[30k] Legion Contemptor Upgrades - DA, WS, IF, EC, IW, SoH

1 hour ago, Harrowmaster said:

They're legion unique units like Lerneans or Justaerin though. The others are just contemptors with legion decals.

True, but the unique bit of the Blood Angels one is the torso rear jump pack - with the claws on the normal kit it could easily face the 'torso upgrade' treatment.

I mean, they could have (at the very least) have put them all on a  Made To Order service for the period that they're LCTB

Gives the customers some goodwill - "Hey, these are going away, but if you place an order before <LCTB_Date> you'll get one. It may take us a little longer to make it, but you'll be guaranteed one!". Plus it gives them some more money, I mean how many sales are they missing out on because people want to buy an item that will be going away soon but FW have already sold out of existing stock but won't make more...

I think I checked a day or so ago and only the Raven Guard and Relic ones weren't out of stock on the UK store, then they announce the LCTB... with only two in stock.... GW is really racking up the screw ups this year.

I was hoping they would do a restock before the LCTB. I desperately wanted an Alpha Legion one (and had hit the "email me" button) but it has been out of stock for a little while. Still not sure which Loyalist legion I want to collect (BA, IF, DA) but that Blood Angels one looked amazing. 

19 minutes ago, Gothical said:

I was hoping they would do a restock before the LCTB. I desperately wanted an Alpha Legion one (and had hit the "email me" button) but it has been out of stock for a little while. Still not sure which Loyalist legion I want to collect (BA, IF, DA) but that Blood Angels one looked amazing. 

I wanted one too and my main gripe is that it was out of stock for a bit before the announcement, I doubt they ever intended to restock it now.

Aw shucks, seeing how they initially showed up as "out of stock" I was hoping for a last batch or at least a made to order, but it seems they just pulled the plug on them. Not very cool on FW's part, if I remember correctly at least with previous LCTB you had the margin of the made to order. 

7 hours ago, No Foes Remain said:

I think I checked a day or so ago and only the Raven Guard and Relic ones weren't out of stock on the UK store, then they announce the LCTB... with only two in stock.... GW is really racking up the screw ups this year.

They did announce the LCTB in the article a week ago though, which is why all but two were out of stock.

They’ll soon be marked as Last Chance to Buy, and after that will disappear for good, so if you want one before the upgrade set becomes available, you’ll need to order it soon.

That said, I certainly would have preferred a made to order option.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

What I do not like about this is the wasted opportunity.

GW/FW could have made a plastic frame that contain all the part need to make a full Legion version.

The plastic parts are just

- A5/A6 and A16/A17 for the shins.

- A23 and A24 for the knee.

- A27 for the groin

- A3 and A14 for the upper hips

- A38, A39 and A40 for the torso

- B2, B3 and B4 for the shoulder.   

I am sure that if you removed all the "unneeded" parts from frame A, you could easily get room for part B2, B3 and B4.

And perhaps the even be room for extra options for maximum customization.

On 2/17/2023 at 9:39 AM, Robbienw said:

A sad loss to all 30k collectors.  Some of these models aren’t even 4 years old!

i'm sympathetic to the notion these replacement products being inferior is disappointing, but things go out of print all the time. 4 years is actually an incredibly awesome window of time to grab something compared to other collecting centric hobbies. for example, if i don't order a joytoy action figure when it's up for pre-order, there's a good chance i will never be able to buy able to find that product available every again. 

Edited by Wispy

31 minutes ago, slitth said:

What I do not like about this is the wasted opportunity.

GW/FW could have made a plastic frame that contain all the part need to make a full Legion version.

The plastic parts are just

- A5/A6 and A16/A17 for the shins.

- A23 and A24 for the knee.

- A27 for the groin

- A3 and A14 for the upper hips

- A38, A39 and A40 for the torso

- B2, B3 and B4 for the shoulder.   

I am sure that if you removed all the "unneeded" parts from frame A, you could easily get room for part B2, B3 and B4.

And perhaps the even be room for extra options for maximum customization.

Looking at this it's even more bizarre they didn't keep the sculpted shoulders too (add a connector bit to the elbow) and just bundle it with sprue A for the legs and let people choose which weapon sprue they want.

48 minutes ago, Cleon said:

Looking at this it's even more bizarre they didn't keep the sculpted shoulders too (add a connector bit to the elbow) and just bundle it with sprue A for the legs and let people choose which weapon sprue they want.

I even made a quick copy paste with frame A as an base.

If you only keep the necessary parts you can get 2 torso options, 4 head options, 2 shins options, 2 shoulder options, 2 groin options and 1 upper hips.

And the parts from the base contemptor kit and you have a lot of options.

(Edit You could also make 2 legion contemptors with this kit)

A waste of possibility and sales, what how I see the new legion kits.

X.jpg

Edited by slitth

My biggest issue with this is a lot of the contemptor torsos don't look right without the extra detail provided with the rest of the kit. Iron Warriors and Word Bearers at the forefront of that.

Plus it's not like you could slap a transfer on it and fix it. No, you'll have to either sculpt it with greenstuff or carve it out to get it to look right.

Right now I'd say 3rd party just got a lot more appealing. Honestly though I'm kinda caught off guard as some of those sculpts were fairly new. 

Another point, Horus Heresy is even more of a passion project than 40k a good chunk of the time. Sure the sculpts were pricey and the resin is finicky but they were undoubtedly contemptors of that legion going back to my second point.

This also has me concerned about the Leviathan Dreads as multiple legions don't have theirs yet. Are we going to be just given a torso and told to make do? Or will they just go ahead and strip them away entirely instead?

Anyway that's my two bits. If you need anything I'll just be returning this soap box.

Totally agree @Irate Khornate. HH is much more narrative and character-driven so it seems lame to sand off the unique elements of models in the name of cost efficiency. 

I hope that the early enthusiasm for HH 2.0 gives GW the confidence they need to just bite the bullet and kill Resin for everything but the Primarchs, and even for them eventually. IMHO, each legion should have a sprue for a blinged out dread, heads, frames of characterful bits for bodies and vehicles, etc. 

I understand the logic of keeping everything the same for economies of scale, but in a world where Khorne's *dog* gets two frames for cultist models for a 2nd tier game in the second tier system, the poster boy factions should get more customization options. Especially when you consider that all these investments would have applicability in the 40K as well!

Edited by Flaherty

• 2 weeks later...

I think it got lost in the hubub around that 40k tease/announcement /whatever it was :sweat::laugh: but these are up for pre-order next weekend:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/12/sunday-preview-khorne-and-slaanesh-unleash-an-excess-of-idiosyncratic-violence-upon-the-mortal-realms/

BS like this has killed all motivation to keep painting my iron warriors for this new edition and I've had the legion specific dread for years. This has to be maddening for new players it would almost seem as though gw wants you playing a mirror match of the same mk6 and naked contemptors. Very lame. Hope the old world isn't fumbled like this. Back to mordheim before they revamp it and drive it back into the ground 

Edited by eyedrops