denial ability for bonafide tanks and big nasty walkers.  Some walkers may have both.  You can't use ObSec within X" of Objective Denial - the theory is that 20 Grots next to an Imperial Walker are not controlling the objective, they're hiding from the Knight.  Meanwhile an impulsor debarking a squad of Assault Intercessors is going to flip the Grots from securing to hiding while they evaluate their tactics to get rid of the big scary Impulsor AND the Intercessors, allowing the Assault Intercessors to secure the objective.  Mechanized infantry becomes an interesting playstyle all its own - especially if the Transport tanks like Chimera, Impulsors and the like get ObSec and ObDenial to represent a small unit of infantry crew that just stays with the Transport until they need to Secure. 

Fix Terrain levels and rules so that non-flying vehicles get around easier.  Not as easy as infantry, but easier.  This should also apply to placing Fortifications such that there's always a few spots. 

I think it's DA Themed, not DA specific.  Like Indomitus wasn't any specific chapter but had Big Four Special Rules.   I don't think we'll see another Starter Set that is any chapter specific so much as one painted in a Non-Ultras color scheme that may lend itself to a specific fluff but not rules.  i.e. it may have a Chap and not a Cap, and some Terminators but they won't have Deathwing markings sculpted on the shoulder pads. 

This isn't likely at all and is pure wishlisting on my part, but I'd actually like to see some more options available for existing units (including bringing back ones that once existed). Specifically, reviving the other weapon options for Dreadnoughts (either via a new kit or upgrade sprues ala the HH Dreads) and giving more weapon options to the Redemptor (as upgrade sprues, because obviously the kit's too new to replace). Likewise I'd love to see the old Land Raider Prometheus make a comeback.

More reasonably, Pedro Kantor and Gabriel Seth would be nice to see as new minis, be they Firstborn rescaled or Primaris. The OGs were lovely sculpts that still hold up (scale and material aside) and it'd be good for them to make a comeback.

In a rare example of me actually wanting a character Primaris'd and their previous version removed/Legends'd, Logan Grimnar needs to get off that ridiculous sleigh!